Should I take the plunge?

hi all new to the forum would like to say its full of useful information.
OK so here’s what I need a bit of advice on.
I’m a 23 year old male living in West Yorkshire, I currently have a full time job 36+ hours a week and plenty of overtime if required. I earn around £10 an hour and the job is secure. Its 3 shift work.
Sounds ok right? BUT it’s not a job I can see myself doing all my life. I do not enjoy it and its not making me happy I’m there for only one reason and that’s the wage.
For a long time I’ve been thinking of going for my my HGV licencse, I’ve always enjoyed driving and trucks etc…
But is it worth me giving up my job for? I have bills and commitments to pay for. I’ve spoke to numerous people and everyone seems to say different things about the trucking career. Some good some bad.
I guess what I’m asking is should I take the plunge? Is it a career I can do for many years to come? Any advice you guys have would be great, thanks, Tom.

This is my advice, for what it’s worth. You must bear in mind no-one can promise you a job (expecially a well paid one) driving once you’ve passed your test. You will be parting with the thick end of £2k for CAT C and another grand or so for the upgrade to CE if that’s where your ambitions lay.

I would suggest that you go for it, assuming you can fund it without going into debt. But, having passed the test, be prepared to work for a modest wage. So a financial cushion in the bank would be great. Or be prepared to temporarily lower your standard of living.

But there is good news as well. There are plenty of drivers who have started just the same as you who, some years later, are earning pretty good money. Obviously it’s never enough and we’re all exploited and treated like dogs! But the career path is getting a little more defined and drivers who prove themselves can earn a good wage and maintain a decent standard of living. But they will have to put the hours in to get it.

So no rose tinted glasses. It’s tough, it’s rough but it’s brilliant fun as well. Make sure any partner is supportive otherwise you’re stuffed before you start.

Finally, there is no question it’s a long term career. I’ve had 40 years - some grim - most brilliant.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the advice Pete it’s made me feel a bit more confident about going for it. I understand it won’t be easy and the hours won’t always be the best but I’m used to working unsociable hours so that’s no worry for me.
Just hope it can get payed for doing a job I enjoy maybe then I’ll understand that so called thing ‘job satisfaction’ :stuck_out_tongue: !
Another good point you raised is having a supportive partner, still working on that bit as my girlfriend is not to keen on me doing it at the moment. I’m sure I’ll talk her round in the end!
Thanks , Tom

T3LMY:
Thanks for the advice Pete it’s made me feel a bit more confident about going for it. I understand it won’t be easy and the hours won’t always be the best but I’m used to working unsociable hours so that’s no worry for me.
Just hope it can get payed for doing a job I enjoy maybe then I’ll understand that so called thing ‘job satisfaction’ :stuck_out_tongue: !
Another good point you raised is having a supportive partner, still working on that bit as my girlfriend is not to keen on me doing it at the moment. I’m sure I’ll talk her round in the end!
Thanks , Tom

Couple of points you say about unsociable hours do you know that you could be working 84 hours per week for maybe £6.50 per hour and then sleeping in the truck for maybe £18 per night which just about takes your life away.
With regards to your partner you are both young will she wait when you could be home only 45 hours per week.

Hi there

I’m in the very early stages of doing my Class 2 with a view to gaining my Class 1 ASAP.

The big question you need to ask is will you regret it if you don’t do it now?

You’re young enough you could wait and see how things develop in your life. My biggest reason for getting on with it now is I’m not getting any younger and I’m not likely to have the money or the energy to do it later. I also can’t bear the thought of being trapped in an office for the next few decades until I retire.

If you get through it and decide it’s not for you or your lifestyle then you don’t have to continue on that road. The training investment is still worth it as it will teach you additional road skills that will always be useful. Investing in yourself is never wasted funds.

As to your partner, well if she really wants you to be happy in your work then she should come round. Maybe compromise and set a time limit - 2 years to see how you get on and what sort of work you can get. My OH is usually home every night by 18.30, he only gets the odd week away or the odd night out in the week. Once you get used to it it’s fine especially with things like skype, often you can actually spend better quality time together whilst apart as you’re actually listening to each other rather than at home watching TV together and not paying full attention if you see what I mean…

Of course when I pass and I’m out on the road too it might be different but relationships are about allowing each other to grow and develop individually as well as together.

Good luck whatever you decide. :slight_smile:

You currently earn around £10ph and say you have bills and commitments. As a newly qualified 23 years old with no experience there will be much fewer opportunities open to you and it’s even less likely you’ll achieve anything like £10ph driving. You’ll find many more experienced drivers than you working for £7ph in your neck of the woods.

mac12:

T3LMY:
Thanks , Tom

Couple of points you say about unsociable hours do you know that you could be working 84 hours per week for maybe £6.50 per hour and then sleeping in the truck for maybe £18 per night which just about takes your life away.
With regards to your partner you are both young will she wait when you could be home only 45 hours per week.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but how can you work 84 hours a week when the maximum is 56P/W or 90 over two weeks? Might have read that wrong but thought I’d have my say.

To the OP.
if you can afford todo it then go for it, you never know if your job is 100% secure and it’s always something to fall back onto, if you can work your current job around your training I.e train on your days off or take holiday to cover it the you’ll be fine, then once you’ve passed I’d reduce my hours with the current company and find agency work to fill in, that’ll give you a taste of what it’s like. If you like it you can find a full time position and if you don’t like it you still have another job. If you quit and jump straight into Lgv you might hate it then you have nothing to fall back on.
And with cost I’m paying around £1500 for my cat c training and tests.

Best of luck with whatever you choose

Frost89:
Sorry to go slightly off topic but how can you work 84 hours a week when the maximum is 56P/W or 90 over two weeks? .

56hrs is the max DRIVING time in one week or 90hrs over two weeks.
Working time & driving time are different.

5hrs driving during a day may have another 7 hours of “other work”

macci:

Frost89:
Sorry to go slightly off topic but how can you work 84 hours a week when the maximum is 56P/W or 90 over two weeks? .

56hrs is the max DRIVING time in one week or 90hrs over two weeks.
Working time & driving time are different.

5hrs driving during a day may have another 7 hours of “other work”

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn’t aware

Frost89:
Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn’t aware

No worries.

Good luck with the test mate.