Weekend job Tax

Hi. Just a question for those, who do/did weekend driving as second job, about taxes for second job. If I’m driving just every second week, how much I can expect to pay in taxes for that job? How I understand, my main job is not going to be affected by this. Main job income last year about 22000. And at some point I think to take 2 weeks holidays in main job and try full 2 weeks in driving lorrys. How it’s going to affect then may income? And then later, if all good, move completely to driving job. Thanks.

If PAYE basic rate on all you earn.

mac12:

Thanks for replay. And that means, 20% from anything in that second job plus NI at 12% from £155 up? So in normal circumstances when working just 1 day a week from example £90 I get £72 (90-20%) and if I work full week, like
90x5=450£
450-20%=90£ and (450-155)-12%=35.4£
On hand 450-90-35.4=324.6£
So it’s that right?

Yes but that’s no different to if you had a pay rise in your current job

You should also have NI deducted, as you’re using your NI allowance on your first job. Unless things have changed since I was a reservist.

HMRC may also decide you need to self assess, as they randomly select people with more than one job, and demand a tax return be completed.

SiAmon:
You should also have NI deducted, as you’re using your NI allowance on your first job. Unless things have changed since I was a reservist.

HMRC may also decide you need to self assess, as they randomly select people with more than one job, and demand a tax return be completed.

U mean, I have to pay NI from first £ in second job, because I earned more than £155 in first/main job? And, sorry, but what means “self assess” in taxing?

SiAmon:
You should also have NI deducted, as you’re using your NI allowance on your first job.

I don’t think so. From moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e … an-one-job :

The threshold for starting to pay National Insurance is £155 per week (2015-16) and there’s a limit for each job. So, if you earn less than that from one of your jobs, you won’t have to pay it on that job.

However, unlike income tax, NI is assessed on a weekly basis. So, if you earn over £155 in a single week, you pay NI on the earnings over £155 in that week. So, you still might end up paying some NI (although probably not much).

To the OP: assuming that you’re paying basic rate tax on your main job, and your second job isn’t going to take you into the higher rate tax bracket, just ask your second employer to use tax code “BR”. That means that all your pay will be taxed at basic rate (20%), and you should be sorted.

mac12:
Yes but that’s no different to if you had a pay rise in your current job

Not quite. A pay rise in the current job wouldn’t be NI-free for the first £155/week, whereas in the case of a second job, it is.

ricelis:

mac12:

Thanks for replay. And that means, 20% from anything in that second job plus NI at 12% from £155 up? So in normal circumstances when working just 1 day a week from example £90 I get £72 (90-20%) and if I work full week, like
90x5=450£
450-20%=90£ and (450-155)-12%=35.4£
On hand 450-90-35.4=324.6£
So it’s that right?

I haven’t checked the arithmetic, but the basic idea of the calculation is correct.

Thanks all for info. Let’s see later- first I need get that 1st Class and CPC and then the most important thing- the job… :laughing: