Lift Axle Help?

Hi All

I could do with a bit of advice as over the weekend I drove my first 6 legger unit with a lift axle :smiley:

The question is - How do I know when to lower it :confused:

I noticed the control button on the dash but I didn’t know if it lowered automatically or if it was somehow determined by the weight of the trailer and needed to be activated by me?

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Mark

Not all are set up the same so best advice is to have a ‘play’ with it

As Rog says, just have a play in the yard before you go out next. Believe most will drop automatically once its got a certain amount of weight on.
Remember to lift it though when empty to save tyre wear. Also its not a good idea to run in the wet with it down when empty either.

Chopsticks:
As Rog says, just have a play in the yard before you go out next. Believe most will drop automatically once its got a certain amount of weight on.
Remember to lift it though when empty to save tyre wear. Also its not a good idea to run in the wet with it down when empty either.

Cheers Chopsticks I’ll give this a go next time I use one - I did press the button in the cab to see what happned and the axle did start to lower, but I was usure if it was lowering because it needed to due to the weight or if it was just going down anyway??

I guess for any new driver without knowing how to use these axles we risk having an axle overweight dependant on the weight of the load? :confused:

Anything made recently (less than 5 or 6 years old or something like that) and many older vehicles too will drop the lift axle automatically when the weight on the drive axle goes above a preset amount. Generally all you need to do is remember to lift it back up again when you’ve tipped your load. You’ll soon get used to how they work.

Paul

Another tip lift it when reversing into situ as if it is not a self steering one they drag alot

Raise in low traction situations else you’ll get nowhere!

Thanks all for the advice - I feel a lot more informed now so it should be ok next time :smiley: