Tax on 2nd job

Hello

Would just like to ask if anyone knows the score when paying tax and NI on a 2nd job. I work full time on paye and have decided to do agency work for extra income, also paye. I’ve only been doing it the last few weeks and the last two payslips I’ve received I haven’t paid any contributions. I’ve tried to contact hmrc to double check this as I’ve been told there is a threshold but trying to contact them is a bit of a nightmare. Anyone had similar?

Thanks

I would have thought that you would have been put on what used to be called an emergency tax code with the second job, not sure if it still called that nowadays.

Dave…

dave docwra:
I would have thought that you would have been put on what used to be called an emergency tax code with the second job, not sure if it still called that nowadays.

Dave…

Thanks. So will hmrc correct that once I’ve earned more money after a few more shifts on the agency or is it down to me to notify them? Thanks again.

You’ll most like get a ‘BR’ tax code meaning everytg8ng on second income will get taxed at 20% from the first penny as your tax free allowance will normally stay with your main job.

astanka:
Hello

Would just like to ask if anyone knows the score when paying tax and NI on a 2nd job. I work full time on paye and have decided to do agency work for extra income, also paye. I’ve only been doing it the last few weeks and the last two payslips I’ve received I haven’t paid any contributions. I’ve tried to contact hmrc to double check this as I’ve been told there is a threshold but trying to contact them is a bit of a nightmare. Anyone had similar?

Thanks

Have you completed a new starter form or P46 stating it is a second job?

How it works on a second job is that as your tax allowance is normally all applied to your first job (unless you contact HMRC and ask them to split it) then all pay on the second job is taxed at basic rate of 20% and NI paid on it all, no thresholds are applied as they’re applied to your main job.

Conor:

astanka:
Hello

Thanks

Have you completed a new starter form or P46 stating it is a second job?

How it works on a second job is that as your tax allowance is normally all applied to your first job (unless you contact HMRC and ask them to split it) then all pay on the second job is taxed at basic rate of 20% and NI paid on it all, no thresholds are applied as they’re applied to your main job.

No I haven’t. I gave my information such as NI no. and informed them I was going paye and thought it would be sorted from there. On my payslips I have the codes w1 and m1 along with my usual tax code. I’ll try and get in contact with hmrc because don’t wanna get shafted.