The Zenobia Ferry

Moonraker:
The Zenobia was a ro-ro freight vessell that was intended to run between Yugoslavia (the link says Greece) and Syria. Unfortunately it sank off the cost of Cyprus on it’s maiden voyage in 1980. There were 108 trucks on board of which about 5 were British. All passengers and crew were sefely evacuated.

Does anyone have first hand experience of this event or know anyone that was on it? I do remember reading an article in Truck magazine in 1980 shortly after - can anyone find it and post it?

There are some really good photos on the link - even one of a British registered MAN. Does anyone know who ran it?

toprun.ch/truck/03-2006/zeno … iewer.html

How true I dont know,but my gaffa,tells me one of his truck sank but driver ok,hicks transport it was a scania 111 I havent had chance to speke to named driver

daiecho143:

Moonraker:
The Zenobia was a ro-ro freight vessell that was intended to run between Yugoslavia (the link says Greece) and Syria. Unfortunately it sank off the cost of Cyprus on it’s maiden voyage in 1980. There were 108 trucks on board of which about 5 were British. All passengers and crew were sefely evacuated.

Does anyone have first hand experience of this event or know anyone that was on it? I do remember reading an article in Truck magazine in 1980 shortly after - can anyone find it and post it?

There are some really good photos on the link - even one of a British registered MAN. Does anyone know who ran it?
Sorry should read before comment,its alan hobbs ,known as santa he still works at hicks just found a video link utube and there,s a scania on it possible the one

How true I dont know,but my gaffa,tells me one of his truck sank but driver ok,hicks transport it was a scania 111 I havent had chance to speke to named driver

daiecho143:

Moonraker:

Sorry should read before comment,its alan hobbs ,known as santa he still works at hicks just found a video link utube and there,s a scania on it possible the one

Hello everybody,
2 OHS trucks weere on the ferry,one reefer and ıne til trl.Unfortunately couldn’t get a penny from the ınsurance company at the tıme

daiecho143:

daiecho143:

Moonraker:

I think one of the OHS drivers was Nick Carter?

Just to add to this thread.

There was a strong suspicion among our drivers at OHS that the vessel was deliberately sunk. I understood that she had developed a a list over several crossings. This became more pronounced on the final one but the drivers were surprised after their evacuation to wake up the next morning and find she was on the bottom as they did not think the situation was that serious when they left her the night before.

Mick Hudson was one of the OHS drivers and Robert Hobbs died at Londra camping Istanbul after a heavy drinking session and choked to death on his vomit. Regards Crow.

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Mick Hudson was one of the OHS drivers and Robert Hobbs died at Londra camping Istanbul after a heavy drinking session and choked to death on his vomit. Regards Crow.

Sad news,crow looking at images un real how they did.t recover an y trucks :open_mouth: but

geoffthecrowtaylor:

Get your facts right Geoff, it was not Robert Hobbs who died at the Londra. It was his Brother Dai Hobbs who passed away. RIP Dai.
Regards Jamie.

Correct Jamie.

I think if i recall all 3 ships had an inherent stability issue. They had to build some substantial side sponsons into the the other 2 when they converted them into the Fiesta and Fantasia for Sealink. (not withstanding allowing for the extra weight of the added superstructure.)

Sorry boys I was under the impression it was Robert.Crow.

M&C Jamie:
Get your facts right Geoff, it was not Robert Hobbs who died at the Londra. It was his Brother Dai Hobbs who passed away. RIP Dai.
Regards Jamie.

Hello Dave, wasn’t there three Hobbs brothers and one of them was called Alan or am I having another senior moment :confused: .

Regards Steve.

To add to this thread also Andy, If I remember correctly many drivers claimed to have lost their wallets but then later it turned out that travellers cheques were being cashed… :smiley: :smiley:

Jazzandy:
Just to add to this thread.

There was a strong suspicion among our drivers at OHS that the vessel was deliberately sunk. I understood that she had developed a a list over several crossings. This became more pronounced on the final one but the drivers were surprised after their evacuation to wake up the next morning and find she was on the bottom as they did not think the situation was that serious when they left her the night before.

mushroomman:

M&C Jamie:
Regards Jamie.

Hello Dave, wasn’t there three Hobbs brothers and one of them was called Alan or am I having another senior moment :confused: .

Regards Steve.

Unsure steve but will find out. :confused:

There were 3 Hobbs brothers Alan, Dai and Robert, they all drove for Hicks .Crow.

Have been looking at youtube vids of folks diving the wreck. Very interesting to see, and the trucks in places look as though they would clean up well!
This one is a goody, 8 min 25 sec

zenobia wreck 2nd lorry deck

Sorry, can’t make the youtube link work, but cut 'n pasting the title works fine

Yes sad day when Dai Hobbs passed in the Londra ,he like a drink did Dai and it was his demise after choking on his vomit in his cab :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Here you go Sas777,

m.youtube.com/watch?v=JaiGhrLKfl4

Regards Jimski