Do you pay more tax if you work for more than one agency?

if you have two permanent jobs you usually pay extra tax on your second job what about agencys?

bubsy06:
if you have two permanent jobs you usually pay extra tax on your second job what about agencys?

If you have reached your non taxable amount (the amount you can earn before you start paying tax) in your first job then the second job (incl agency) will be fully taxed at the standard rate

bubsy06:

its the same. Only one agency will be able to tax you using your allowance code as you will have to choose one as your ‘main’ job. The other will probably be basic rate and sort it out at the end of the tax year.

You will have to nominate one agency as your main employer, make it your preferred one. You pay the normal tax rates on your earnings from this one.

Any other agencies you sign up for, you will pay emergency tax on your earnings. At the end of the financial year, you can claim back any overpaid taxes.

This is pretty straight forward really, but you will need to keep ALL of your pay slips and do your sums carefully.
At the same time as you claim back your overpaid taxes you can claim back any expenses paid out as a direct result of your being an agency driver. The costs of getting and keeping your Drivers CPC up to date for example.

Or you could always get the second agency to source you through an Isle of Man employment agency who will create a bank account for you there and not tell the money grabbing sods.

Apparently of course!! :unamused: :wink:

you do dont pay extra tax just tax at the required rate
the 2nd employer deducts tax without an allowance
your first / main employer allows for the allowance
you may pay less national Insurance but this may lead to problems in later years
its all a nightmare
die young it saves all the hassle :laughing:

If you have no other income or allowances (like most of us) then:

Assuming that your total income is less than £35,800 you will pay 20% of everything you earn above £6,035 to Mr Darling. You will also have to pay National Insurance at 11% of everything above £4,680.

So:
If the total earnings from your two jobs is £24,000 then You would pay
20% of £24,000 - £6,035 = £3593 — plus
11% of £24,000 - £4,680 = £2125

So out of that £24 grand the government will take £5 ¾ grand

These figures make a lot of assumptions. Ni is weekly so if you earn less than £90 total one week then you pay no NI for that week. Income tax is annual so all your income is added up for the year to calculate the amount, and, of course, if your code is different then you will have a different allowance.

NB: National Insurance does NOT pay for hospitals, pensions, insurance, or any other benefit. NI is just another form of income tax.

If you want to know more then go here:

direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd … /index.htm

N2N Transport,
I live in the I.o.M. and soon will be moving to S/W Scotland.
My wife and I have been taking advice on what to do with my redundancy/savings, when we move.

As we would like to be able to minimise our tax liabilities we considered having an Offshore savings/deposit account left here in the I.o.M.
That was until we found out about the European Union Savings Tax Directive.

Anyone with an Offshore account in a I.oM bank who also has an address in the British Isles is subject to this Directive now.

You have two options:-

Pay Retention Tax in the I.o.M. this money is then sent to the Inland Revenue, without them knowing who the Tax has been taken from, you stay anonimus.
The rate of tax deducted is 20% from July 2008, and 35% from July 2011.

Very little tax advantage now and in 2011 a great disadvantage unless you pay UK tax at the highest rate.

Second option is the Exchange of information.
Manx banks must send your local tax authority, your identity, residense, amount of savings income and the period it relates too.

So it’s really no advantage trying to avoid paying tax unless you are taxed at the highest UK rates.

But, if your wages are paid into a Current account in the I.o.M. this account does not come under the EU Tax Directive. So you can have a Manx Bank cheque book and Debit card to draw your your wages from that the Inland Revenue know nothing about.

So any of you men working regulary for an Agency should consider an account over here, it’s easy to manage an account with internet banking.

You could even buy an off the shelf Manx company for yourself and gain other advantages, but that’s another story