Thinking about going for my class 2

Hi all

I have been thinking over taking my class 2 hgv license for a while now. I work on the bay at a supermarket and ended up speaking to a lot of drivers and generally getting interested in the idea.
It’s taken me a while but I think ive found a good school not too far from me - it’s 2start training in Reading. I’ve spoken to them and paid a visit to their site, they have their own lorries and it generally looked well kept and good overall.

Just looking for any other advice really. Overall I’ve only had good feedback from drivers themselves - often saying it’s the best thing they ever did and they love their job or similar quotes.

I just have a few things on my mind like getting a job if i get my license and whether I will have to work agency for years before I find something secure. Also what are the most favoured type of delivery.

Thanks

Dave.

I am now also looking at Wallace school of transport in Reading which I found through this website. Seems to be very good after having a read.

Hi Dave - I’d say just go for it, and with whichever of those (if any) trainers you feel happiest with. Even if you decide you don’t like the job at least it’s something to fall back on if you need it.
You may have to do your time with agency work but not necessarily - soon as you start training or once you pass, get the word out to all those friendly drivers you’ve been chatting to & you may well land yourself straight in with a company :slight_smile:

Oh, and then go for your Class 1 :wink: :smiley:

Hi face. Yeah everyone keeps telling me to just do it - just a lot of money and all that! slight risk/worry about types of work and getting a job. Probably just it being the unknown but everyone with a high has been there I guess. I have thought it’s a good qualification to have and like you say can always go back to it if need be.

Enjoying the site so far. Lots of great discussions and info to look at and some great pics.

Cheers

Hi Dave, I’m also in the same boat as you and will be starting training next month. Really looking forward to getting stuck in. Out of interest which supermarket do you work for? It speaks volumes if alot of the drivers are enjoying their jobs as there are so many out that don’t! Definitely would speak to those drivers once qualified as they may be able to put you in touch with someone, it may work to your advantage.:

I work for sainsburys. Do you work on a loading bay too? Honestly rarely come across an unhappy driver. One thing they do say though is that it’s all about night work as there’s no traffic. I currently work nights but am looking to change to days - I want my life back!
I will definitely keep talking to them as they’ve given me lots of useful advice already
Cheers

So I called Wallace school of transport today , a place recommended by this site and in all looks very good. They were helpful and friendly but they suggested not doing an assessment drive as it is a bit pointless in an auto lorry now days as it’s so much easier to drive. This being the case they just recommended a 4 day course - 3 days driving and test on 4th day.

Does this sound okay? Anybody else had where they suggest to not bother with an assessment drive?

Cheers

dave_garner:
So I called Wallace school of transport today , a place recommended by this site and in all looks very good. They were helpful and friendly but they suggested not doing an assessment drive as it is a bit pointless in an auto lorry now days as it’s so much easier to drive. This being the case they just recommended a 4 day course - 3 days driving and test on 4th day.

Does this sound okay? Anybody else had where they suggest to not bother with an assessment drive?

Cheers

A little odd IMO

they suggest to not bother with an assessment drive?

Perfectly normal. IMO (and I’m very much on my own with this) assessments are a waste of time in most cases. Excellent marketing tool eg “look how well you drive this truck” etc etc and “make your cheque payable to”. We offer assessments (FOC) but few folks take up the offer.

Assessments will ONLY tell the trainer how you are driving at that moment in time (probably with minimal instruction) so he can compare it with what is required for test. Experience will then assist in arriving at a decision. What no assessment can tell is how quickly you will learn, how much you will retain, how you will cope under pressure etc etc.

So we miss out the marketing assessment and give you what the vast majority of folks pass tests with.

The offer of an assessment IS there and is taken up by folks who are concerned about the prospect of driving a truck or have seen some of the wrecks from other trainers on the road and want to be sure they’re not letting themselves in for a bad experience. Others who normally have assessments are those who have failed elsewhere and need sorting out before taking another test. Sadly, there’s far too many of these. (BTW, many will have been “assessed” by their previous trainer). Another group of folks are those with considerable 7.5 tonne experience, or those going from bus to truck or vice versa.

Sadly, the assessment offered by some trainers is really nothing more than an exercise in getting folks in the seat and selling them what available time they have.

Remember as well that the person carrying out the assessment is often (normally) totally unqualified and untrained in the art of assessments, let alone driving instruction.

We find that folks are very happy to come to the training centre, have a look around, have a sit in a truck and meet the team. All questions are answered in depth. Having done that they are totally reassured they’ve come to an excellent source of training and will, in their own time, generally return to book.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Sadly, the assessment offered by some trainers is really nothing more than an exercise in getting folks in the seat and selling them what available time they have.

I strongly disagree with that statement Pete.

As trainers on this this forum we all tend encourage wannabe drivers to visit training providers before booking and have a trial drive.

I invite people to have a free assessment and explain to them to treat it as a free lesson, it gives me the opportunity to assess their ability so I can determine the exact course duration and give a exact price.
It also gives the potential customer to see if they are comfortable with the training truck and also compatible with me as their instructor.

How can you quote a course duration without assessing their ability?

Most people do book in.

My advice is TRY BEFORE YOU BUY

Paul :smiley:

My contention stands that it’s actually impossible to tell exactly how long someone will need and, therefore, give an exact price. It’s perfectly possible to have a really good guess and put a price on that. Not the same thing.

With the “guess”, a good number of people will pass and some will fail. That is the nature of the beast.

I don’t ever recall getting it horribly wrong with folks doing our standard course. So I stand by my original post.

I also repeat that anyone is welcome to have an assessment if they are unsure. I prefer to call it a “trial”. Same thing but maybe IMO more honest.

I am the first to say that folks should always visit unless booking on rock solid recommendation. Bearing in mind that some come 200 miles + to us for training, it’s a bit tricky to do an assessment. Although there was a forum member who did travel that distance for one.

Definitely don’t agree Pete.

I have assessed some drivers who have had natural ability and only needed 4 hours training and passed at their first attempt saving them a lot of money.

Yes I could of got more hours out of them but I like to run my business on honesty and have done from day one.

I understand you have a great reputation Pete and people are prepared to do the residential option which I understand an assessment isn’t possible.

I stand by my comment an assessment drive is best, but we all run our businesses the way we think best.

Someone capable of passing in 4 hours would be aware they are better than average and would ask for an assessment.

I think I mentioned that anyone is welcome for a free assessment but it’s certainly not compulsory.

Peter Smythe:
Someone capable of passing in 4 hours would be aware they are better than average and would ask for an assessment.

Come on Pete how many times does somebody ring you up and says they are really good. Sometimes they are but a lot think they are better than they are.

This is why an assessment drive is important.

Wow thanks for the helpful responses although I’m still in two minds.

Wallace did say basically the same as what you’ve said Pete.

If I do go with Wallace they offer a starter pack for medical, D2 and training material which you need to go down to their site in London to attain so will be seeing the company technically before I pay for anything. The company does seem reputable though and as I said I came across it on the recommended schools on this site. Just all a bit confusing at the moment.

I want to put my cash towards the right thing!

This is why an assessment drive is important.

… which is why we offer them. How many more times do I have to say that?!? It’s just that they’re not compulsory.

Wow thanks for the helpful responses although I’m still in two minds.

Wallace did say basically the same as what you’ve said Pete.

If I do go with Wallace they offer a starter pack for medical, D2 and training material which you need to go down to their site in London to attain so will be seeing the company technically before I pay for anything. The company does seem reputable though and as I said I came across it on the recommended schools on this site. Just all a bit confusing at the moment.

I want to put my cash towards the right thing!

I believe that you’ve made a sound choice. The company is most certainly reputable. Check out dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

You will find them on the list. Being on that list is not simply a matter of “joining a club”. There are many hoops to jump and they have to stay “jumped”. In fact, my annual audit visit is tomorrow and they will go through everything as thoroughly as they see fit.

This is the only course of redress, apart from Trading Standards, that is available to anyone thinking of booking. Simply, if you are mis-treated in any way, a call to DVSA will have repercussions that non-accredited trainers simply don’t have to think about.

So I say, enjoy your visit, ask all the questions, have a good poke around and book your training with confidence.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Sadly, the assessment offered by some trainers is really nothing more than an exercise in getting folks in the seat and selling them what available time they have

So why criticise other trainers for doing them?

I have never criticised anyone for doing assessments. I am merely sceptical as to their worth when it comes to determining training duration for a new starter. We are asking folks to do something (drive the truck) without actually teaching them how to do it. Sorry, but I question the value of that.

We DO assessments for those who ask for them but they are treated as a trial above anything else. As you have said, to make sure the candidate is happy with the truck and trainer. I still maintain that it’s impossible to firmly state the exact point at which someone will be ready to take a test from that initial drive. Some will reach the point more comfortably than others. It’s always been the case and always will be.

The fact is that some trainers (maybe not Paul) use the assessment as a marketing tool.

Out of interest, we did an assessment today with a driver with no large vehicle experience. Amazingly, he’s having the normal 14 hours + test. He may be ready at 10 hours. In which case he’ll gain more experience and hone skills to a superior level. He may be ready at 13 hours. Either way, the object is to be able to pass the test at the appointed time.

Had the candidate simply called us, he would have been given 14 hours + test. As it is, he wanted to have a trial drive. Which is fine because he’s had what he wanted. And that is what we do.

And have done, with a degree of success, for the last 40 years. Dozens of forum members have trained with us using this system; don’t remember too many negative posts. But a great number of positive. Maybe, just maybe, we have an idea how to do this.

Thanks for the advice Pete. I totally understand understand your angle so I’m glad I asked the question. The lady from Wallace was very helpful and explained it in similar terms.

I will go ahead and book my starter pack with them, pay them a visit whilst doing so, and go from there.

Is 3 days training and test on 4th day a normal/good set up? The lady said an extra day is £240 but they normally run the course over 4 days successfully, in an auto.

Peter Smythe:
I have never criticised anyone for doing assessments. I am merely sceptical as to their worth when it comes to determining training duration for a new starter. We are asking folks to do something (drive the truck) without actually teaching them.

I actually do start teaching them on the FOC assessment drive, I can assess not just on their driving ability but also how they deal with instruction. It gives me a bigger picture.

For the record Pete I have never questioned your reputation or integrity of your company.
You are an excellent training provider and I respect you immensely.

I like to give my views and thoughts from another perspective, but I belive we are on the same wave length.