THINK BIKE.

WHY??, Most bikers( although not all of them) change from normal Human beings into idiots the minute they put their helmets on, and this includes some biker truck drivers.They obviously don’t realise there are blind spots on a truck and more often than not the driver cant see them coming up on the inside, or, overtaking on blind bends.
It shouldn’t be think bike for truckers it should be “THINK” for bikers. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Thats an easy one to answer!!

Its because ‘Think brainless ■■■■ with a death-wish’ doesn’t fit on the signs… :smiley: :smiley:

I’m a trucker who’s also a biker (albeit a part time biker nowadays) and also has a PSV licence.

I’m also 1 of the ones you mention… Have all the best intentions before going out on my bike, but the helmet goes on and all cares go out of the window (no windows on bike… erm… ok).

Can’t help it, must be the performance or something, had a couple of major accidents years ago, didn’t slow me down a bit.

But, I also don’t expect anyone to THINK for me, I hate the muppets that deliberately block us when we’re filtering or sit on white lines in queues like that’s going to get you anywhere quicker, but when I’m being an idiot, I’m looking after number 1, my senses are on edge, I’m looking for every twitch, every glance and I’ll make a decision if I can do that manouver or not without any help from the other person.

Also hate the morons (usually elderly people and women…) who don’t like you passing them, there’s a massive queue of cars, so you sometimes can only pass 1 or 2 at a time, you get these morons then driving right up your arse, why?? I’ll be gone again in a couple of seconds, just let this bus past or the white lines end etc…

Took my caravan over mid Wales a few weeks ago though and saw some absolutely ridiculous riding, wrong side of road round blind bends or blind crests, they’re what we call statistics and the NHS call donors, I do some really stupid manouvers, but 99% of the time, only as far as I can see - sure we all get things wrong now and then, but these bloody idiots weren’t stuck out there, they were just thick.

I can to an extent understand the " If youv’e got it ,use it" attitude, but what about the poor bugger who kills you because of your bad riding/ driving.through no fault of his/her own they have to live with the fact that they have been instrumental in killing someone who just wants to show off.

waynedl:
I’m a trucker who’s also a biker (albeit a part time biker nowadays) and also has a PSV licence.

I’m also 1 of the ones you mention… Have all the best intentions before going out on my bike, but the helmet goes on and all cares go out of the window (no windows on bike… erm… ok).

Can’t help it, must be the performance or something, had a couple of major accidents years ago, didn’t slow me down a bit.

But, I also don’t expect anyone to THINK for me, I hate the muppets that deliberately block us when we’re filtering or sit on white lines in queues like that’s going to get you anywhere quicker, but when I’m being an idiot, I’m looking after number 1, my senses are on edge, I’m looking for every twitch, every glance and I’ll make a decision if I can do that manouver or not without any help from the other person.

Also hate the morons (usually elderly people and women…) who don’t like you passing them, there’s a massive queue of cars, so you sometimes can only pass 1 or 2 at a time, you get these morons then driving right up your arse, why?? I’ll be gone again in a couple of seconds, just let this bus past or the white lines end etc…

Took my caravan over mid Wales a few weeks ago though and saw some absolutely ridiculous riding, wrong side of road round blind bends or blind crests, they’re what we call statistics and the NHS call donors, I do some really stupid manouvers, but 99% of the time, only as far as I can see - sure we all get things wrong now and then, but these bloody idiots weren’t stuck out there, they were just thick.

I cant fault any of that post, it isn’t the lorry or car drivers problem to move, it isn’t your job to try and block the roads either or look after the bikers. Just look after yourself, and we will get round you or past you by lane splitting or up the inside.

One of the worst things anyone can do is move over to the extreme left of the road, all that does is chuck all the crap onto the road. Just drive in the natural position if you hadn’t seen a bike and let us worry about getting past. As waynedi said, we are on edge, and are more alert than anyone cocooned in a cab or a cage.

Unfortunatly most ‘bikers’ are really two wheel motorists who are simply out of their depth on modern race replica machines. 180bhp on a machine that might weigh around 200kgs?

If you think that 90% of the bike press, the manufactuers and even the riding position of the machines themselves encourages fast, aggresive riding it’s not surprising that accidents will happen.

As truck drivers it is up to us to be more mature and ‘Think Bike’ and just take that second glance in the mirror. I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t want ‘bikers’ bouncing off the wheels of my truck even if it is their fault.

W

i used to own one of these mega fast suicycles and i agree that they are completely unsuitable for everyday motoring.
they arnt half fun though the trick is to survive untill your old enough to realize that it is better to buy something less extreme and slow down a bit i now wobble around on a little red tractor....its just kwik enough to give me my fix :sunglasses:

commonrail:
i used to own one of these mega fast suicycles and i agree that they are completely unsuitable for everyday motoring.
they arnt half fun though the trick is to survive untill your old enough to realize that it is better to buy something less extreme and slow down a bit i now wobble around on a little red tractor....its just kwik enough to give me my fix :sunglasses:

Some people just wobble around regardless.

I have lost count of the race reps I’ve caught up with and had to pass in North Wales in my old transit on the way to Enduro Meetings.

W

I live in Mid Wales which is very popular with bikers.Most of them are fast,but fairly safe riders.The minority as in most other things in life give the rest a bad name.One thing that annoys me is bikers pushing to the front of a queue whether its traffic lights with no room for them,also coming through traffic in towns on either side of your vehicle.Anyone not alert could easily knock one off ending with a fatality.

Wheel Nut:
One of the worst things anyone can do is move over to the extreme left of the road, all that does is chuck all the crap onto the road.

I never knew that. I always like bikers to know i’ve seen them when they come up behind, is that something that is useful to you guys or does it make no difference?

Saaamon:

Wheel Nut:
One of the worst things anyone can do is move over to the extreme left of the road, all that does is chuck all the crap onto the road.

I never knew that. I always like bikers to know i’ve seen them when they come up behind, is that something that is useful to you guys or does it make no difference?

To be honest, I always move to the left too, it lets them know I’m aware of them and gives them room to pass etc, anything kicked up shouldn’t bother a biker as they’d be to the right anyway.

But, as I said, when I’m on my bike, I don’t expect anyone to move for me, I’ll make my own space and use the performance to get past quickly. (Suzuki RF900 if you want to know).

Never been interested in the plastic penises that get all the press, got a gsx650f which does everything I want or is reasonable on the road. I generally avoid the ‘bike’ roads especially at weekends, fed up getting held up the the corners by fat gits on R1s and gixxers :unamused: . Biggest problem is born again bikers who passed their test decades ago and jump on modern bikes and think that they have the same reactions and don’t realise just how much quicker and more powerful modern machines are.

Plenty of superb roads those type don’t know about, don’t need the Cat n Fiddle, Hartside, Devil’s Bridge or Horseshoe pass. Otherwise just drive your road and I’ll ride mine :wink: . I do try and make room for bikes to pass though.

As a rider myself (gsxr600k4) the problem seems to be the born again mob who, after years off a bike go out and buy a liter sportsbike with a power to weight ratio of 1H.P per kilo.

I’m of the opinion that the motorcycle is by far the most demanding of all road vehicles and to be safe and competent they need to be ridden regularly. To venture out in the summer months on a machine capable of reaching silly speeds on roads you are un-familiar with is going to end in tears.

The same roads you know in your car/truck are totally different on a bike, whoever sitting in a car/truck some of the moves look a bit scary but are usually safe (if not legal).

I love em, and my 25 mile ride to work only takes 15 minutes and sets me up for the day. :smiley: :smiley: (Just wish I could still do decent wheelies)

Dave the Renegade:
I live in Mid Wales which is very popular with bikers.Most of them are fast,but fairly safe riders.The minority as in most other things in life give the rest a bad name.One thing that annoys me is bikers pushing to the front of a queue whether its traffic lights with no room for them,also coming through traffic in towns on either side of your vehicle.Anyone not alert could easily knock one off ending with a fatality.

It’s like truck drivers, you or more likely your car driving friends only notice the bad trucks drivers or they don’t understand why a truck driver manourved in a certain way. Eg keeping over to right on a left turn.
It’s the same with bikes. most spot the idiots or don’t really understand them because they’ve never ridden one or if they have it would not be much more than a moped.

I’ve been riding bikes for far longer than I’ve been driving trucks. It’s a great escape, I think the reason is when you are riding a bike you are totally focussed on that, no Radio, phones, food, drink or passengers talking to distract you from the task in question.
Filtering through the traffic is safe enough, provided you are alert and not going to fast to react. You’d be amazed how much you spot, you learn to see the gap created by the driver who is letting another from a side street or the road position of a driver who is about to turn right without indicating.
As for ging to the front of the lights. why not! I’m going to be away from the lights a lot faster than you, even with a quick check to make sure nobody has just jumped the other set and will take me out.

As for Think Bike, well if it’s aimed at your average car driver it should just read Think, as we all know most drivers are driving about either with brain in neutral or with thier attention on anything but driving.

muckles:

Dave the Renegade:

It’s like truck drivers, you or more likely your car driving friends only notice the bad trucks drivers or they don’t understand why a truck driver manourved in a certain way. Eg keeping over to right on a left turn.
It’s the same with bikes. most spot the idiots or don’t really understand them because they’ve never ridden one or if they have it would not be much more than a moped.

I’ve been riding bikes for far longer than I’ve been driving trucks. It’s a great escape, I think the reason is when you are riding a bike you are totally focussed on that, no Radio, phones, food, drink or passengers talking to distract you from the task in question.
Filtering through the traffic is safe enough, provided you are alert and not going to fast to react. You’d be amazed how much you spot, you learn to see the gap created by the driver who is letting another from a side street or the road position of a driver who is about to turn right without indicating.
As for ging to the front of the lights. why not! I’m going to be away from the lights a lot faster than you, even with a quick check to make sure nobody has just jumped the other set and will take me out.

As for Think Bike, well if it’s aimed at your average car driver it should just read Think, as we all know most drivers are driving about either with brain in neutral or with thier attention on anything but driving.

I did ride bikes years ago,passed my test etc.I agree up to a point.You say about filtering through traffic being safe enough which it probably is if the bike rider is experienced and alert.Most lorry drivers are watching the mirrors for bikes coming up the side,but the bike rider can’t always see whats going on ahead of the lorry.I have nothing against bikers.I was chatting to six riders from Oxford yesterday who were on their way to North Wales.
On average through the summer in Mid Wales in the last few years there’s been a dozen fatalities involving bike riders.They can’t anticipate what lies ahead how ever good they are.

Dave the Renegade:

muckles:

Dave the Renegade:

I did ride bikes years ago,passed my test etc.I agree up to a point.You say about filtering through traffic being safe enough which it probably is if the bike rider is experienced and alert.Most lorry drivers are watching the mirrors for bikes coming up the side,but the bike rider can’t always see whats going on ahead of the lorry.I have nothing against bikers.I was chatting to six riders from Oxford yesterday who were on their way to North Wales.
On average through the summer in Mid Wales in the last few years there’s been a dozen fatalities involving bike riders.They can’t anticipate what lies ahead how ever good they are.

Oxford is the brand not their home address :laughing:

Dave the Renegade:

None of us can anticipate everything, but you try and minimise the risk. Getting past a truck isn’t as easy as a car, but it’s just another manourve that has to be weighed and planned, if it can’t be done with a margin of safety then it’s not done.

As you siad in your previous post you see many idiotic rider on the roads of North Wales. I’ve seen them and won’t make excuses for dam right dangerous riding, Travelling a warp factor 3 with no time to react and escape route is going to end badly, that’s what you learn, if you want to, but weve seen them on thier flash new bikes and shiny leathers, flat out on a straight bit of road, but no idea how to deal with corners, manhole cover, or change in road surface.

Saaamon:

Wheel Nut:

i find this behaviour very useful.however i dont take this as an invitation to pass coz it might not be my intention. but i know that you know im there which is good…thank you :sunglasses:

commonrail:

Saaamon:

Wheel Nut:

i find this behaviour very useful.however i dont take this as an invitation to pass coz it might not be my intention. but i know that you know im there which is good…thank you :sunglasses:

The problem round Derbyshire is they dont mend the roads, they just sprinkle marbles on it with a barrel of tar, eventually it all piles up in the verge and gets flicked up if someone goes too close to the edge, the other thing they have done is put Double White Lines and 40mph limits on almost every road from Tamworth to Matlock :imp:

ZB was made from the word flick

The problem up my way tends to be the opposite with our 2 wheeled friends. They often travel at a snail’s pace to take in the scenery, usually traveling with other bikes in a long string with only a bike’s length in between so nobody can get past. Hit a straight, off like a shot then back on with the brakes for the tiniest of bends. If you’re lucky enough to be able to pass them they’ll all skip to the head of the queue at any temporary roadworks and you get stuck behind them all over again. I prefer the ones that ride like they’re touching cloth and need to move in a hurry.