A bit of info

Rob K:

chilistrucker:
i’m guessing, the point trying to be made, is, guy asks, to most, what would appear to be a simple question, but, said guy doesn’t know, so assumes, this would be the right place to ask.
hence, much flaming, and a few decent, trying to be helpful replies.
i like this site, some cracking info, and real knowledgeable info to be had, i’ve been doing this job for 17 years, and still learn something new, most weeks. what i have noticed though, is, as with anything, there are, (only my opinion mind) a fair few [zb] on here, those of the been there, seen it, done it brigade, and a fair few, that have been doing the job for x amount of time, that have become complacent, a know it all maybe, that they forget that a “noob”, may sometimes ask, what appears to some, to be a daft question.

why not try and cut the new guy, abit of slack, and pass on your fountains of knowledge, rather than be-little someone, that has the balls to ask a “stupid question.”

Simpleton questions that deserve ridicule (all imho of course) are those that ask basic questions like “what is the speed limit for my truck on a motorway”. I don’t see anything to get excited over in this thread. The guy is new, clearly still learning the ropes and has asked for advice from those more experienced on something that doesn’t come up in the test. I think any normal person would be more than happy to help in this case. :confused:

couldn’t agree more.

mick palmer:
Forgive me for being a little blunt but I think you should be doing a little homework on driving HGVs and the legal responsibilities before you go any further.

Driving a HGV without knowing the very basics is asking for trouble,if you dont know how to load a truck safely and legally now is stupidity.

You have gained your HGV ,dont throw it away .VOSA will not be bothered whether you are new to the job or not if your caught overloading axles.Dont learn the hard way.

Bet he’s really grateful for your help you idiot!

Giddy:
I’m relatively new to class 1 driving and up until now have had no problems :unamused: I just want to know (with the threat of people calling me daft now!) my unit is a merc axor with an axle I can lift up, and all our trailers are tri axles!! I’ve read on here people describing things as 6x2 and 4x2 etc etc… I really am baffled as to where i should place pallets because the other day I took some 1 ton pallets and was wondering where the hell to put them? (I did spead them out evenly) where are my driving axles I’ve heard you lot talk about etc etc… so if someone could lay it out in a simplified way I would be very greatful :smiley: I’m also waiting for the ones calling me different things lol :blush: :blush:

Try and do some internet research mate, there’s loads of things I want to know but wouldn’t give the people on here - the ones who were born as experienced 50 year old truck drivers who were at no point in there lives inexperienced - the satisfaction of trying to dent your confidence by being cyber bullies . . . ie; total tossers!

Good luck and I hope you find your answer :wink:

redbob:

redbob:
Try and do some internet research mate, there’s loads of things I want to know but wouldn’t give the people on here - the ones who were born as experienced 50 year old truck drivers who were at no point in there lives inexperienced - the satisfaction of trying to dent your confidence by being cyber bullies . . . ie; total tossers!

So where’s your contribution to answering the OP’s question you t**t?

EastAnglianTrucker:

redbob:

redbob:

So where’s your contribution to answering the OP’s question you t**t?

I dont know answer thats why I didn’t bother to mock him, but if I did know, I would have gladly have helped him.
Hope that answers your question. Now run along and carry on crunching your carrots on your harvester.

Can somebody on Trucknet please tell me what is wrong with advising a new driver to do some ‘homework’ before they ■■■■-up big style ?

Trucknet is unfortunatley full of so called truck drivers who know everything but absolutely sod all !!!

Until anybody has seen what type of load is being carried,type of trailer being used,type of unit being used (does the unit have Hiab fitted etc…all things to be taken into account) can anybody comment on what payload can be loaded.

Only the driver of said vehicle at time of loading is going to know.For example loading something which can be subject to rain ,ie. sand (waterlogged) will weigh more than when its dry.

Explaning to Vosa or a traffic cop that somebody on Trucknet said you could load ‘X’ amount on your trailer is not going to let you off with a slapped hand , morelikley a hefty fine and points on your HGV licence. This is the real world and finding out what you can and cant do beforehand has got to be better.

Ive been driving trucks 30 years (And yes I am still learning!!! ) and my advice is bloody COMMON SENSE !!.Rare on Trucknet im afraid.

mick palmer:
Can somebody on Trucknet please tell me what is wrong with advising a new driver to do some ‘homework’ before they ■■■■-up big style ?

Trucknet is unfortunatley full of so called truck drivers who know everything but absolutely sod all !!!

Until anybody has seen what type of load is being carried,type of trailer being used,type of unit being used (does the unit have Hiab fitted etc…all things to be taken into account) can anybody comment on what payload can be loaded.

Only the driver of said vehicle at time of loading is going to know.For example loading something which can be subject to rain ,ie. sand (waterlogged) will weigh more than when its dry.

Explaning to Vosa or a traffic cop that somebody on Trucknet said you could load ‘X’ amount on your trailer is not going to let you off with a slapped hand , morelikley a hefty fine and points on your HGV licence. This is the real world and finding out what you can and cant do beforehand has got to be better.

Ive been driving trucks 30 years (And yes I am still learning!!! ) and my advice is bloody COMMON SENCE !!.Rare on Trucknet im afraid.

I have also been driving trucks a similar amount of time and in this case, “the load is known” it is one ton pallets that Giddy was asking about. I presume he means tonne rather than 1016kg

And whether the truck has a Hiab, a blow up doll in the seat or a Moffett hung off the arse end it makes no difference.

The axle weights on the ministry plate and the tare and gross weights are the only thing that is certain and exceeding the limits is foolish both for a new driver or a seasoned old trucker like yourself.

A ton of wet sand weighs exactly the same as a ton of dry feathers!

ppc25:
WOW am i gonna get in a bunch of [zb] for what i am about to say!!!

I have read over lots of different posts of people asking for help and advice and mentioning no names there are always always people that cut them down and then dont even have the balls to give them an answer(prob because they dont know themselves).

FFS this is a truck drivers forum where you supposed to help each other out, not stab each other in the back in a game of i am better than you are. what happend to sticking together and helping each other out.

Anyway giddy i will tell you what i think, if i am wrong in any way ime sure some one will let me know, bear in mind i have not driven in the uk in the last six years only canada and usa. Drive axle is the rear wheels on your truck which are mechanicly driven by the propshaft. The drive wheels also take a fair bit of the weight of your load.
4X2 is a unit which has two axles- steering axle and drive axle.
6X2 is a unit with three axles- steering axle, usualy second steering axle and then drive axle.(we do it different over here)
when it comes to axle weights my advice is to go to a scale empty weigh each axle and by doing simple math you will be able to find out where to place most of the weight on your trailer. if its a one piece bulky item then around 3ft infront of your first trailer axle etc.

Loading your truck safeley and legally is paramount. That said i can garuntee you that 99% of drivers on here that would have to load up to there max weight on pallets would load incorrect. No you wouldnt be overweight in total but you would be overwieght on one or more axles.
Unless you got onboard weighing or access to a scale and have time to jig your load around or the luxury of sliding axles then your hooped. That said giddy i will get a load of [zb] now so ive taken it from you. if you have any questions in particular PM me and i will help you out because thats what we do over here. Also i wasnt aware that when you passed your test you did 6 months learning mechanics or that you had to be a mechanic to drive a truck in england :unamused:
Let the slagging of begin.

Check out the argument we’re having on the longer trailers from 2011 thread if you really think that we’re all stupid on here but the yanks and the ex pats can speak for themselves. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

very good :grimacing: :grimacing:

Lycanthrope:

Wheel Nut:

But it’ll take a lot more than an eight wheeler tipper or even the zb Denby bog roll b train special to haul 18 tonnes of feathers. :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

Lycanthrope:

Wheel Nut:

But it’ll take a lot more than an eight wheeler tipper or even the zb Denby bog roll b train special to haul 18 tonnes of feathers. :laughing: :laughing:

Not if they are still attached to the chicken

Wheel Nut:

Carryfast:

Lycanthrope:

Wheel Nut:

Not if they are still attached to the chicken

Not cream cakes this time then.It’s around 18,000 chickens so instead of Heather hijacking the load it’ll be a gang of around 1000 foxes when the truck stops at the lights.That’ll put at least one of the axles overweight by about the same amount as she would have done. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: