Stupid Questions

Ok so I have some stupid questions and I also have the most stupidest question that I get asked about 5 times a day.

Me first.

I drive a rigid DAF 3 axle motor on which the rear wheels lift up and down as its an extra long truck for my run.

What would happen if I put the rear wheels down at 55mph?
Is it a good idea to keep the wheels down in windy weather when empty for better stability?

The stupid questions I get asked.

What you got for us driver?

A pallet.

Whats on it?

Something wrapped in black plastic

Whats in the black plastic?

How the hell should I know I dont have xray vision, and my notes just say 1 pallet.

dont see any problem putting an axle down when moving but think it might make the wagon less stable in adverse weather the oppossite of what you want as its been designed to be carrying weight when in use so travelling height will be affected and youd problby find a difference in the way the steering handles /braking affected more chance of wheels locking out

ive dropped the axle in mine before when moving and it dosent do anything really you just feel a bit of a bump when it first hits the floor - the drop axle is in front of the drive axle on mine though, it might make a difference if yours is on the back

I have dropped it when moving but not at high speeds, just wondered what would happen as I was going along today and it was windy so I wanted to drop the rear axle to keep the back in shape as it tends to fishtail a bit when the wind gets hold of it.

In the wet its not good as it lifts the other wheels up to much and I dont get traction if theres no weight on the truck.

dogmatix wrote:
What would happen if I put the rear wheels down at 55mph?

you come into land and off load the cargo :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You flat spot your tyres as the stationary or nearly stationary wheel hits the tarmac,

Also you could unsettle the truck as the suspension on the drive axle would be moving to level the chassis back out,

Drop when stationary or if you must whilst moving, use low speeds

Define low speeds :smiley: 30?

1st or 2nd gear sort of speeds :laughing:

Well as I rarely use 1st and 2nd that could be a problem :smiley:

" Stupidest Question i get asked"…
“whats the name of the haulier” :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I`m EMBLAZONED in bloody green with STOBART in big letters everywhere…
The truck is 60ft long 8ft wide and 13ft high… WITH STOBART WRITTEN ALL OVER IT :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I normally answer royal mail :unamused:

JB:
" Stupidest Question i get asked"…
“whats the name of the haulier” :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I`m EMBLAZONED in bloody green with STOBART in big letters everywhere…
The truck is 60ft long 8ft wide and 13ft high… WITH STOBART WRITTEN ALL OVER IT :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I normally answer royal mail :unamused:

They probably mean “Whats the name of the Haulier this week then”? :smiley: