super singles

super singles on front steer axle good or bad whats your view

i used to have them on and dint take any notice of them as long as they stayed on. :wink:

dont know what the fuss is about. :question:

Good for weight , but bad for tram lineing eh !

Mixed blessing to be honest. On my DAFT 105, it does make the steering wheel “tremble” at speed when empty. It’s fine with a load on. Tramlines can be a pig too, since your steers are the same size as trailer wheels…
Biggest advantage is for those who carry spare wheels, only one spare needed for trailer and steer axle.

Ive got em on me Daf I think that they look good, but dont serve a purpose

i run them on my scania and find them really good tram lines can be a problem tyre wear seems to be better.

Had them on a 4x2 144 & they lasted forever, didn’t affect the ride much, but as has been said they love a rut.

Also had them on a 6x2 FH & hated them, the ride was appaling & after the first day the motor had rattles it never had before, they also filthed up the windows & mirrors in 2secs flat when the roads were wet, they were proper steer tyres & were at the correct pressure & they were the correct rims for the FH, so it would seem they suit some better than others.

IMO they also look ■■■■■ on a 6 wheeler unless you have them on the mid-lift/tag too.

More rubber on the ground means more fuel used, and your wheel bearings and kingpins will in theory wear out faster. The tyres are probably dearer too. I don’t really see the point to be honest.

Paul

Repton,

That’s correct, fuel use will increase, Daf did a test with a standard SSC a few years back, they ran it around a track on the limiter, recorded the fuel used then did the same with the lorry fitted with super singles, light bars, air horns, mirror guards etc & the consumption was over 1mpg worse, in the case of tyres the increase will be compounded by wet roads as more rubber means more water being pushed out of the way, requiring more power & therefore more fuel, good job it doesn’t rain much in England eh :open_mouth:

the other thing to think about…

if a standard tyre blows out on the front steer, it will take just the tyre

if a Super Single tyre blows out, it will take the tyre and probably half of the panels around it at the same time

more damage, more expense to fix.

every vehicle i have bought that has had super singles on the front, i have removed them and put standard tyres/rims back on.

oh, and they also affect your fuel economy too, more fuel used as greater friction caused

I don’t like them, they make the ride bumpy.

I have 385/55 steers on my scania, the worst of both worlds, fuel consumption up and they probably last as long as 315/70 tyres and since the front is lower than rear with them I have to let the air out of the suspension each night to avoid rolling out of bed.

i cant believe how many people dont like them on here!!!
:laughing:

repton:
More rubber on the ground means more fuel used, and your wheel bearings and kingpins will in theory wear out faster. The tyres are probably dearer too. I don’t really see the point to be honest.

Paul

from a fitters point of view they are a pain in the ■■■ when a reline/ball joint or wheel bearing needs changing as they weigh so much more!!! they look ok on a 4x2 but i personally dont like them.

as for they last longer…they cost more in the first place so they need to to pay off!!!

I think the 2 main reasons we use them is the fact they last for ages, and we carry spares and swap them ourselves, so having them the same as trailer tyres means only carrying 2 spares.

Blimey, I wouldn’t change a flat tyre myself, that’s what ATS is for.

Mandy Dingles wear more evenly! Skinnier ones almost all wear one edge, thus wearing out alot faster.

Like some have said…they last longer.

Changing super singles by the side of a random European highway, it’s a woman’s work according to my boss :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

sorry lads i thought you were on about the birds that go down the club

i’m still a bit green behind the ears can someone explain what super singles are?

I have been fitting SuperSingles on the front axle for more than 16 years and I would never go back to normal size rims. The extra cost is far out weighed by the extra milage, example normal rims 250000-275000klms, Super Single 350000 then cut them and run them on the trailer for another 150000 klms, plus they make any truck a better ride and drive.