Advice and Info Needed Please - Take 2 ;)

Ok so i posted earlier in the week and got some great replies which saved me making a huge mistake, anyway…

I have an interview and assessment on Monday with Active Carriers running out of Tipton on night trunks to Lichfield. Looks like a Palletways contract - Does anybody have any information regarding this firm?

Ive been honest with the MD about my lack of experience on Double Deck Trailers…therefore any advice on these would be great.
I understand that due to their height im looking at roundabouts and corners at a much lower speed especially when loaded.
Obviously im going to ensure that it is loaded properly (i.e. not top heavy etc). But like I say any further advice would be great.

Palletways ? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Anyway the double Decker’s is pretty much as you have said, you might feel it lean a bit more on corners and you have to be a little more careful of that and bridges as said. You’'ll soon know what shouldn’t be loaded on the top that slides around and falls down between the floors and curtain. :laughing:
If you happen to have a newish trailer it could well have the anti-roll braking or whatever its called. If it thinks you are too fast or perhaps leaning too much it will brake for you.

DAFMAD:
Anyway the double Decker’s is pretty much as you have said, you might feel it lean a bit more on corners and you have to be a little more careful of that and bridges as said. You’'ll soon know what shouldn’t be loaded on the top that slides around and falls down between the floors and curtain. :laughing:
If you happen to have a newish trailer it could well have the anti-roll braking or whatever its called. If it thinks you are too fast or perhaps leaning too much it will brake for you.

DAF, I think it’s the unit that has a level sensor and does the braking it you’re leaning too much.

You can still get them trailers round bends at a fair rate of knotts if you know what you’re doing :sunglasses: :laughing:

Make sure you have a bridge height atlas, every hgv driver should own one. Even though your route will be the same everynight you may have to detour. It’ll be a piece of ■■■■ after the first couple of nights, then zero stress ad infinitum. Ah, the easy life. Unless you can’t hack working nights that is.

Don’t curb the trailer wheels as the 17.5/19.5’s are weak!

Steve-o:

DAFMAD:

DAF, I think it’s the unit that has a level sensor and does the braking it you’re leaning too much.

You can still get them trailers round bends at a fair rate of knotts if you know what you’re doing :sunglasses: :laughing:

we,ve got montracon sliders with anti roll fitted works a treat but can be a pain when your empty cos it still kicks in and spoils your fun :unamused: :unamused:

Steve-o:

DAFMAD:

That would be called EBS, Electronic Braking System, it senses the difference in air pressure in the suspension air bags, and if it goes over a pre determined differential, it applies the brakes.

it is also fitted to trailers, i had an RSG EcoSlider container carrier trailer with it fitted, and it did work :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

If it is the EBS thats doing this and not the trailer anti-roll braking why does it only apply the trailer brakes when it kicks in and also why does it not work on earlier (but not old) trailers ? :smiling_imp:

tonka236:
Ok so i posted earlier in the week and got some great replies which saved me making a huge mistake, anyway…

I have an interview and assessment on Monday with Active Carriers running out of Tipton on night trunks to Lichfield. Looks like a Palletways contract - Does anybody have any information regarding this firm?

Ive been honest with the MD about my lack of experience on Double Deck Trailers…therefore any advice on these would be great.
I understand that due to their height im looking at roundabouts and corners at a much lower speed especially when loaded.
Obviously im going to ensure that it is loaded properly (i.e. not top heavy etc). But like I say any further advice would be great.

OK…
Double deck trailers. As long as you don’t drive like a ■■■, you’ll be OK. They’re actually quite good in the wind as well but as you can put a shedload of pallets on, you have to really watch the depot doesn’t overload you. Empty, they weigh quite a lot so you’re not going to get much more than 22 tonnes on one. You should be given a route to take by your depot but keep a Truckers Road Atlas with low bridge heights handy in case of detours.
Palletways Litchfield is crap. You queue for ages to get into the place then the snotty nosed runt yard marshall will have a go at you cos you’re in the wrong place. Eventually you’ll be pulled into the shed and tipped. From there, you go back round to the mayhem in the main yard and try to find somewhere to park up, waiting to be instructed to go back into the sheds for unloading. There’s several handy hints for what you need to have when you’re there but I’ll save them for when you say you’ve got the job or not.

Hardest part of that job is keeping awake.

Steve-o:

Our newer trailers have it, and boy does it pull you up a bit sharpish. A bit of a camber at normal speeds will have it kicking in.

DAFMAD:
If it is the EBS thats doing this and not the trailer anti-roll braking why does it only apply the trailer brakes when it kicks in and also why does it not work on earlier (but not old) trailers ? :smiling_imp:

it is a system fitted on the unit and trailer, it senses the different pressures in the air bags on the trailers, if the difference between the pressures in the two sides of the trailer, the EBS kicks in on the trailer.

the trailer has to be compatible with the unit for the system to work, most modern units have EBS fitted as standard, if it is activated, it applies the trailer brakes pretty sharpish :open_mouth:

If Palletways/Active Transport are anything like our lot (Palletforce) you will have little influence on how they load the trailer. Even so take a good look and if you aren’t happy then ask the FLT driver to sort it.

DD trailers aren’t much different really as they should put all the heavy stuff on the botton deck. Doesn’t stop them looking pretty intimidating though.

Tipton to Lichfield is only 45 mins anyway so I guess you will have to do it a few times every night. I bet the last driver quit from boredom :slight_smile:

Ive got a crap memory was lichfield i used to go, think it was the same place Pallatways get confused with all the names.

I was lucky used to arrive there during the day get tipped straight away, have my 9 hours off, then get loaded just before the mad rush started typically. I was the first run back up the road, so usually was a case of drive in get loaded pretty quick.

They kept on changing the way they do things, last time i was in you werent allowed out your cab in the sheds, the curtains had to be open and tied back before you entered, used to be able to open the curtains inside the sheds.

Loading as said before is the biggie, most of the people that loaded me in there were great used common sense, others not so great, tried to send the guy i worked with out overloaded. He said no i’ll get a huge fine if caught the loader said so i don’t care, so was a lot of carryon to get it sorted.

I don’t see the problem with deckers, its maybe because after i passed my test they were the first things i drove constantly, used to take them across the A69, the A75 and other routes never any problems with handling.

As said before just watching the loading, can pretty quickly suss how heavy it is and how it handles, because it will change depending on what your carrying, espec getting stuff out of Pallatways, changes everynight, used to get weighed before the boat some nights 25tons some night 38tons.