Take the plunge?

After a few opinions here please;

As you might’ve seen in some of my previous posts, I’m not having a very good time of it at work;

My boss doesn’t know a thing about driver’s hours or the wtd (we’re a small engineering firm) and it’s making life difficult to say the least. He often wants to know “why it’s taken so long” and gets quite upset about it, getting a newer truck hasn’t helped either as the old one wasn’t restricted.

Anyway, in general; I’m on £6/hour to drive a 7.5tonner (though I’ve got a C), I don’t get treated great and they expectme to break the law for them from time to time - I don’t, my license is worth too much to me, and then I get an ear bashing :imp: On top of that, my hours are all over the place so I can’t get into a routine sleep-wise which, obviously, can’t be good :open_mouth:

Right, having signed up with an agency a couple of months ago and after the day I’ve just had, I gave said agency a ring this afro- and got quite an encouraging response, he’s been trying to hold out until he can get me enough work to be pretty much full time which is what I originally wanted (true or not, I don’t know) but when I told him anything over 2-3 days per week would do he seemed very excited, I’ve agreed to have a think over this week but may well jack it in and hope the agency work’s enough, looks like he can get me work as of next monday if I want it :slight_smile:

What would you do?

Imp: I’ve not tried the firm you suggested yet mate but I will do - thanks again :wink:

Keep a diary mate…log down everything that goes on, don’t show or tell anyone about said diary.

What I’m saying is…get proof! of what goes on, you might need it if it comes to taking him to a tribunal. Don’t run bent, if its expected of you to run illegal then blow the whistle, but be prepared to be out of work when you do so. If you have evidence, it will be in your favour when the [zb] hits the fan.

intend to get out before that if I can mate, the main question is;

Do I put up with it for now (don’t worry, I stick to the rules), or do I jump into the agency and hope they can find me enough work?

Really, three or four days (or nights) a week on class2 money would probably pay the same if not more than I’m getting now, but in my eyes it’s a bit of a gamble, hence the question

darkseeker:
do I jump into the agency and hope they can find me enough work?

In the current climate…hope is all you can “hope” for!!

If you are in full time employment, stick with it until you find a full time job, Don’t hope an agency will keep you working!

Koop is right on 2 counts.

1.Keep a log of all indescretions,and if you do decide to walk,don’t tell your boss,but pass it onto VOSA.Companies that flout rules like this,deserve all they get,and I make no apologies for saying so.

2.The agency market is a little slack at the moment,so tread carefully.You may want to consider looking for another full time job in the mean time.

Ken.

Don’t trust an agency!
Seriously, if you aren’t happy then get out. But don’t expect agencies to get you work without prompting. As a newbie to the agency they will always put their trusted drivers first.

Which can be good as it means once you get known and trusted with them, then you can find yourself with a good constant stream of the top jobs they have.

If you are going to go full time on the agencies (which I would highly recommend, it works well for me) then sign up with at least one, and preferably two, more. 3 agencies will give you a full diary pretty much every week, and even on quiet weeks and early in the year, you could get 1-2 days work off each per week which will see your diary full enough to make a living.

BUT never leave a full time job to go work for a single agency that don’t know you very well.

With all agencies, ring them every morning (and I do mean EVERY morning) until its them ringing you the night before - it’ll take a month or so, but once you are in their good books they do generally earn you the bigger paychecks.

Good luck mate,

Alex

ah, ok, I can see your point and I’m already looking for a full time job.

so, generally the feeling is to stay put for the time being?

it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I ended up without work for a week or two at a time. I’ve got very few out-goings as, strangely enough, I’m living with my parents at the moment (lets not go there). Would you advise against it even as something until I find a full time job?

The reason I ask is, I’ve heard quite a few people say they’ve got full time jobs by working for somebody through an agency :bulb: :question:

Scarab:
Don’t trust an agency!
Seriously, if you aren’t happy then get out. But don’t expect agencies to get you work without prompting. As a newbie to the agency they will always put their trusted drivers first.

Which can be good as it means once you get known and trusted with them, then you can find yourself with a good constant stream of the top jobs they have.

If you are going to go full time on the agencies (which I would highly recommend, it works well for me) then sign up with at least one, and preferably two, more. 3 agencies will give you a full diary pretty much every week, and even on quiet weeks and early in the year, you could get 1-2 days work off each per week which will see your diary full enough to make a living.

BUT never leave a full time job to go work for a single agency that don’t know you very well.

With all agencies, ring them every morning (and I do mean EVERY morning) until its them ringing you the night before - it’ll take a month or so, but once you are in their good books they do generally earn you the bigger paychecks.

Good luck mate,

Alex

You talk a lot of sense mate, I’m not just trusting one agency - I’m with two others but this is the one I’ve had most to do with so-far (no work as yet though). I’ve no commitments so can do the less sociable hours if needs be but the thing that worries me - LOOK HOW I’M TALKING - I’m talking myself into it (but it does make sense in a way, like you say - I’m not happy),all advise much appreciated though - it’s an important decision :unamused:

Get a new job then give Vosa a ring

i left a full time job and joined an agency, and I was lucky as i was put straight away into a company looking for a full time driver, after a couple a months i was took on permanent

you’re clearly not happy in your present job and i’ve always throught work isn’t important enough to be unhappy whilst doing it.

If i was you i’d tell your boss where to shove his truck and sign on with as many agencies as possible.

If in doubt mummy and daddy can support you for a few weeks. :slight_smile:

Mostly these in house jobs are nice little numbers , but it sounds like you need to get out of yours.

But what you have remember is that agencies are there to serve the customer and therefore they want as many drivers on their books as possible to cover busy times, but have no obligations to find them work in slack times.

However you seem to be in a fortunate position of living with your parents (you might not be happy with the situation but sometimes needs must) and therefore could risk a bit of slack time. I went on agency a few years back to see what vaious hauliers were like ot work for and I did get offered a full time job through, although I turned it down, so it does work.

Good luck :wink:

The agencies in Lincoln are totally useless, 2 of them have not bothered to contact me or return my calls since the day I signed up with them 3months ago and the 3rd managed to get me 2days work with a company in nottingham.

Try calling DriverHire Nottingham branch, they are a lot better and bigger that Lincoln it seems, and they managed to get me a job that I’ve been told will be 5-6months and most likely going permanent at the end of that :slight_smile:

Darkseeker,if it was me,I would jack in and take a chance with the agencies.
There’s no point putting up with a job you are clearly unhappy with.
Sooner or later it will have an impact on your health/state of mind.

Sounds like you are in the same situation as me Darkseeker.

I live at home and my only outgoing is petrol to go in my car and my phone bill.
If I don’t leave the house at all then my bill for the month comes to about £17.

I was working a crappy job like you are and quit it all to go work on agency for Driver Hire. Took about 2 weeks of calling them before they started offering jobs but after that the calls came daily (with a bit of prompting at first)

If I had to do it again, I would, but I’d make sure I was fully signed up with at least 2, and probably 3, agencies.
It takes 2 mins to sign up for an agency if you have your full license with you. So can be done in a lunch break if you need it.

My advice right now would be sort the agencies out tomorrow, then jack your current job in, work your notice and every day you are on notice ring all the agencies (2 minute calls) saying I’m available as of whatever date, what can you give me for that week or the next.

Give it a go and I imagine you won’t regret it.

Alex

keep a diary and copy yer tacho’s … even better if on a digi… and if they give you to much greiff then u can always ask yer boss for the local VOSA office number … and inform them that they want you to run regardless of the regs…

and then watch his face go green …

it’s your licence mate not his…

Scarab:
every day you are on notice ring all the agencies (2 minute calls)

Alex

Is there an optimum time for calling them? (yep daft question)

Don’t mind pestering them but was a bit conscious of not wanting to be a nuisance and ring at a bad time if they was a certain time thye’re up to their eyes every morning…?

monday mornings are when the agencys are busiest doing staff payroll for the previous week, so cut the agency a little slack then, as they`ll be run off their feet. ring em after 1-2pm, tues-fri ring em between 9-11am.

Sat-sun…if they haven`t already spoken to you friday about your availability for sat-sun, and the following week, if you have an out of hours mobile contact number for the agency send em a txt msg letting em know what days your available, its a little more descreet / polite, especially if they at home with family (on call)

peirre:
monday mornings are when the agencys are busiest doing staff payroll for the previous week, so cut the agency a little slack then, as they`ll be run off their feet. ring em after 1-2pm, tues-fri ring em between 9-11am.

Sat-sun…if they haven`t already spoken to you friday about your availability for sat-sun, and the following week, if you have an out of hours mobile contact number for the agency send em a txt msg letting em know what days your available, its a little more descreet / polite, especially if they at home with family (on call)

All sounds sensible - will give it a bash, cheers :slight_smile:

Tell your company about the corporate manslaughter bill

homeoffice.gov.uk/documents/ … slaughter/

I do alot of work in this area, mainly for big companies but any copany who employs 5 or more workers who have to drive on company business ( it doesn’t matter how much or how far) have to comply. Of course some don’t mainly the small ones but if the ■■■■ hits the fan the H&S bods will show no mercy.