NEW TOY

New toy to the fleet.
Its only got the 440 but its a quiet ride, the lad who,s got it says makes a diffrence with the super singles on front.

Wheels need cleaning drive :grimacing:

I like scanias.

PremiumTrucker:
Wheels need cleaning drive :grimacing:

I like scanias.

Yes mate he was ■■■■■■ of this aft he was heading back to get washed off.

I am interested to know how super singles on the front make it better :question:
I know they cost more and wont do any more miles than a standard steer tyre (provided like for like and not some cheapo super single that you wouldn’t want on the steer)
Do they not increase wear on steering joint mechanisms due to increased friction :question:
Without power steering you would struggle to turn the wheels whilst shunting, with power steering this is manageable but must exert more pressure on the mechanism.
What’s the benefits of super singles on the front and if there is a benefit why don’t manufacturers fit it as standard :question:

I have seen steer axles with these ‘super singles’ on the front that are plated for 9,000kg whereas the highest I’ve seen for normal tyres on a steer has been 8,000kg. Obviously it can make the difference between being overloaded and legal on something that tends to be front heavy such as a six-wheel rigid. There also appear to be a number of Irish fridge pullers who fit them to their 4x2 units.

Some seem to fit them just for aesthetic purposes, however, including on a mid-lift… :question:

Nice motor,I was going to drop by your yard last year to see if they were any jobs going but got sorted out.
What they like to work for■■? Never hear anything bad about them.

Olog Hai:
I have seen steer axles with these ‘super singles’ on the front that are plated for 9,000kg whereas the highest I’ve seen for normal tyres on a steer has been 8,000kg. Obviously it can make the difference between being overloaded and legal on something that tends to be front heavy such as a six-wheel rigid. There also appear to be a number of Irish fridge pullers who fit them to their 4x2 units.

Some seem to fit them just for aesthetic purposes, however, including on a mid-lift… :question:

Maybe you are right Olog, but that pic is of a 6x2 with mid lift
Can anyone else throw any light on what the benefits are :question:
I can only see negatives, but that’s prob just me :confused:

yorkshire terrier:
Nice motor,I was going to drop by your yard last year to see if they were any jobs going but got sorted out.

On the whole not bad at all father and son (mainly son) run firm 7 motors usual pound of flesh but pay more than most in area but if you re wanting 3,4,5 nights out a year forget it you might get that a year,all work is lancs, yorks ,notts ,odd london very rare scotch
but the lads are all long servers .

I used to drive a wrecker with super singles on the front, as has been mentioned you can load the front axle more, but from a driving point of view the difference when driving in the ruts that infest our roads with front supers is astonishing! They track perfectly well with no need to grip the wheel like it was Boris Johnson’s throat.

BIG AW:

yorkshire terrier:

On the whole not bad at all father and son (mainly son) run firm 7 motors usual pound of flesh but pay more than most in area but if you re wanting 3,4,5 nights out a year forget it you might get that a year,all work is lancs, yorks ,notts ,odd london very rare scotch
but the lads are all long servers .

Take it it’s hard to get on then??