Take rigid then artic later? Or save up then take both

I will have enough money at the end of the month to do a rigid course I aready have taken the theory test and have a provisional License. If I pass the rigid it will take me another 3-4 months to save up for the artic. Is this a good way to do it? or would it be best to save up for both first? :confused:

Hello jimmie

I would do it in the space of 2-3 months. Before I did my training I was considering doing a back2back on C, C+E. Having done both now Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t because its too much to take in all at once. I did both in the space of about 8 weeks and even that was quite intense really. So Iā€™d say you would be doing the right thing spacing them out a little.

Good luck mate, Nige

Everyone has different views.

My view is not thinking about the test but actual drivng and work wise is to get class 2 experience sets you up better for driving class 1ā€™s. Class 2 work wise can be hard going, i find class 1 easier at times in a lot of areas to drive because they are more manourable.

Plus in general not all the time tho then send Class 2ā€™s to the places they canā€™t get class 1ā€™s so can be challenging to say the least driving a class 2 espec stuff like B&Q large ridged into residential streets delivering kitchens etcā€¦ In the end set you up a lot better for doing the class 1 and make you a lot more confident in my opinon anyways.

Test wise maybe it would have been tempting to do both tests at first to get them out the way but i was put through my class 2 by a company so money wasnt an issue, if they had offered me my class 1 back to back i would have done it. But when money is an issue you should take your class 1 when you are confident with class 2ā€™s other wise i think gonna find it harder and can cost more if you are having to spend more time learning and possibly sitting multiple tests.

If you can drive a large class 2 confidently through tight city streets, residential streets etcā€¦ can reverse it into tiny loading areas in old fashioned shops you will have a good understanding of dealing with long vehicles which will mean driving the class 1 will be different but not a huge leap and will really take the edge off learning it. During my training i never had a problem driving the class 1 on the streets, i was also used to splitter boxes so that wasnt new, i couldnt reverse to save myself but saying that from driving large ridges had a good understanding of reversing large vehicles so knew where the trailer was when reversing just couldnt ge t it to go exactly where i wanted :stuck_out_tongue:

but as i say the main thing is money if you are paying for it yourself, give yourself a fighting chance with the class 1 to get it passed first time, in my mind anyway if you are really confident driving class 2ā€™s and they hold no fear for you its kinda half the battle in learning class 1ā€™s because i feel if you aint 100% sure about a class 2 vehicle or cant drive it confidently out on the roads gonna really affect trying to learn driving an even larger vehicle.

Now i have done my Class2 i think it would be better to get some driving hours under your belt before Class1, i think timescales are rubbish, its the hours of experience you need now not time.

no offence but people get bored of answering the same question every week. this might help answer your question :smiley:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24362

Iā€™ve had my class 2 for 3 years, couldnā€™t have afforded more at the time so didnā€™t even consider doing both at once.

Iā€™d like to get my class 1 but Iā€™m still not sure if itā€™s worth it right now as Iā€™ve got a decent job driving a rigid now.

Iā€™d suggest you do the class 2 and see how you get on, the option is always there.

scanny77:
no offence but people get bored of answering the same question every week. this might help answer your question :smiley:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24362

Thanks Scanny77 - as all can see, split decision on this subject, even LGV instructors (Mothertrucker & myself) have differing opinions -all boils down down to individual choice.

Thanks for the replys. And after reading this topic and the one scanny77 pointed out, I havenā€™t really gained much of an answer. But I have decided I will do class 2 first, see if I can get some work, see how I get on, then do my class 1 later. :wink:

Will keep your posted on how I get on. :slight_smile:

I done 10 yrs 7.5 ton
then 3 class two of which i drove some [zb} MASSIVE trucks with some monstereous overhangs
& then past class one a month ago

And I feel I am a better class of driver for waiting, everyone who has sat beside me has always said that ā€œI have the wright stuffā€ & that " Your too good for this place" heck i even showed up a class one driver two weeks ago on my assesment, the guy had five years on me crunched the gears & changed up way to early, we thought we were in a Kangaroo.

Either you will know when your ready or like me get absaloulty fed up with class two that your willing to fork out for the class one.

(Small language edit, if you have to use ā€œinventiveā€ spelling to get round the auto censor consider that as a hint that it isnā€™t allowed. Simon.)

IMO itā€™s up to you how you want to go about it - itā€™s your money after all!

I myself am going for the two back to back - I feel that the C+E will be handy to have, even if I donā€™t use it right away - just like the thought of knowing that you can drive anything on a Class 1 should the need arise.

But however you do it remember that itā€™s YOUR choice - and that is what counts more than anything else!

i stand by my beliefs. do both while you are in the right frame of mind then stick to class 2 for a while to get used to bigger vehicles and the work. you can upgrade to class 1 when you feel ready for it without all the hassles of lessons etc although a 1 day refresher wouldnt hurt and as you are already qualified, you dont need to lose your bad habits for the day :wink:

I did both pretty much in one go. Reversing was never a problem for me, it was the easiest part of the test for me, partly because Iā€™d already done the B+E, so if you think the trailer comes round quick in a wag+dragā€¦:wink:

For me, driving the vehicle was harder, getting used to the length behind you. Dunno about work though, havenā€™t found a job to use my new licences yet.

ive been on ridgids over two years now,but wished id done my class 1 soon after while i had the money.Reason being quite simply that all the training would still be fresh in my mind and the fact of when i do go for class 1,the instructor will be able to spend more time on the esentials instead of trying to beat the bad habbits outa me that ive picked up in the passed couple of years! I know its a lot harder and more pressure to pay your own hard earned money out for training.But if your like me determind then i personally think its well worth it, though some daysā€¦ unlike our eastern europeon friends who think that ploughing a field in a tractor is enough training to handle a 44ton Renault Magnum! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :lol :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: