Tacho Infringements *analogue*

Been driving a Renault unit reg 55for 3 years now, all of a sudden I have been presented with a number of infringements for exceeding the 90 kph speed limit. I’m given a form to sign off my employer, I assume this absolves them of blame and when I sign it’s an admission of guilt.

I thought that this was due to going down hills! So I took extra care and made sure the limiter was not overrun. The following week I again received further infringements and was threatened with disciplinary action if it happened again. I pointed out to my superior the speed limits etc but was told that the 60 mph speed limit does not apply, as the vehicle is limited to do only 56mph/90kph.

I then pointed out that the Speedometer was indicating 93kph at full power, therefore I was doing the speed the vehicle was limited to do. I wrote out a defect,the following day the vehicle was re-calibrated. I was told there was nothing wrong.

So according to the speedo I’m doing 93kph, the tacho trace shows just above the 90kph line… Consistently…

Following day I overtake a colleague, who has the same problem in a identical Renault unit whilst driving a Merc with digital tacho, speedo says 90kph exactly. He is going very slow, I rang him and asked his speed… Suprise Suprise same speed as me…

What should I do? My tom tom tells me I’m doing 54 mph, the speedo is 59mph.

i’d deffinately not sign for the infringments, instead i’d just write “defect reported” it’s quite clearly the operators responsibility to ensure his vehicles are restricted to the correct speed not the drivers, if he’s had the wagon calibrated at an indepent service garage he’s covered his back, if he’s had it done at his own garage, he’s simply trying to pass any blame onto his driver! i take it your firm has it’s charts checked by another company again to cover their back but the problem is and always will be, is that the company checking the charts will want to be seen to be doing something for their money and will class very minor discrepancies as infingments.

Exceeding 90km/h on a motorway is not an infringement, the speed limit is still 60 mph in this country, I wouldn’t sign those infringements.

Are you using the correct type of chart, not all charts are the same and if you are using the wrong type it will record the speed trace incorrectly. Have a look at one of your charts and see where the speed trace is when the vehicle is not moving, you might find it isn’t at zero.

eyanthe:
I pointed out to my superior the speed limits etc but was told that the 60 mph speed limit does not apply, as the vehicle is limited to do only 56mph/90kph.

But the 60mph law is still on the statute book and you are not breaking the law no matter what the vehicle is limited to. The limiter is purely just that, a limiter.

The fact the vehicle is limited to 56mph is neither here nor there, and there is a tolerance of +/- 6kph, (3.75 mph give or take.) according to when I took my CPC, for a tacho that is not registering properly. 56 + 3.75 is as near as dammit 60mph, the speed law on a motorway for an HGV in this country.

Road Traffic act from the Gov website:

statutelaw.gov.uk/content.as … 99#1356862

Some interesting bits on here:

safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt … =5&t=19361

Ken.

As far as I am aware the limiter is there to restrict the maximum speed when the vehicle is under power,when your foot is on the accelerator, but it wont fight the law of gravity when the momentum of the vehicle going down hill is greater ,causing it to go faster.To restrict the vehicle speed under all circumstances would mean automatic application of the brakes.It would appear that there is widespread confusion regarding limiter speeds ,tacho overspeeds and the national speed limit,maybe it’s something that can be discussed on a CPC course so everyone is in no doubt of the regulations.It may be that a company can instruct it’s drivers not to exceed a certain speed and failure to comply might bring about disciplinary action but that’s it.

To check wether its the right card for the tacho. I was told that on the back of the card are ‘E’ numbers in square boxes. One of the numbers on the back of the card should be be same as the number on the back of the tacho head. If not its the wrong card.

tortoise:
To check wether its the right card for the tacho. I was told that on the back of the card are ‘E’ numbers in square boxes. One of the numbers on the back of the card should be be same as the number on the back of the tacho head. If not its the wrong card.

Exactly. Just because the chart physically fits into the unit it doesn’t mean it is the correct chart. The e numbers on the unit are usually to be found on a sticker once you open the unit.

[quote="QuinnyThe fact the vehicle is limited to 56mph is neither here nor there, and there is a tolerance of +/- 6kph, (3.75 mph give or take.) according to when I took my CPC, for a tacho that is not registering properly. 56 + 3.75 is as near as dammit 60mph, the speed law on a motorway for an HGV in this country.

i believe it’s actually 53 but with a +/- of 3mph hence limiters being set to 56, if your limiter is set to 59mph you are ilegal despite the max speed limit being 60 but it’s an operators infringment not the drivers.

Unit was calibrated by an independent garage, I note that a new seal was stuck on the tachograph head, It says 56/2.45. There was a tachograph in the machine which I assume the calibrator used, this tacho did not have 90kph line, 80 then 100 nothing in between. Tacho’s are scanned and sent to FTA for analysis. I’ve wrote on the Tacho face after the end of day line, “vehicle speedometer exceeds 90 kph” Thats another can of worms, writing on tacho face! I was always told it was an infringement to mark outside the circle. I have to draw a line start of day and end, plus between start time and time I insert tacho write other work in the gap before the 1st trace.

Mechanic told me they cannot turn speedo down to 90 kph? If I go full speed 93, tacho trace shows 91 kph. We have Merc units and various makes of 7.5t, they all say 90 on the speedo! One assumes I’m using the correct tacho for the head, I’ll check that on Tuesday.

Thanks for the replys :smiley:

eyanthe:
Thats another can of worms, writing on tacho face!

No problem writing on the face of the tacho provided you don’t obscure any of the trace. The rear is the preferred option but front is okay. Just don’t write on the front, or mark the EDR/SDR lines some companies want, if going over the water unless you are exceptionally good at arguing in foreign. :wink:

if he is the appointed transport manager, you could write a letter to the managing director. you could explain that his transport manager is quite clearly not up to his job, and you would like to recomend that action should be taken against him. you could tell him that you have informed your area traffic commisioner, as your transport manager may have fraudulent documentation and you do not believe he has passed a cpc exam because of his lack of knowledge regarding transport law.
so if he gives out the wrong information regarding the law on speed limiters, what other laws does he get wrong?

you will end up promoted, or sacked.