The Zenobia Car Ferry Wreck Pictures

hi jamie, the 2 sister ships to zenobia were chartered by sealink for dover–calais and were re-named fantasia and fiesta. regards terry

top cat leek:
hi jamie, the 2 sister ships to zenobia were chartered by sealink for dover–calais and were re-named fantasia and fiesta. regards terry

i used to catch the fantasia a lot back from calais and hated it. the other boats were ok but the fantasia just wasnt set out properly.

Sister ships are still running;

truck magazine april 1981

Thank you that was exactly the pics I was looking for :slight_smile:

I was just wondering if anyone has any underwater pictures of the trucks that went down on this ferry.I know that Truck magazine done an article on it years ago and they had a lot of pictures.I just am amazed at all the F88s,141s ,etc that went down with the ship and they are all still down there rotting away.Its still a very popular dive site for people that go there on holiday.Maybe a few older drivers on this forum remember this ?All passengers got off this safely by the way ,just in case ye thought I was morbid LOL

Swedish roll-on-roll-off ferry fully loaded with 108 trailers and trucks, regustered to carry up to 140 passengers. She sunk on her maiden voyage to Cyprus in 7 June 1980 off Larnaca’s fishing harbor. Zenobia is now lying on her side at 42 meters. She has two decks, and two stern doors (1 port, 1 starboard) , powered by two 7 cylinder, single acting, oil-fired two strokes engines. They delivered 18,760 bhp. She sank outside Larnaca’s fishing harbour at 2:30 am on Saturday the 7th of June 1980. Her history and the intrigue over her sinking deserve an article on their own but to give you an idea the rumours range from computer error and insurance scams to Middle Eastern security forces.
The most popular theory though surrounds her computerized ballasting system, as this reportedly developed a fault while on route to Larnaca. A maintenance team was sent aboard to correct the problem and successfully managed to correct the list to 5°. However, at 5pm on the evening of the 6th June 1980 the Captain mistakenly dismissed them, dispatching them back to land. This was later to prove to be a fatal mistake as the following day at 2am she sank, taking her cargo to her final resting place… Possition: 34,53.5 N, 33,39.1 E (1.500 meters from the shore).

How about THIS?, or THIS? A few good pics HERE as well. amazing what you can find in 10 minutes with Google…

Sorry,I should of mentioned I have seen the Dive site websites and the pictures on them. :blush:
I was kinda just looking for any photos not long after it sank cos the trucks were more recognisable.I remember Truck magazine doing a report on them years ago.
Thanks
Sean

[She sunk on her maiden voyage to Cyprus in 7 June 1980 off Larnaca’s fishing harbor. Zenobia is now lying on her side at 42 meters.]
i dont know where the story of her maiden voyage to cyprus came from ,as i was on board her for several crossingsbetween greece and tartous in syria.her final voyage was from koper in yugoslavia to tartous syria.in june 1980 she was then about six months old .the zenobia had been joined on the yu. syrian run by two sister ships of similar spec. they were as the story goes having a fuel economy competition and the zenobia was running light on ballast . as she changed course round cyprus the ballast tank pumps, pumped the wrong way ! she then developed a list . as the trucks on board were not chained down to the decks the most of them slid sideways thereby increasing the list this was when the ship was abandond.
the two sister ships later had some superstructure changes and were introduced onto the dover / calais run with a fancy disco dome in front of the funnels. one was renamed the fiesta but i cant recall the other ones name .
so any would be divers can familiarise themselves on a chanel crossing.without getting wet.

Try WWW.TOPRUN.CH has a whole album of photos and some other good stuff as well