Strike!!!

Any body listened to talk in program in early hours of tues morn (15/02)
where they had a discussion about the WTD.
Allegedly (zb) tanker drivers are talking about strike action in early march whilst there is a rumbling of a national strike for other drivers .
Owner drivers will benefit here me thinks especially if continues till 2009 (wtd)
anybody heard anything
ALL WE WANT IS A DECENT PAY FOR 48 HRS
After nearly being run off the road on numerous occasions(other drivers fallimg asleep) the sign out option on a night is helping no one
cant beleive that with only 4 weeks to go our"blue chip company" hasn,t even sorted it out yet . 50/% of our freight moves on a night!!!
What are other drivers grievences about wtd…

edited to take out company name :unamused: :wink: mrs mix

I listened to that programme, was it Mike Mendoza

I certainly do not want to be represented by half the dingbats that were ringing in to the programme.

No one is going to take a bloke seriously if he does not know the basic facts about his industry.

James Whale is certainly right about Tony Blair though :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
James Whale is certainly right about Tony Blair though…

Couldn’t agree with you more…!

I don’t know what your worried about. I am sure a lot of large companies are not going to bother their arse about the WTD. They will simply carry on they way they are. If they get their knuckles wrapped…so what, they could probably stand the fine with their savings from not complying and still have profit. Many will will probably push it as far as they can to see what they get away with.

The government don’t care anyway otherwise they would not have allow ed the term ‘Periods of availability’ to be used they way it has been suggested. It simply lets them off the hook with Europe since they are complying and they will be glad that road transport stays much the way it is without adding inflationary pressure to our Mr Brown’s much beloved economy.

was it on a BBC channel?

If so let me know which one and approximate times and I’ll see about putting an mp3 copy online.

el gordo 78:
was it on a BBC channel?

If so let me know which one and approximate times and I’ll see about putting an mp3 copy online.

El, The programme I listened to was TalkSport 1053 - 1089,not sure if there is listen again on the web or on sky

Has anybody else noticed there is nothing about the WTD in the main news or much shouting in major press?
The big companies are banking on Eastern Europe to supply the drivers to keep the wheels turning. They are not making a big noise because they don’t want people to hear. If we all stick together and boucot the likes of Tesco who are employing ‘non uk’ drivers they may take notice. If we can stop the migrant workers we can get a good rate for 48 hours and make a reasonable living.
Personally, i would have been happy with a 55 hour week and a bit on the rate to eaven things out for the employers and employees.
The main thing is keep an eye on the job pages and start looking for the money. Once the top payers start taking the drivers the others will have to increase their rates or perish.
As for a strike. I am all for it. Show everybody how much they depend on us for every thing that they use in life with the exception of air.

strike
do behave, you would have to get hauliers/drivers to stick together.

been there talked about this many times b4.

rubbish

Yeah. Wasn’t it about fuel?

That was the last time anybody took notice.

If only they had stayed at home during the fuel protests!!! :imp: :imp: :imp:

ohterry:
strike
do behave, you would have to get hauliers/drivers to stick together.

been there talked about this many times b4.

rubbish

so very true

But whilst we are more interested in cutting each others throats than sticking together it will never happen.

Maggie called it the free market :unamused:

At least the French know how to stick together we might learn a thing or two from them

north surrey haulage:
But whilst we are more interested in cutting each others throats than sticking together it will never happen.

Maggie called it the free market :unamused:

At least the French know how to stick together we might learn a thing or two from them

spot on there nsh… :wink:

Are the rench not having a bit of bother now though?

ie:- their economy is colapsing because everybody is at home drinking plonk.

I am all for the 48 hour week but what do I use to buy my vin rouge if i have not got enough coming in to cover the bills?

I say they should scrap POA and call it 55 hours all in. That would be fair on both sides, wouldn’t it?

how about just letting you work as many hours as you want :question: (legally of course… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing: )

Ive always said..12 hours on...12 hours off..simple innit..but no one listened so ive decided on a 1 week on…and 1 week off…steady run to espagne…bit of sun…bit of sangria…cheap plonk for the old woman…(well i do love her…a bit)
and as for drivers sticking together…they tell me a man has landed on the moon…

I know what you mean about sticking together.

In our depot there are 12 drivers. The manager asked to see us individually to sort out weekend work the like to get the money up but we all decided to make sure we were talking as one group.

Next day licky licky good lad was in on his own to look after number 1>