Medical questions. Mental health

Hi everyone

Just booked my medical. One of the questions on the d4 asks about psychiatric illness. I don’t have any significant diagnosis but I’ve been off work before with work related stress/anxiety. Previously taken anti depressants for this. Was all handled by GP and never referred to services. Currently absolutely fine. This was a minor period.

Do I need to declare this with private doctor? I’m assuming they’ll probably ask for more info from gp. Does anyone have experiences like this

Thanks

I’m sure the leaflet that comes with the form is worded something like ‘significant’ mental illness; some stress/depression/anxiety is not significant, hospitalised due to psychosis etc is.

To an extent the process is based on declarations. Just be open with the doctor and he/she will decide if records are required. I guess if it is a doctor other than your GP, an application may need to be made for some of your records. I guess it may come down to the doctor’s interpretation of significant. Only a medical professional can make these decisions.

Thankyou for the advice.

I think I’ll just be honest really. I’m sure it won’t prevent me from driving but don’t want hassle with delays etc.

If you tried to get sickness benefit down at the job centre you would be declared fully fit for full-time work. Don’t even mention it, or you won’t get your licence for months until you have been assessed by doctors. Anyone can get stress, and the important thing is not to drive that day until you are well rested and ready for a full day’s work.

jonathan_dyane:
I’m sure the leaflet that comes with the form is worded something like ‘significant’ mental illness; some stress/depression/anxiety is not significant, hospitalised due to psychosis etc is.

I’ve recently been for a D4 medical and depression is considered significant by the doctor I seen. My GP advised no need to advise DVLA at the time. I’ve been on an antidepressant for a couple of years now due to grief, but the doctor that done the medical said it’s very common and shouldn’t be a barrier. That was only a couple of weeks ago so I’m currently waiting to hear back from the DVLA. If I need to jump through further hoops so be it.

Best to be honest as non-disclosure would likely cause issues if found out further down the line.

Sent from my Nokia 5.3 using Tapatalk

silberrucken:

jonathan_dyane:

I’ve recently been for a D4 medical and depression is considered significant by the doctor I seen. My GP advised no need to advise DVLA at the time. I’ve been on an antidepressant for a couple of years now due to grief, but the doctor that done the medical said it’s very common and shouldn’t be a barrier. That was only a couple of weeks ago so I’m currently waiting to hear back from the DVLA. If I need to jump through further hoops so be it.

Best to be honest as non-disclosure would likely cause issues if found out further down the line.

That’s reassuring thank-you. Yeh i suppose it’s all very subjective. Depression can be deemed significant. Dvla particularly seem to care about psychotic depression. I’m sure I’ll be absolutely fine as it’s minor. I will mention it d4 doctor though too.
Many thanks

Tlgamble:
Thankyou for the advice.

I think I’ll just be honest really. I’m sure it won’t prevent me from driving but don’t want hassle with delays etc.

Not concerned with anxiety or depression …

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Monkey241:

Tlgamble:
Thankyou for the advice.

Not concerned with anxiety or depression …

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Does that mean they are not interested in anxiety/depression ?

When I went for my medical it seemed the norm from the doctors reaction, he didn’t even mark anything in the box.

I’ve just heard back from the DVLA today after sending in my provisional application about a month ago. They’re writing to my GP to confirm my fitness to drive. This is likely due to medication I’ve been on for a number of years which helps to manage my anxiety and depression. It’s not good to have a delay, however, I’d much rather have to jump through extra hoops to satisfy them than to risk not telling them at all.

I went through exactly the same mate.