Dilemma in taking the plunge

Hello everyone,
This is my first post, I have been scanning through this forum for months now trying to learn as much as I can about the industry, good and bad.
I’m 25, I work in a soul destroying job where I’ve gone past breaking point recently, extremely toxic control freak boss, doing hours upon hours free over time through the week by having to stay over my salaried hours and much more, so need to find something else. I’ve always toyed with the idea of becoming a hgv driver and now have my medical booked. I just have a few questions before I fully commit to this big step, I would be so grateful if someone could answer them!

1. I live in South Wales, I’ve read from old posts on here that it’s hard to find work here, escpecially with good pay, can someone clarify if this is the case now?

2. I earn a salary of 24k on a 40 hour week and get around 26/27k p/a by working every Saturday, I’m hoping I can earn more than this. Does anyone in the South Wales area earn much more than this? ? I’m hesitant to believe the job adverts saying “up to 40k”.

3. Is the job actually that bad? There seems to be extremely mixed messages regarding whether or not to bother to get a license. The idea of driving alone listening to my own stuff for a few hours sounds very appealing to me. I don’t mind working long hours either as long as I’m getting paid for them obviously.

Much appreciated to anyone who can advise/answer, thanks!

As a newbie myself, I look at complaints about any industry with skepticism because any industry has problems, and people become jaded and bitter. There is an expected level of “problem” of some kind in anything, but the question is whether it is real, perceived, and how detrimental is it actually? A lot of it is down to the employer. If you don’t like it, find somewhere else!

I was apprehensive at moving as I am currently a software engineer (a neat desk job, or so many think, LOL!). I’ve been doing that for over 20 years and want a change. It’s going to be quite different for me as I haven’t done “real manual labour” in my current job, but I’m fit and active as it is so I don’t see it being a problem.

If you can afford to get the licence and try it, what is there to lose? Good luck!

I work in South Wales.
Plenty of work. Company i work for are really good to work for and the pay is good.
They’re always looking for good trampers and took me on as a new pass. Done the same for other guys since.

S.Wales96:
Hello everyone,
This is my first post, I have been scanning through this forum for months now trying to learn as much as I can about the industry, good and bad.
I’m 25, I work in a soul destroying job where I’ve gone past breaking point recently, extremely toxic control freak boss, doing hours upon hours free over time through the week by having to stay over my salaried hours and much more, so need to find something else. I’ve always toyed with the idea of becoming a hgv driver and now have my medical booked. I just have a few questions before I fully commit to this big step, I would be so grateful if someone could answer them!

1. I live in South Wales, I’ve read from old posts on here that it’s hard to find work here, escpecially with good pay, can someone clarify if this is the case now?

2. I earn a salary of 24k on a 40 hour week and get around 26/27k p/a by working every Saturday, I’m hoping I can earn more than this. Does anyone in the South Wales area earn much more than this? ? I’m hesitant to believe the job adverts saying “up to 40k”.

3. Is the job actually that bad? There seems to be extremely mixed messages regarding whether or not to bother to get a license. The idea of driving alone listening to my own stuff for a few hours sounds very appealing to me. I don’t mind working long hours either as long as I’m getting paid for them obviously.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m in South Wales also, and although it is only Sunday work for me at the moment (I still work in an office full time), I managed to get a job within a month of passing Class 1. I struggled to find any Class 2 work between passing last August and doing my Class 1 this year, but I think that’s only because I was looking for 1 Sunday per fortnight only.

The place I work on Sundays would pay around 26k on a 40 hour week working weekdays only, but I imagine the likelihood is that you’d be working more than 40 hours, so you’d be pushing 30k, but doing more hours. Saturday and Sunday rates are also higher.

As you are living in Wales, take a look at the below link. They offered to fund my Class 1 late last year but I was already booked in and paid up, and the course dates clashed with work at the time so I didn’t go with them, but it all seems pretty good, and fully funded!

www1.bridgend.ac.uk/course/lgv-training/

Hope this helps answer some of the questions you have at least!

TruckerGuy:
As a newbie myself, I look at complaints about any industry with skepticism because any industry has problems, and people become jaded and bitter. There is an expected level of “problem” of some kind in anything, but the question is whether it is real, perceived, and how detrimental is it actually? A lot of it is down to the employer. If you don’t like it, find somewhere else!

I was apprehensive at moving as I am currently a software engineer (a neat desk job, or so many think, LOL!). I’ve been doing that for over 20 years and want a change. It’s going to be quite different for me as I haven’t done “real manual labour” in my current job, but I’m fit and active as it is so I don’t see it being a problem.

If you can afford to get the licence and try it, what is there to lose? Good luck!

That’s my conclusion now too, I think it’s just a case of “pick your poison” as you’ll have bad employers, pros/cons in any industry, but if you enjoy the work atleast it’s half the battle! Thanks for your reply!

trevorking1964:
I work in South Wales.
Plenty of work. Company i work for are really good to work for and the pay is good.
They’re always looking for good trampers and took me on as a new pass. Done the same for other guys since.

Thats reassuring to hear thank you for your reply! Cant wait to get started now and see where it leads!

Goff118:

S.Wales96:
Hello everyone,

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m in South Wales also, and although it is only Sunday work for me at the moment (I still work in an office full time), I managed to get a job within a month of passing Class 1. I struggled to find any Class 2 work between passing last August and doing my Class 1 this year, but I think that’s only because I was looking for 1 Sunday per fortnight only.

The place I work on Sundays would pay around 26k on a 40 hour week working weekdays only, but I imagine the likelihood is that you’d be working more than 40 hours, so you’d be pushing 30k, but doing more hours. Saturday and Sunday rates are also higher.

As you are living in Wales, take a look at the below link. They offered to fund my Class 1 late last year but I was already booked in and paid up, and the course dates clashed with work at the time so I didn’t go with them, but it all seems pretty good, and fully funded!

www1.bridgend.ac.uk/course/lgv-training/

Hope this helps answer some of the questions you have at least!

Yeah I can understand it being more difficult while in other employment,
To be honest I’d be more than happy to earn around the same as I do now just don’t want to earn less than I currently do for so much time/money invested, so that’s reassuring!
Thanks for that link, I’ll definitely look into that it looks really good!
Cheers!

No problem at all. Like I said, they offered me a course (to upgrade from C to C+E) just before Christmas, fully funded, so I think it is all legit, and definitely worth a try!

+1

I expect you’ve already seen this thread but it is a good one to read re the above:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=171159

You sound at the point you would rather do anything than continue doing what you are doing. Good luck with it all. It is daunting. I hope if you go for it that you and any other newbies desperate to escape jobs they hate, or drivers who are desperate for a career change, will soon look back and think going for it was the best thing they ever did.

Goff118:
No problem at all. Like I said, they offered me a course (to upgrade from C to C+E) just before Christmas, fully funded, so I think it is all legit, and definitely worth a try!

It is completely legit - part of a new initiative in Wales known as a Personal Learning Account (PLA), all funded by Welsh Gov.

OP, I have sent you a PM with some information on how to access it. No strings attached so would certainly remove the financial element of your dilemma.

S.Wales96:
Hello everyone,
I’m 25, I work in a soul destroying job where I’ve gone past breaking point recently, extremely toxic control freak boss, doing hours upon hours free over time through the week by having to stay over my salaried hours and much more, so need to find something else.

You have honestly just described many of the jobs that exist in the transport industry, but there are some good jobs out there if you can find one.

go for it mate! i’ve been driving Class 1 since 1979 and still doing it…even working overtime tomorrow,thanks to Storm Eunice :smiley: . it’s true,lot’s of ■■■■ employers out there (there’s a current thread on the main forum slating Wren Kitchens,for instance)…but there’s plenty of good one’s too. i work for Dhl,who regularly get slated :open_mouth: :laughing: but they’ve looked after me for the last 11 + years…so don’t be put off by the moaners :slight_smile:

Do you have an idea of where you might want to work?

I am a regular reader and contributor in this forum and quite often I read about people on the licence acquisition journey, then suddenly they have the licence and that is the next question - what do I do now? There possibly is a kind of false euphoria about getting the licence (not denying it is an achievement to be congratulated on in itself). A lot depends on what is in your area and if a company is willing to give you a chance or if you are willing to go to an agency to build up a bit of experience (possibly not in the class of vehicle you want to end up driving).

If you speak to companies in your area you could even get a job offer in principle type thing, before you have got the licence. Then you kind of know what you are doing. You could either stay in that job or use that position as a stepping stone to another job where you would need experience.

Driving works for some people and not for others. For me there are plus points and minus points, but an important aspect for me is that in my area, as long as I keep my health and licence I shouldn’t be out of work for the rest of my working life.