Stuff nicked out my cab

Well there are redundancies being made where i worked, so i decided to leave after i was told i was one of the nine, i already had another job sorted anyway. Was told on the Saturday when i got back to the yard, then went in Monday evening to clear my truck out. Got home and thought ■■■■ i forgot to get my sat nav and dvd player,so went back to the yard to find they are both missing.

Well that was last monday and i am still no further forward, the old bill dont want to know and neither does my ex-boss. So he seems to think i should just take this lying down, but i dont see why i should be £350+ out of pocket.

Its not the first time this has happened in the yard, and the two previous occasions the boss has paid up for stuff stolen out of my truck.

I cant claim on my house insurance as i dont have cover away from home. So i was wondering if anyone has any advice on what i can do?

i would like to think if you reported the theft to the police then they would have to investagate it and i would talk to your ex boss again about it but he not forthcoming then get legal advice

scotstrucker:
i would like to think if you reported the theft to the police then they would have to investagate it and i would talk to your ex boss again about it but he not forthcoming then get legal advice

Without any real proof or evidence, the police would see it as a waste of time investigating, we know it’s not right…just the way things are nowadays. :frowning:

Go back and brick a few cab windows :smiley:

You’d think the gaffer would know who took your old truck out on the Monday? Ask one of the other lads and see if they know.

The truck didnt move from when i left it saturday to when i cleaned it out Monday night. So i think it is someone who i worked with. The keys are hung up on the wall in the tea room and anyone with access to the tea room also has access to all the keys.

The boss said he checked the tearoom cctv but the keys didnt move all weekend, so he thinks i am talking ■■■■. What i tried to explain to him was A the picture is very blurry B it only just picks up the keyboard and C there is nothing stopping someone standing in front of the key board and swapping keys so it looked like mine hadnt moved.

My only other option is to go down and help myself to diesel to the amount of my goods :confused: The police have already told me they wont investigate as there is no chance of finding the culprit. Personally i would start with the bloke who has stolen out of my truck twice before. We all know who that was, and the boss told me he wouldnt use him again, yet one week later he is back in working :imp:

Its just a waste because the sat nav has a keycode on it, so they will probably just throw it away. What really ■■■■■■ me off is i have lost all my saved locations, to out of the way places in various European countries.

scotstrucker:
i would like to think if you reported the theft to the police then they would have to investigate it and i would talk to your ex boss again about it but he not forthcoming then get legal advice

Police should be checking CCTV if there is any near to the truck!!!, they should also be asking if there is any witness at the time of the offense but if there is none of the above, sorry you are buggered mate

but if i was you i would be rinigng in just to get an update

look to be fair i dont know you or your boss and everybody is different but my course of action would be to turn up unannounced walk into his office and confront him but by be very calm and ask him how he wants to procede with this and when he tells you to shove off pull half a brick out off your coat and ask him again.

look i know everybodys different and your boss could be an ex wrestler so that tatic could sort of back fire, but if your sure off yourself then stand up for yourself.

jessicas dad:
look to be fair i dont know you or your boss and everybody is different but my course of action would be to turn up unannounced walk into his office and confront him but by be very calm and ask him how he wants to procede with this and when he tells you to shove off pull half a brick out off your coat and ask him again.

look i know everybodys different and your boss could be an ex wrestler so that tatic could sort of back fire, but if your sure off yourself then stand up for yourself.

well said jessicas dad, and brick a windscreen when you can, PS dont get caught

daleyboy:
Personally i would start with the bloke who has stolen out of my truck twice before. We all know who that was, and the boss told me he wouldnt use him again, yet one week later he is back in working :imp:

why is this bloke still on site if hes done it twice before, and why is the boss still employing him?

My advice would be to do things properlly… Write a letter to your ex company exaplaining that your things have been stolen, and that you are holding the company responsible, ask them to respond to your letter within 14 days to explain how they would like to proceed with the matter, Also ask for copies of CCTV and and details of who may have taken the truck out or had access to the vehicle on Sunday / Monday, explain that you need this information to allow the matter to be fully investigated.

If you hear nothing then brick his windows.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to see them again today, and i am going to keep seeing them until i am paid up. I know they are worried about me, because when i went in for my redundancy meeting, the boss actually said to me they were having their solicitor present because they were worried i was going to kick off.

They have said to me before i have a very confrontational attitude. Where personally i have always been brought up never to back down when somebody does me a wrong, and being 27 stone and 6"8 with a skinhead tends to help that approach. :wink:

I think writing a letter might be a good idea, which i think i will do today, so thanks for that.

As for keeping the bloke on that has stolen twice, he is actually a casual driver and personally i am astounded that they keep having him in to do work, but then you only have to look at their track record then you wouldn’t be surprised, for example there was one driver who actually fell out of the cab one morning on top of the boss still drunk from the night before, he was then sacked but they still have him in to cover for work. Then there was the driver who was pulled in France for being over the “recommended” limit but not the legal limit. They suspended him for two weeks but then called him back in two days later to cover a run.

Their attitude for the last 6 months stinks. I have personally heard these words come out of the bosses mouth “if you don’t like it there’s the door ■■■■ off” and that was in response to asking for a pay rise, which no one in the company has had in 6 years!!!

he does sound like he needs a bit of " bringing back down to earth " and you sound like just the bloke to do it.

daleyboy:
Was told on the Saturday when i got back to the yard, then went in Monday evening to clear my truck out. Got home and thought [zb] i forgot to get my sat nav and dvd player,so went back to the yard to find they are both missing.

I find this pretty odd to say the least. You tell us that you’ve had stuff nicked before; you tell us that your ex boss is a ZB; yet, having been paid off, you just leave your kit in the truck for three days. Frankly you deserve to lose it, and I am not in the least surprised that no one wants do do anything.

Yeah, I can see where you’re coming from Santa.

Not sure what your talking about Santa. I was told on the Saturday i was being made redundant, but we ended the meeting then because i wanted a witness present when we discussed the reasons why i was being made redundant as i dont believe it had been conducted fairly. At the time this happened i had no intention of leaving straight away because we were guaranteed our jobs until the end of February so there was no need to take stuff out my truck. And i hadnt decided if i was going to take this other job i had been offered because it is working nights, which i have always struggled with.

I have only ever had stuff nicked when this certain person was actually allocated to drive my truck, he never just took the keys and helped himself.

I apologise for not making that clear in the original post, but i just hope you never have anything nicked out of your truck, because i certainly wouldn’t come on here and tell you you deserved it, i find this view of yours rather unpleasant, and one of the reasons why i no longer want to work in the industry.

Maybe it came over a bit harsh - What i was trying to say was that in view of the circs it seems a little careless to leave valuable gear in your cab.

When I was full time and had my own motor I took my gadgets home with me even though the unit was locked in the yard. If the kids will break in to steal a phone - why leave them a bonus? Never mind thieving co workers.

Not having kit insured seems a tad shortsighted too.

I am also unsure as to why you think your ex boss is liable? When I was a TM we made it clear to all the drivers that they were responsible for any kit that wasn’t supplied by us. We would replace radios because they were original equipment but not the driver’s TV etc.

always took my stuff home and especially when going on holiday I am a cynical old sod I suppose but I dont trust anyone anymore,you could chin the boss or brick his windows but if he gets the old bill involved you get nicked and then probably not get a reference for your next job, I dot drive now and work in a college in central london and when there is an theft of which there are a lot the security report it online and if they are lucky the police ring them thet day to get a report but they may wait 3 days and SOCO will turn up to take prints on surfaces that have been touched for 3 days I think the old bill are not interested unless someone is being killed or maybe in central london they just cannot cope with all the crime, however they are always very good at nicking motorists and truckers good luck with it mate I know how you feel

Yes Daleyboy, It does change things a bit, now we’ve seen the other circ’s, but, while I do sympathise with you and would like to do some damage to the tea leaf if I was in your boat, I wouldn’t have given the scrote a chance in the first place. Maybe you’ll bash into the turd one day, then you can have a chat with him.

If you reported the matter to the Police, you are entitled to the crime being recorded and them giving you a crime number. You should also tell them about your suspect & his history.