Looking to make the jump to class 1?

hi all. im interested to hear your thoughts. I have recieved some compensation money from a bike crash and im looking to invest it in making the jump to class 1. i have had my class 2 for comming up for two years and im pretty comfortable with driving any size rigid with any sort of slap knockover up down range change splitter. My question to those who have done it is how different and how much more difficult is it to learning your class 2. Im also interested to know your experiences :question:

I did my Class 1 within a few weeks of passing my Class 2 and to be honest, it felt like taking the same test again. I even had the same examiner. The only difference being the size of the vehicle and the fact that it’s articulated which you soon get used to and of course the reverse. I’d would definately go for it if you’ve got the spare cash, in my experience there’s more work opportunity and as you already have the often required mandatory 2 years under your belt, you should be able to find work.

Outside of the training / test environment though, I think driving artic’s is a lot more demanding. With all due respect to rigids, they’re like driving a big van and you’re unlikely to get into any real trouble that you can in an artic e.g driving into somewhere that you can’t get out of and having to reverse out, and the tricky bays or loading areas that you have to manouvre / reverse into. Unforunately, the training you get on artics is to pass the driving test which is essentially the same as the class 2 test(no disrespect to the trainers, I was more than satisfied with mine) and doesn’t prepare you enough (IMHO) for the realities of driving artic’s for a living.

The real training starts when, for example, you’re out on your own, with a load, blind side reversing down a ramp covered in ice and onto a scissor lift that’s narrower than the back of you trailer. Happy days :smiley:

The feedback from the trainees I taught was this -

Much easier than the jump from car to C cos already used to the width, the gears, the controls and more importantly, the truck driving way of thinking.

Harder bits were reversing, the way it handled for corners and the extra length when getting out at give ways such as roundabouts.

how the hell do you blind side reverse/ is it a case of guess work or can you see a bit in the wide angle mirror.

i watched an old boy do it between my lorry a van opposite round a bend. i said i don’t know how you do that he just cooly said to me while still reversing “its 53 years of practice showing off” the thought of having to do that puts me off a bit. like you say rigids are just big vans :exclamation:

joedwyer1:
]how the hell do you blind side reverse/ is it a case of guess work or can you see a bit in the wide angle mirror

Right can i ask the complete opposite question? How the heck do you do normal?
The first day out in artic since i passed test i struggled on the first drop with normal hand reverse but blindside…straight in first time! :imp:
Go figure eh??

I think its like all things, if in doubt…

G Get
O Out
A And
L Look

to achieve your GOAL!

But going back to your original post…I did back to back class 2 and then 3 weeks (thanks to DVLA!) later class 1 on W&D! Like Rog says the hardest thing is going from car/van to rigid. You can very quickly get back into training mode, and because of the longer vehicle the concentration levels are right there. The reverse is or can be hard but once you have your head around it and nail the first one…you will wonder what the heck you were worried about.
but personally go for it!! You will question why you hadnt before!

joedwyer1:
how the hell do you blind side reverse/ is it a case of guess work or can you see a bit in the wide angle mirror.

i watched an old boy do it between my lorry a van opposite round a bend. i said i don’t know how you do that he just cooly said to me while still reversing “its 53 years of practice showing off” the thought of having to do that puts me off a bit. like you say rigids are just big vans :exclamation:

You try not to blindside if you can help it… :open_mouth:
Ive only had to do a handful of them and Ive only done 1 “perfect” one with one shunt (and nobody around to see it :laughing: ), and the majority of them have had to be done in our yard!!!

Dont bloody guess whatver you do :laughing:

It all comes with practice and confidence. Wheni first started my job i couldn’t reverse for ■■■■, i was so, SO bad, even on the nearside.

I’ve been doing it 6 months now, and now i’ve learnt how the trailer reacts, how to position myself, improved my use of mirrors and got my confidence up, it all falls into place and i dont struggle like i used to.

I still ■■■■ up though :laughing:

Tonka 236 is right. The place I was referring to you have no choice but to blind side reverse but I do Get Out And Look - several times :exclamation: I’ve been to the place 3 times now so getting used to it. Reversing is a skill that comes with practice and I’m improving all the time after really struggling earlier on.

I really think that the C+E training and test would be far better if it focused more on the reversing and manouverablity of an articulated vehicle, rather than the current driving test which in some cases, people have taken only a few weeks before in Class C.

What do the instructors on here think, are there any examiners with a view?

MAT:
I really think that the C+E training and test would be far better if it focused more on the reversing and manouverablity of an articulated vehicle, rather than the current driving test which in some cases, people have taken only a few weeks before in Class C.

Would need much longer training & test so cost more - who would be prepared to pay?

yes. i would pay for an extra days tuition if all i did was reverse. better that than smash things up

joedwyer1:
yes. i would pay for an extra days tuition if all i did was reverse. better that than smash things up

If that is what you want then I expect most trainers will be prepared to do it :smiley:

Mate definatly go for your class 1, i spent 5 years in rigids until i passed my class 1 and i havent looked back since,

When you first pass you cant believe you have the licence to drive artics, you look at them on the motorway and think OMG im legal to drive one of those !!! but once your behind the wheel it all become so natural.

Yes you will be scared to reverse in the begining ( i remeber driving into motorway services and driving straight back out because there wasnt a spot i could drive into forwards, i now squeeze my trailer into the tiniest of gaps)

Just remember the key to good reversing is all in how you postion yourself.

As for blind siding its like somebody else said…ALWAYS try not to blind side, just spin yourself around in whatever yard your in so your facing the other way, if this isnt possible and your in a truck that has electric passenger mirrors then just adjust the mirror as you reverse, if you dont have electric mirrors then again like somebody said GET OUT AND LOOK ALOT, its less embarrasing to keep getting out and looking than it is to hitting something (like somebodys beloved truck)

For the most part ive found all class1 drivers are more than willing to watch you back, pretty much all drivers are friendly and willing to help.

Take you Class 1 …become king of the road mate…and ■■■■ these new tractor units are nice to drive…pure luxuary compared to class 2…and the money is of course better :smiley:

rockape2620:
Yes you will be scared to reverse in the begining ( i remeber driving into motorway services and driving straight back out because there wasnt a spot i could drive into forwards, i now squeeze my trailer into the tiniest of gaps)

Been there, done that :blush:

ROG:

MAT:

Would need much longer training & test so cost more - who would be prepared to pay?

I guess the point I’m making Rog is that the whole C+E test is inappropriate, especially if you’ve taken a C Test previously (in some cases a few weeks previously). Bear in mind that you spend a week driving around urban test routes and maybe half a day or so practicing the set reverse routine (with markers and all). Surely drivers would be better equipped for the realities of driving artic’s if they spent more time on manouverability and reversing than on passing another driving test :question:

MAT:
Surely drivers would be better equipped for the realities of driving artic’s if they spent more time on manouverability and reversing than on passing another driving test

The DSA test is just to test for the minimum basics.

Nothing to stop anyone doing more training post test.

well i will be booking it up when the weather is a bit better. i will let you all know how it goes :smiley: