The medical - a quick query

Hi folks.

Im wanting to become a driver, but I have a quick query regarding the medical, specifically the urine sample you have to give. What is the purpose of it? Is it just to test for diabetes, or does it test for other things?

The reason I ask is that I take antidepressants, which I’d rather not really mention and I’m concerned that it might be seen as a reason not to pass my medical. I’m perfectly fine to drive but it seems like it might be an unnecessary hurdle to me getting a license…they’ll probably want to contact my doctor etc and it’s going to delay my progress.

For example in job interviews in the past, if there’s been a question about health and I’ve answered honestly about being on antidepressants, it’s caused me no end of hassle and I’ve wished I’d never mentioned it. It’s delayed me getting jobs and I believe I’ve been discriminated against in the past because of it.

If they’re going to do tests on my urine sample and find it, then I’ll have to tell them. But if it’s just a test for diabetes, i don’t see any point in going into it.

yes as far as i am aware they only test the urine sample for diabetees (excuse spelling) . So i would not worry about it . You say your on anti depressants now wait till u are getting up at three o clock every morning . I think most drivers would say they are depressed lol :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

it is for testing for diabetes. i think you pee in a pot and they stick an indicator stick in it to make sure you aint about to drop dead from your sugar levels.

they dont need to know you are a bit fed up (only kidding) you should be fine it is a physical medical not a full body MOT!

The doc who does the test is a full doctor and bound by the same oaths as your own GP. I mentioned my depression to the one who did my medical, and it wasn’t a problem.
Keep it quiet in job interviews, but the doc should be fine with it.

Ali:
Hi folks.

Im wanting to become a driver, but I have a quick query regarding the medical, specifically the urine sample you have to give. What is the purpose of it? Is it just to test for diabetes, or does it test for other things?

It also tests your aim to see if you will are suitable to do work which involves nights out. Fail to get it all in the bottle, with no drips or spillage, and you will have the restriction code P911 endorsed beside your C and C+E entitlement on the licence, which effectively restricts you to work which gets you home every day and may unfortunately restrict your chances of gaining employment. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

If it’s only a temporary problem then fine, but if not and depending on the medication, then it will raise insurance issues, not to mention the moral ones.

climbs down off horse…

I know how you feel buddy, a few years ago working on machining centres I had a rough split with ex, GP put me on some bloody good pills (amytriptylene, never been so spaced out), work didn’t like it too much (two unauthorised absences), and although programmers were supposedly safe from redundancy, my name found it’s way to the list. I didn’t really care though, still had some pills left :open_mouth:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Ali :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Ali

I had the medical done just a couple of weeks ago. The first hurdle you need to cross is…being able to pee! and into the tube! Not sure if its just me but i canny pee on demand lol. Doctor sticks the litmus paper in the pee to see something or other. I doubt very much that the tablets you are on will stop you in any way from getting the licence! So long as you dont have heart problems or sleep disorder, bad eyesight or anything, i presume you will pass fine :slight_smile: (dont come and find me if you dont though :wink: )

Come on lads tell him about the prostate test lol.

Make sure you lube up before you go.
and pray the doctor doesnt have big hands :wink: :laughing:

Ali:
Hi folks.

The reason I ask is that I take antidepressants, which I’d rather not really mention and I’m concerned that it might be seen as a reason not to pass my medical. I’m perfectly fine to drive but it seems like it might be an unnecessary hurdle to me getting a license…they’ll probably want to contact my doctor etc and it’s going to delay my progress.

For example in job interviews in the past, if there’s been a question about health and I’ve answered honestly about being on antidepressants, it’s caused me no end of hassle and I’ve wished I’d never mentioned it. It’s delayed me getting jobs and I believe I’ve been discriminated against in the past because of it.

If they’re going to do tests on my urine sample and find it, then I’ll have to tell them. But if it’s just a test for diabetes, i don’t see any point in going into it.

No offence but…
If you read through some of the posts on here, then you will think…
You will need anti depressants to do this job.
In reality…
It’s a great job with many great people who will help you if you ask.
NEVER BE AFRAID TO ASK IF YOU DON’T KNOW!!
When I first started out I asked all sorts of stupid questions because I did not know or was errring on the side of caution!
I’ver never had anyone not help me.
Good luck with the medical.

Cor blimey, what a warm welcome. Cheers folks. And thanks for the info. :sunglasses: