A question for those keyed up on axle weights

I parked up on my break today when I got a call from a mate who had just loaded Peat, 6 pallets, 6 ton roughly.
He’s in an 18tonner like me so he loaded the 6 pallets over the rear axle and worked forward (as I too would have done)

Now his boss called him to let him know there was 3 pallets to pick up out of a spot near Brampton but the guy wouldn’t be in so its a tail lift pick up, only about 500 kilos in total. When he told his boss he had no room to fit them on behind the Peat due to loading all the weight over the drive axle he was given a good telling off as there was no need to load it that way.

Now Im sure I heard somewhere that a “steering” axle’s max load is 7.5t and the drive axle is 11.5t, in total 19t but plated at 18t,
now heres the dilemma,
putting 6t on the headboard would surely overload his front axle as the 7.5t includes the weight of the engine, cab, chassis etc and by loading it over the rear axle he was in the right and his boss is being a twonk. Am I right? Poor lad has only just started driving and stuff like this isn’t doing much for is confidence.

ta

Really, his boss should have told him he was likely to have to make another collection. In the absence of that information, I personally would have loaded one pallet up against the headboard in the centre, then two pallets, then another pallet on its own in the centre, then another two.

I hope you changed the mode switch to other work whilst you were discusing this!!!

Harry Monk:
Really, his boss should have told him he was likely to have to make another collection. In the absence of that information, I personally would have loaded one pallet up against the headboard in the centre, then two pallets, then another pallet on its own in the centre, then another two.

Yes, or 1 + 1 + 2 + 2

If they are extra heavy pallets, you could beg or steal a stack of pallets to replace the first pallet and then go 2 +2+ 2

As you say the front axle is plated at 7.5 / 8t, but as you load the body, the seesaw effect takes weight off the front axle

Maybe his boss was a twonk for giving him a telling off- depending what the interpretation of a “telling off” is- but in general, it is always safe practice to start the load against the headboard.

Pallets are a tonne each so 1+1+2+2 would have been fine. It is always best to load against the headboard.

On general haulage you always should be prepared to be given an extra collection.

Hopefully your mate will just be given a lesson on how to balance loads.

1+1+2+2 gets my vote too. I’d have picked up the 3 pallets and got them to reload it so you had 2 of the light, 2 heavy, 2heavy, 2heavy then one light or put the last light one up straddling the one over the drive axle and the one in front of that.

Conor:
1+1+2+2 gets my vote too. I’d have picked up the 3 pallets and got them to reload it so you had 2 of the light, 2 heavy, 2heavy, 2heavy then one light or put the last light one up straddling the one over the drive axle and the one in front of that.

RTFQ

There was no one else there, the driver had to use his own tail lift

So you don’t stack one then. Must be as thick as ■■■■■■■ if you can’t work that out. I used to wonder why the hell companies thought I was a good driver then I see stupid comments like yours and all is revealed.

Pumptruck? I’d have gone for 1+1+2+2, we have 12 ton boxes and carry radiators and boilers mainly, whats really interesting is my 5th drop also includes collecting ibt’s, good fun playing tetris in the back with a pump truck standard 4 ways and up to 600x2200mm pallets weighing up to a tonne, sometimes the only way is to strip and reload :frowning: . On board axle weighers now linked to Masternaut mean we cant go within 200kg of max axle weight. Sholuld’ve seen me on wednesday, the numpties in warehouse had labelled every pallet wrong and I loaded them in the ‘correct order’ ha to strip the lot using pumptruck, taillift and customers not so flat carpark.

Harry Monk:

Yep.Wouldnt give that much mess when doing an Emergency stop as Freight wouldnt shift or flip over

Conor:
So you don’t stack one then. Must be as thick as ■■■■■■■ if you can’t work that out. I used to wonder why the hell companies thought I was a good driver then I see stupid comments like yours and all is revealed.

You don’t know whether they are stackable, oversize or hazardous you twonk, as I said read the question before your gob makes you look an idiot (Again)

The lad asked for some advice if it happened again, he got that before you commented :arrow_right:

Conor:

See, I just can’t work out why you ever chose to become a truck driver, when a glittering career in the Diplomatic Corps was yours for the taking. :wink: