The Weather!

What is the panic? We are having a bit of a wet and windy spell with some flooding, but how would you like the weather to be?
We are in the middle of winter and it’s plus 9c, if it stays like this I will be happy.
It could be minus 9c with a ■■■■ load of snow bringing a total disruption of the road networks, who remembers the M11 grinding to a halt after less than half an inch fell on it stranding thousands for hours.

I feel sorry for those that have had their house’s under water since before xmas.

I would hazard a guess that a motorway grinding to a halt because of some snow would be seen as largely irrelevant by those who have seen their houses flooded and all their possessions destroyed by the flood waters in Somerset.

I would imagine the same is thought by the people in Devon and Cornwall who’s property has been damaged and destroyed by the storms.

And as for travel disruption,
one motorway closed for a few hours due to snow.
Or 2 counties cut off from the rail network for months while the repairs are carried out to the line at Dawlish.

It’s all relative and we all tend to just look at our little world and fail to understand the impact these things have on others.

Personally, I’d rather be stuck on a motorway in a little snow for a short time than have to evacuate my home and watch all I’ve worked for float down the river !

I agree with Tgtrucker. Flooding isn’t an issue if you’re not immediately affected by it, but you’ve only got to look at the news and watch a couple of clips about Somerset to see that it’s a lot more than “a bit of a wet and windy spell”. I can’t imagine how different it would be if it was, ooh let’s say Chipping Norton, that had been under water for a month.

Part of the problem In Somerset is the lack of maintenance of the drainage on top of that the constant building on flood plains don’t help, Bung a few 100mil tons of concrete in one place and the water that would be soaked up has to go somewhere.

jessicas dad:
I feel sorry for those that have had their house’s under water since before xmas.

We all do, but it wasn’t what the post was aimed at, living in one of the most flooded cities in the country it’s something you get used to! That’s York by the way.
But then building houses on flood plains is asking for trouble, ask the residents on the housing estate near Selby, were about 100 homes were flooded out a few years after they were built because a stupid council gave permission to build them!
I was on about the weather in general, they keep saying on the news we are having the worst weather for years, but I’ve seen no snow yet, or experienced black ice or double figure minus temperatures this winter.

At least with snow,it doesn’t get into peoples homes, like flood water does. Alright snow causes disruption regarding travel etc, but these high tides, plus the prolonged wet weather has caused millions in damage.
Another factor in the inland flooding,is lack of drains and rivers being cleaned out, also a general lack of funding all around over the last 30 years.

I would have the prisoners and people doing community service or whatever its called now out clearing ditches and streams allowing water to flow.The people who think that disposing of old washing machines in waterways would be castrated .Most towns and cities have brown land spaces that could be used for new builds so there would be less urban sprawl encroaching on flood plains.

Dave the Renegade:
At least with snow,it doesn’t get into peoples homes, like flood water does. Alright snow causes disruption regarding travel etc, but these high tides, plus the prolonged wet weather has caused millions in damage.
Another factor in the inland flooding,is lack of drains and rivers being cleaned out, also a general lack of funding all around over the last 30 years.

So, what is better with the climate we are having at the moment, freezing weather and loads of snow, or a bit of flooding now and then with the rest of the country mild and dryish.
Yes lack of investment doesn’t help and I should think the environmental department will get a roasting for what has gone on at Somerset levels, but they aren’t entirely to blame, the mild weather doesn’t help, all that rain at this time of year should be snow, with a slow thaw near the end of winter, with out causing to much flooding.
What’s happening there could happen any were, we used to deal with flooding in York once or twice a year, well it used to be that, but with the way the weather has gone over the last few decades 12 times in 1 year is possible now, floods happen.
And I suppose for some one who has never experienced it will have a lot of sympathy for the victims.
But the actual question was do you prefer the winters as they are or would you prefer to have proper winters with loads of snow and ice and freezing temperatures.

Er snow turns to water, can remember flooding due to melt!
As for me anything under 20c is cold.
I blame my ancestors!