super singles

Mr B:
i’m still a bit green behind the ears can someone explain what super singles are?[/quote
They are a fatter tyre and rim that fits on the steer axle of a tractor unit.The same as on your trailer. Only for glory hunter Scania drivers,unless you have a heavy duty front axle,then you need them.

allikat:
Changing super singles by the side of a random European highway, it’s a woman’s work according to my boss :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I’ve probably changed a dozen in my time but not any more.

Mr B:
i’m still a bit green behind the ears can someone explain what super singles are?

Tyres that are the exact same dimension as a trailer tyre, bigger and fatter. 295s.

allikat:
I think the 2 main reasons we use them is the fact they last for ages, and we carry spares and swap them ourselves, so having them the same as trailer tyres means only carrying 2 spares.

I don’t get that as surely if you don’t have super singles you have the same size as all the rest of the tyres on the unit so you still only have to carry two spares? The only exception to that I can think of is if you have a low-ride unit with small drive axle tyres.

Paul

i no a lot of the draw bar lorrys on brick n blocks run s singles on front in order to uprate the front axle to stop overloading bt on a 6x2 unit id say its v hard to overload front axle on the said work(ive never been over)as for looking good a guess its personal pref

ellies dad:
Only for glory hunter Scania drivers.

:unamused:

Mr B:
i’m still a bit green behind the ears can someone explain what super singles are?

It’s a term used to describe 385/65/22.5 tyres which is the size that is most common on trailers in the UK. Some people like to fit them to the steer axle on tractor units instead of the normal 295 or 315mm wide tyres. As with everything in this world this has advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages include:

1. You can uprate the axle to 7500kg (or perhaps even 8000kg?) from the standard 7100kg which can be beneficial in some cases (for example on a rigid with a heavy hiab at the front).
  2. Some people think they look good.
  3. Some people find they get better tyre life.
  4. You can recut the tyres when they’re used up and put them on a trailer.

Disadvantages include:

1. You’ll use more fuel.
  2. You’ll wear out the kingpins and wheel bearings more quickly.
  3. The vehicle will tramline over ruts in the road more.
  4. You usually need to fit some spats to the bodywork to stop them spraying muck up the side of the wagon.
  5. The tyres are dearer.

It’s one of those horses for courses things as you can see from this and the other posts on this thread. Personally I wouldn’t bother unless I needed the extra axle payload.

Paul

Sorry to be so ignorant - but what are super singles??

Im uneducated you know.

steamer wroteSorry to be so ignorant - but what are super singles??

there 6ft blonde wmen ho have one the loterry and never moan!!! at you and are crying out for a trucker to marry

steamer:

Im uneducated you know.

it’s an absolute stunner of a fit bird that is also un attatched and great in the sack :smiley:

repton:

allikat:
I think the 2 main reasons we use them is the fact they last for ages, and we carry spares and swap them ourselves, so having them the same as trailer tyres means only carrying 2 spares.

I don’t get that as surely if you don’t have super singles you have the same size as all the rest of the tyres on the unit so you still only have to carry two spares? The only exception to that I can think of is if you have a low-ride unit with small drive axle tyres.

Paul

I dont like them either for the reasons given above. As for only having to carry one spare, that is all we did when I worked in Belgium. We carried a standard size unit wheel and an alloy spacer. If we blew a trailer tyre out, you just fitted the unit spare.

If you run a tag axle, you dont even need to carry a spare spare wheel :stuck_out_tongue:

read the post above yours mate :laughing:

steamer:

Same as a ■■■■! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Can I have one please?

mines got em,but i must admit that they are better for me than standard tyres for two reasons
1)weight-im a bit tubby up the front
2)dont get caught in the tramlines half as bad than standard tyres.
they get my vote.

For a 385 rim to be fitted to the steer axle of a truck it is supposed to be a different offset. I have always thought that it is illegal to use standard trailer offsets as well as impractical because of clearance issues. so surely it would not be possible to have one spare wheel for the truck and trailer.

The company i used to work for had them on the steer axle of there f12 6x2. S rides (rear lift)
They did help with the truck getting pushed straight on in tight bends and with the preasure set at 65psi it helped with the bumpy roads in Russia.
Now have them fitted to a 4x2 fh16 total waist of time in Europe.Go to get them changed to 315s.

So a super single is a front steering tire that’s the same size as a driven or trailer tire.

I’d always assumed they where those ickle tiny tag axle tires

I surprised nobody has commented on grip. I do a lot of driving down twisty Irish lanes, notoriously slippy, and the difference with super singles on is staggering. So much more grip. And yes, I may be a ‘glory hunting Scania driver’ but I think they look good and I like driving a good looking truck.

orrid things when on steer