Supersingles on the front

I think it looks horrid but seems to be getting even more popular. What are the pros and cons?, tyre life must be better but does it wear joints etc at the front quicker?.

Tyre life is worse - joint wear is about the same - turning is a PITA - wheel trims are double the price - tyre cost is lower by a little i think - mind you the control on the road is superbe with SS
I had SS on the DAF and standards on the Iveco - i would like SS on the Iveco given a chance -
It skips around like a Gazell on these skinney things
cheers
Steve

NB12:
I think it looks horrid but seems to be getting even more popular. What are the pros and cons?, tyre life must be better but does it wear joints etc at the front quicker?.

well believe it or not, i put them on my steer and lift and got half a mile to the gallon more, the good thing was when the tread got low i trimmed them up and chucked em on the trailer, they look nice, handle better, tend to not blow out on the front and give good traction in mud, we go on a lot of farms and quarries :slight_smile:

I’ve used them for years now tyre wear is good providing you keep the truck tracked, I’ve had no joint issues, I disagree with the above most steer pattern ones are ■■■■■ in mud I use Bridgestone trailer tyres up front the type you see on tipper trailers, these are far better in the mud,rain, sleet etc IMO, I run a rear lift tractor so they tend to understeer anyhow. I think they’re ■■■■ good value really & a tad safer as your totally overtired. My last unit had an 8t axle & this ones a 9t IIRC one so they’re standard at these weights anyhow. Give them a try & see how you get on.

Fly sheet

I’ve just ordered 4 x 385’s & rims for my new toy (which is now being sprayed).

I’ve been advised to use 315’s on the drive axle when running SS on the front 2 axles as 295’s take more of a hammering on the DA in this configuration.
(Anybody know any different ?)

Personally I think they look good, a la scandinavian ! Fantastic reasoning I know but hey… :sunglasses:

I’ve heard both sides to the question and I’ve yet to hear a definitive answer, so I’ll update this in a years time and see if my opinion has changed :exclamation:

Never heard of that 1 Goaty, I’d go for the 315 as I like to be overtired.

Fly sheet

Tbh Flysheet, it’s got nearly new 295 Michelins on the drive with about 20mm of tread on them, so I’ll try and prove the theory wrong for now ! :grimacing:

I had 315s on the drive and 385s on the steers of my Premium and they lasted far better than 295s all round. I never had any troubles using Bridgestone 294s but the steer pattern ones wore worse than 315s on the front. The slightest tracking problem or balance problem and the steer pattern ones ground away in no time.
Never had any joint problems either. The Renault would grind a drag link every other year regardless of the tyres.
I have started seeing quite a few using them over here now. They look a bit different having got so used to not seeing them for a few years.

fly sheet:
I’ve used them for years now tyre wear is good providing you keep the truck tracked, I’ve had no joint issues, I disagree with the above most steer pattern ones are [zb] in mud I use Bridgestone trailer tyres up front the type you see on tipper trailers, these are far better in the mud,rain, sleet etc IMO, I run a rear lift tractor so they tend to understeer anyhow. I think they’re ■■■■ good value really & a tad safer as your totally overtired. My last unit had an 8t axle & this ones a 9t IIRC one so they’re standard at these weights anyhow. Give them a try & see how you get on.

Fly sheet

yes the bridgestone tyre ones on the front are the best, great on fuel too, but with the traction, you can drive on landfill sites on your own with super singles, but with 315s and below you usually need a tow as they cut in, imo

also you can up grade the front axle with s/s on by half a tonne!! if you do it correctly… if not you stand the risk of a wee pg9 as it isnt plated for 385 tyres!!! :wink: if you change the plate they normally up rate the front axle if you have them on front and mid lift/tag they still only up grade one axle by around half a tonne… simples