tacho charts?

Hi every one,

I got pulled in this morning for a routine inspection by VOSA.
When the fella got in the wagon he asked for my last 15 days charts - which I fortunately had on me. I asked him if it was the last 15 working days he needed or 15 calendar days and he said I needed to carry the last 15 working days with me.
When I got back to base I told my TM who then checked on his list of the new regs and told me it was calendar.
Who do I believe?

i belive its the last 15 calender days worth , but who knows casue the arse dont know what the elbows doing :unamused: :unamused:

jon

Definately the last 15 calender days. I wish these roadside guys would learn the rules they are employed to uphold! I had an immediate prohibition due to tyre size a couple of months ago, He insisted that the super singles on the steer axle were illegal as the plate stated they should be 295’s, until VOSA Swansea explained to the roadside guy that its OK to over spec the tyre size, but not to under spec. :unamused:

im pretty sure its calendar days , i have a digital card and i carry tachos written as rest cards for the days i dont work and thats for 15 calendar days as my tm told us to .

(ii)any manual record and printout made during
the current week and the previous 15 days as
required under this Regulation and Regulation
(EC)No561/2006,and…

dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/ … 5612001164

so if you work monday to friday regularly. then i suppose if you carry previous 2 weeks and you get stopped on thr friday of your current week you would have 15 working days :wink:

jon

jonboy:
so if you work monday to friday regularly. then i suppose if you carry previous 2 weeks and you get stopped on thr friday of your current week you would have 15 working days :wink:

jon

I think if you look under the definitions somewhere it says 15 ‘calender days’ as opposed to ‘working days’. I’ll tell you what though, they certainley don’t make it easy. You’ve nearly got to be a solicitor to sift through it all.

I really don’t see what there is to be confused about. In the official regulations it clearly says

‘7. (a) Where the driver drives a vehicle fitted with recording equipment in conformity with Annex I, the driver must be able to produce, whenever an inspecting officer so requests:
(i) the record sheets for the current week and those used by the driver in the previous 15 days;

What could be clearer than that? It doesn’t say calendar days because it doesn’t need to. The calendar days bit has been added into explanations of the rules in an attempt to avoid confusion, it appears to have failed. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: , and doesn’t appear in the official rules. It can only mean one thing - all the current week and the 15 days leading up to the current week.

Forget the tacho rules for a moment, if someone asked you to count back 15 days prior to this week what would you do? Would you count all the days and arrive at Sunday the 22nd April, or just the days you worked on and most likely ending up prior to April 22nd? Bearing in mind there was no mention of working days.

If it was 15 working days then it would need to says so in the regulations. If it was working days It would mean a driver who only works part time a couple of days a week would possibly have to carry charts going back six or seven weeks. A driver returning to work after a couple of weeks holiday would have to carry five or six weeks worth of tachos if it meant 15 working days.

There is a very easy rule of thumb when digesting all these rules and regulations and it goes a long way to avoiding confusion. Don’t add words in that aren’t there, if it was important or relevant the word would already be in there, and read ALL the words that are there, they are important otherwise they wouldn’t be in the regulations.

Definitely;

all charts from current week and any used during 15 CALENDAR DAYS prior to current week.

If you hold a digital card you must be able to produce that (even if never used).

Any manual records or printouts made in the same period (current week and 15 calendar days previous to current week). Printouts refers to those you are required to make, not those you felt like making at the end of a shift for your own records.

On 1st January 2008 the production period becomes;

current day and previous 28 CALENDAR days. If you want to check this have a read of Article 15 of 3821/85 (as amended)

geebee45:
If you want to check this have a read of Article 15 of 3821/85 (as amended)

Where the word ‘calendar’ doesn’t put in an appearance. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry, couldn’t resist. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

mad monk:
i carry tachos written as rest cards for the days i dont work

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Why? You aren’t required to write charts out for rest days, only for non driving days in a fixed week where in scope driving has taken place. A non driving day and a rest day are different things entirely. A non driving day is a day when you are working but not driving, that could be at an office job for someone who only drives on odd days at weekends for instance, or it could be a day working for your regular transport employer where no driving which falls under the EU rules takes place. A Rest Day is a day when you are not working at all and there is no requirement to fill out or keep charts for those days.

Bugger all that I don’t carry charts anymore , all my work is on one of those fantastic little plastic cards .
:laughing: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
It doesn’t say calendar days because it doesn’t need to. The calendar days bit has been added into explanations of the rules in an attempt to avoid confusion, it appears to have failed. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: , and doesn’t appear in the official rules. It can only mean one thing - all the current week and the 15 days leading up to the current week.

I think its from VOSA , that says the new rule conflicts (or did until just ammended?) with the returning tachograph charts with in 21 days, there is now a bye to return them within 30 days. So thats what there is to be confused about, clear ? As mud !

Mike-C:
I think its from VOSA , that says the new rule conflicts (or did until just ammended?) with the returning tachograph charts with in 21 days, there is now a bye to return them within 30 days. So thats what there is to be confused about, clear ? As mud !

Surely the amount of charts you are required to carry and the time limit for returning charts are different questions? This one was about the amount of charts carried. Although the point you make just reinforces the fact it is calendar days. If it was working days then part time drivers and drivers returning to work after a holiday would not be able to meet the requirement to return charts in 30 days.

Yeah, thats what i’m saying Neil. The calendar days bit is to avoid confusion…argh !!!

Mike-C:
Yeah, thats what i’m saying Neil. The calendar days bit is to avoid confusion…argh !!!

Yeah I know, but like I said it appears to have failed otherwise the question of whether it is working or calendar days wouldn’t still come up. I still say it is surplus to requirements though as there is no mention of it being working days and people are adding that bit in. :wink: :smiley: No mention of working days = just days.

Might of been me that mentioned the distinction :blush:
To drift away a bit (not to far), if i had started work on Tuesday which i did and worked untill Sunday i would have a chart 22 days old, this may be why they extended the return period? I’ll have to look back and check as to why i thought it was relevant, won’t be 2day though !!

Mike-C:
Might of been me that mentioned the distinction :blush:
To drift away a bit (not to far), if i had started work on Tuesday which i did and worked untill Sunday i would have a chart 22 days

You would and that is why the return period was extended. By handing that first chart in the next Monday, when it is no longer required, keeps it within the new 30 day return period. Remember the return period is a UK thing and isn’t in the actual EU regulations, which is why there was a conflict when the new rules came in.

I have been instructed to carry 28 days worth since the 11th April as the rules (supposedly) have changed. Can’t be bothered arguing so doing as I’m told :exclamation: :exclamation: Not my problem :laughing:

but back to the main point :smiley:

davidj247:
Hi every one,

I got pulled in this morning for a routine inspection by VOSA.
When the fella got in the wagon he asked for my last 15 days charts - which I fortunately had on me. I asked him if it was the last 15 working days he needed or 15 calendar days and he said I needed to carry the last 15 working days with me.
When I got back to base I told my TM who then checked on his list of the new regs and told me it was calendar.
Who do I believe?

sa why is the vosa bloke asking him for the last 15 working days thats at least 2 1/2 weeks work. if they aint got a clue what chance does the man in the street have :open_mouth:

jon