Thinking About Taking The Plunge

I have been working in a factory for the past 20 years and have just taken voluntary redundancy which leaves me with about 2 yrs before needing to find work. I really enjoy driving and have driven various bits of kit, albeit a long while ago, from Tractors to massive dumper trucks on opencast sites.

So the question is after spending hours trawling this site, is it worth going for all the bells and whistles in one go and spending upwards of 3 grand, only to find I can’t get work. It won’t help having 3 points either sp30.However being in the luxurios position of not having to earn I could try some of the local hauliers offering to go out with drivers unpaid and hopefully picking up a few hours driving here and there under the supervision of an experienced driver and I hope this leading to full time work.

I am under no illusion that I will get rich from this but being paid to drive has always been unreal to me especially the dumper trucks they were fun.

So what are the views go for the lot or do a bit at a time or forget it.
I am thinking

C then C+E then adr and driver cpc + maybe Hiab.

Any help and advice welcome .

Hi sootydog

Welcome to the forum.

What a lot of questions, thats a good thing by the way.

The job situation will to a degree depend on where you are in the country, at present we can guarantee work for our passes, before any one starts shouting yes we can, and we arrange an interveiw before you have spent any money and the job offer is in writing subject to passing.

Next your age is in your favour, I know unusual aint it.

To do your C and then C+E including Medical Theory HPT VAT and test fees should come in well under £3,000.00 a top line would usually be £2,700.00 and as I say that would normaly be a top line for every thing.

If you would like information on your area feel free to PM me and if I can I will try to help ie; work/ trainers etc in your part of the world.

I would say if you want to do it go for it I wouldn’t want too be without mine.

Good luck for the future Rick.

Hiyyaaa sootydog & welcome :smiley:

Welcome :slight_smile:

sootydog:
It won’t help having 3 points either sp30.

Minor points like this won’t hinder you, it’s over 6 points / previous DD convictions that cause problems.

Hi and welcome.

Getting to C+E is great but you have to realistic and mange the whole provess step by step. Before you can drive an article you have to pass the cat C test. That should be your primary objective.

Dont pay all up front either. Just pay for the bit you need to get first. So pay £1K for the class 2, get that done and then look at paying out for the C+E.

Go direct and not through a 3rd party. If something sounds too good to be true it’s just that.

Please google my user name and viist the 1st website (natural listings)
Lots of useful info and a comprehensive database of established and reputable training providers.

Good luck!

hgvlgvtraining

Big thanks for all the advice . I had already sussed out the go direct approach after foolishly contacting a broker and being bombarded with phone calls asking if I was ready and offering alsorts of discounts to get me to comit. Sorry guys used to be a salesman so know the tricks lol.

The biggest concern I have is finding work there seems to be loads around here albeit involves some travelling to get to the depot . I guess with everything coming through the midlands and with the prospect of a new freight terminal opening up next year it might be possible to get some.What I am afraid of is getting my licences and not being able to get out there.

Still as my brother said at the w/e (he’s been doing it 20 yrs) at some point in the future there will again be more work as old hands like him think they’ve had enough and head off to do something else. He’s had enough now and is retraining, quote “the nice gods at vosa have convinced him enough is enough and I don’t wanna do it anymore.”

So my redundancy has come through and next week its off to see Peter Smythe and or J coates .

I live in Derbyshire about 15 mins from Nottingham ,10 mins from Derby,20 mins from Burton etc even east midlands airport aint that far.

Also Its a way for me to get into Canada when the kids have up and left.

If you can’t find work here there are a good few hauliers out there who will sponsor you so I’ve been told. My cousin owns his own haulage company out there, currently has two units standing due to not having drivers.I told him their all on the ice roads lol.

Anyway please excuse any typos and thanks again for the input.