A bit of info

I’m relatively new to class 1 driving and up until now have had no problems :unamused: I just want to know (with the threat of people calling me daft now!) my unit is a merc axor with an axle I can lift up, and all our trailers are tri axles!! I’ve read on here people describing things as 6x2 and 4x2 etc etc… I really am baffled as to where i should place pallets because the other day I took some 1 ton pallets and was wondering where the hell to put them? (I did spead them out evenly) where are my driving axles I’ve heard you lot talk about etc etc… so if someone could lay it out in a simplified way I would be very greatful :smiley: I’m also waiting for the ones calling me different things lol :blush: :blush:

Forgive me for being a little blunt but I think you should be doing a little homework on driving HGVs and the legal responsibilities before you go any further.

Driving a HGV without knowing the very basics is asking for trouble,if you dont know how to load a truck safely and legally now is stupidity.

You have gained your HGV ,dont throw it away .VOSA will not be bothered whether you are new to the job or not if your caught overloading axles.Dont learn the hard way.

Would have thought it was pretty much common sense which was the drive axle ? Or do not all truck drivers have basic mechanical knowledge.

It really is quite worrying when someone who is trusted with such a dangerous piece of machinery does not have any knowledge about how what he’s driving actually works :confused:
(sounds a bit like my sister who despite driving cars for 15+years told me she thought putting her rear fog lights on made the headlights brighter)

Giddy:
I’m relatively new to class 1 driving and up until now have had no problems :unamused: I just want to know (with the threat of people calling me daft now!) my unit is a merc axor with an axle I can lift up, and all our trailers are tri axles!! I’ve read on here people describing things as 6x2 and 4x2 etc etc… I really am baffled as to where i should place pallets because the other day I took some 1 ton pallets and was wondering where the hell to put them? (I did spead them out evenly) where are my driving axles I’ve heard you lot talk about etc etc… so if someone could lay it out in a simplified way I would be very greatful :smiley: I’m also waiting for the ones calling me different things lol :blush: :blush:

For pallets over a tonne, I put those ones in the cab.

:grimacing:

Sorry…

The 4x2, 6x2 stuff is simple :

4x2 = 4 wheels on prime mover, 2 driven
6x2 = 6 wheels on prime mover, 2 driven
6x4 = 6 wheels on prime mover, 4 driven (ie. double drive).

If you’ve got a lift axle then it’s more than likely a 6x2.

If the pallets are a tonne a piece then you can just do them 13 down each side of the trailer, starting up against the headboard, for a total of 26 = max weight more-or-less if it’s a normal curtain-sider.

If it’s a fridge or a similar weight trailer, then you won’t be able to load it with 26 x 1 tonne pallets as you’ll be overweight due to the extra weight that fridge trailers are. What you’d done then is just load 24 pallets but put the first 2 in the middle starting against the headboard, so that your first 2 rows only have 1 pallet then you have 11 rows of 2 = 24 total. This also stops you being overloaded on your drive axle. :slight_smile:

WOW am i gonna get in a bunch of ■■■■ for what i am about to say!!!

I have read over lots of different posts of people asking for help and advice and mentioning no names there are always always people that cut them down and then dont even have the balls to give them an answer(prob because they dont know themselves).

FFS this is a truck drivers forum where you supposed to help each other out, not stab each other in the back in a game of i am better than you are. what happend to sticking together and helping each other out.

Anyway giddy i will tell you what i think, if i am wrong in any way ime sure some one will let me know, bear in mind i have not driven in the uk in the last six years only canada and usa. Drive axle is the rear wheels on your truck which are mechanicly driven by the propshaft. The drive wheels also take a fair bit of the weight of your load.
4X2 is a unit which has two axles- steering axle and drive axle.
6X2 is a unit with three axles- steering axle, usualy second steering axle and then drive axle.(we do it different over here)
when it comes to axle weights my advice is to go to a scale empty weigh each axle and by doing simple math you will be able to find out where to place most of the weight on your trailer. if its a one piece bulky item then around 3ft infront of your first trailer axle etc.

Loading your truck safeley and legally is paramount. That said i can garuntee you that 99% of drivers on here that would have to load up to there max weight on pallets would load incorrect. No you wouldnt be overweight in total but you would be overwieght on one or more axles.
Unless you got onboard weighing or access to a scale and have time to jig your load around or the luxury of sliding axles then your hooped. That said giddy i will get a load of ■■■■ now so ive taken it from you. if you have any questions in particular PM me and i will help you out because thats what we do over here. Also i wasnt aware that when you passed your test you did 6 months learning mechanics or that you had to be a mechanic to drive a truck in england :unamused:
Let the slagging of begin.

mick palmer:
Forgive me for being a little blunt but I think you should be doing a little homework on driving HGVs and the legal responsibilities before you go any further.

Driving a HGV without knowing the very basics is asking for trouble,if you dont know how to load a truck safely and legally now is stupidity.

You have gained your HGV ,dont throw it away .VOSA will not be bothered whether you are new to the job or not if your caught overloading axles.Dont learn the hard way.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

well for me im glad he is asking the question here this is what the forums are for. at least he is asking and not just blundering on blindly. :unamused:

ppc25:
WOW am i gonna get in a bunch of [zb] for what i am about to say!!!

I have read over lots of different posts of people asking for help and advice and mentioning no names there are always always people that cut them down and then dont even have the balls to give them an answer(prob because they dont know themselves).

FFS this is a truck drivers forum where you supposed to help each other out, not stab each other in the back in a game of i am better than you are. what happend to sticking together and helping each other out.

Anyway giddy i will tell you what i think, if i am wrong in any way ime sure some one will let me know, bear in mind i have not driven in the uk in the last six years only canada and usa. Drive axle is the rear wheels on your truck which are mechanicly driven by the propshaft. The drive wheels also take a fair bit of the weight of your load.
6X2 is a unit with three axles- steering axle, usualy second steering axle and then drive axle.(we do it different over here)
when it comes to axle weights my advice is to go to a scale empty weigh each axle and by doing simple math you will be able to find out where to place most of the weight on your trailer. if its a one piece bulky item then around 3ft infront of your first trailer axle etc.

Loading your truck safeley and legally is paramount. That said i can garuntee you that 99% of drivers on here that would have to load up to there max weight on pallets would load incorrect. No you wouldnt be overweight in total but you would be overwieght on one or more axles.
Unless you got onboard weighing or access to a scale and have time to jig your load around or the luxury of sliding axles then your hooped. That said giddy i will get a load of [zb] now so ive taken it from you. if you have any questions in particular PM me and i will help you out because thats what we do over here. Also i wasnt aware that when you passed your test you did 6 months learning mechanics or that you had to be a mechanic to drive a truck in england :unamused:

HERE HERE :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ppc25:
WOW am i gonna get in a bunch of [zb] for what i am about to say!!!

Unless you got onboard weighing or access to a scale and have time to jig your load around or the luxury of sliding axles then your hooped. That said giddy i will get a load of [zb] now so ive taken it from you. if you have any questions in particular PM me and i will help you out because thats what we do over here. Also i wasnt aware that when you passed your test you did 6 months learning mechanics or that you had to be a mechanic to drive a truck in england :unamused:

Who’s cutting who down and doesn’t know the answers? Rob K answered Giddys reasonable question within 3 posts at least 20 minutes before you, or did it take you a long time to type it?

i’m guessing, the point trying to be made, is, guy asks, to most, what would appear to be a simple question, but, said guy doesn’t know, so assumes, this would be the right place to ask.
hence, much flaming, and a few decent, trying to be helpful replies.
i like this site, some cracking info, and real knowledgeable info to be had, i’ve been doing this job for 17 years, and still learn something new, most weeks. what i have noticed though, is, as with anything, there are, (only my opinion mind) a fair few ■■■■■■■■■ on here, those of the been there, seen it, done it brigade, and a fair few, that have been doing the job for x amount of time, that have become complacent, a know it all maybe, that they forget that a “noob”, may sometimes ask, what appears to some, to be a daft question.

why not try and cut the new guy, abit of slack, and pass on your fountains of knowledge, rather than be-little someone, that has the balls to ask a “stupid question.”

Common axle weights on UK units are : (some vehicles have slight variations, but as a guide these are pretty close!)
front axle 5500Kg
Lift Axle 5000KG (if fitted)
Drive Axle 10000KG if unit is a 6x2, 11500KG if unit is a 4x2 (some older vehicles are only 10500kg)
Tri axle trailer 8000Kg per axle
Tandom axle trailer 10000kg per axle

There are othe combinations, and variations depending on other things. If you need to be sure, check the manufactorers rating plate which is normally in the cab (try on the drivers seat mounting), and somewhere on the chassis of the trailer!

chilistrucker:
i’m guessing, the point trying to be made, is, guy asks, to most, what would appear to be a simple question, but, said guy doesn’t know, so assumes, this would be the right place to ask.
hence, much flaming, and a few decent, trying to be helpful replies.
i like this site, some cracking info, and real knowledgeable info to be had, i’ve been doing this job for 17 years, and still learn something new, most weeks. what i have noticed though, is, as with anything, there are, (only my opinion mind) a fair few [zb] on here, those of the been there, seen it, done it brigade, and a fair few, that have been doing the job for x amount of time, that have become complacent, a know it all maybe, that they forget that a “noob”, may sometimes ask, what appears to some, to be a daft question.

why not try and cut the new guy, abit of slack, and pass on your fountains of knowledge, rather than be-little someone, that has the balls to ask a “stupid question.”

Simpleton questions that deserve ridicule (all imho of course) are those that ask basic questions like “what is the speed limit for my truck on a motorway”. I don’t see anything to get excited over in this thread. The guy is new, clearly still learning the ropes and has asked for advice from those more experienced on something that doesn’t come up in the test. I think any normal person would be more than happy to help in this case. :confused:

Spot on Rob K :sunglasses:

truckerjon:
Common axle weights on UK units are : (some vehicles have slight variations, but as a guide these are pretty close!)
front axle 5500Kg
Drive Axle 10000KG if unit is a 6x2, 11500KG if unit is a 4x2 (some older vehicles are only 10500kg)

There are othe combinations, and variations depending on other things. If you need to be sure, check the manufactorers rating plate which is normally in the cab (try on the drivers seat mounting), and somewhere on the chassis of the trailer!

Front axle weights are closer to 7500 to 8000kg

Working out how to balance a load can be a bit of an art. In general, if you have three axles on the unit you are pretty safe to load 1 tonne pallets from the headboard. If there are an odd number then always ask for the odd one to be put on its own at the front. Even with 12 x 1 tonne pallets against the headboard, you wont be overloading 3 axles, though 2 axles would be a problem.

There are more things than the weight to worry about: It is always best to have the front of the load (however many pallets or whatever) tight up against the headboard. This means that it won’t start sliding forward if you have to stop in a hurry. If you cant do that then make sure the front is well strapped - not only down but round the front as well. Remember that a free pallet in the middle of the bed can easily fall over sideways if it isn’t strapped.

If the pallets are really heavy (we get 2 tonners sometimes) then singly in the middle is best. You shouldnt rely on the loader, but he is probably used to the goods he is handling and can advise you (your responsability though)

Wheel Nut:

truckerjon:
front axle 5500Kg

Front axle weights are closer to 7500 to 8000kg

Correct!
my mistake! :blush:

Giddy:

Are you being serious or are you trying to wind people up? Just a question like… cos I don’t know!

Oh, and could you tell us how long you’ve been driving your Axor with it’s axle you can lift up, and a tri axle trailer? Thanks.

there are guides on weights just inside your drivers door, they give you your wagons weights, and the trailer should be marked up as well (usually around by the landing leg handle). agency drivers should pay attention to that as well. the only reason why you should be wary when carrying a payload is when its a loaded is a container, as you have no idea how its been loaded.

How is he supposed to know how to load a trailer, because nobody tells you. This was one of the things that annoyed me when I passed my test and it was only by asking I found out. I also found out that a lot of " experienced " drivers didn’t know either. Whats that old saying " empty vessels make the most noise"
I still find it hard to believe that new drivers are sent out on the road with a basic idea of how to drive and little else, they shouldn’t have to guess, the risks are too high.
So Giddy, ask away and ignore the idiots who slag you off for using your brain.

Well I’m sorry I sparked such anger in people :astonished: thank you to the people who actually answered my question it’s a great help and I really do have a better understanding now and will definately feel confident the next time I have to load!!!
Perhaps I should have mentioned this in my first post sorry :blush: :blush: I’ve been driving rigids for 5 years and only ever carried pallets of windows which very rarely weighed more than about 1/2 ton and were carried on specially designed trucks with like pigeon holes for each pallet so loading was never an issue they just went in they’re retrospective holes!!! and I’ve been driving class 1 for just over a month now.
Thanks again to everyone who replied I do appreciate it.

WHEEL NUT, you would be correct my typing is that slow, :laughing: usually done with one finger :laughing:
Its nice to see the guy getting some help as well.
I remember when i passed my test i was lucky enough to have been given lessons and spent a lot of time with an old timer who taught me everythig from backing blind side to loading roping and sheeting. Other newbies are not so lucky.