stopping smoking

any of you guys who smoke ever tried to give up, i decieded to give up a while ago and i set my date as last sunday… iv managed to stay of them now for a week and am starting to find things quite hard tonight as im having a few bweer… i always said if i was to stop smoking i woauld have to stop drinking aswell. and to be honest theres not much chance of that… any of you guys managed to quit…

I gave up smoking a while ago for 2 months 30 days so just short of 3 full months. People had said the first 3 days is hardest, then 3 weeks & if you can make it past 3 months you’ve cracked it. :confused: oops!!!
Intend to try again soon but know its gonna be hard as since ive been driving for a living ive found myself smoking alot more!!

i can go all day at work, driving all day and not even think of a cigerette untill i get home… im not usually home till late so its not really a problem… but when im drinkning it is an absolute night mare, i am so close to go to the 24/7 beside me.

I stopped 1year and 2 or so months ago.

First 24 hours were murder (i could have killed someone in a fight if provoked slightly).

Got the patches (highly recommended) and did 7 weeks of them instead of usual 10. Stoppd using them and never looked back.

Its probably easier here in Scotland cause of the smoking ban nearly everywhere. Saying that i was off them for about 6 months before the ban came in.

Good luck in whatever you do but do try the patches, the chewing gum is minging.

the chewing gum is stinkin… i dont think it works either, cause after i have chewed it i could smoke a ■■■ very easily.

I went on a gov sponsored course, basic is you have to chat with them an the decide if you want a patch/gum or a tablet called “zyban”. i went for the tablet,one a day for 2 weeks then 2 aday until you run out.,u carry on smokin then one day i just stopped and that was 3 years ago from 50 aday to 0.it doesnt suit all people but worth a look.it is infact an antidepressant but works on the nicotine addiction whilst making u smile.dont want or miss a ■■■ now.

Gave up 7 years ago threw a packet of 18 plus lighter in the bin never had one since I Smoked 80 aday best thing i have ever done. Its all in the head . Went in to a smoke room in the first month when driving home wondered what the smell was and smelt my jacket smelled like an ashtray ,You get behind women in a supermarket and you can smell ■■■■ on their hair . never had the urge to start again PS had my first smoke at 7 years old was on 20 aday at 15.
Give up !!!

I stopped on 15/8/05 just over a year ago I used Zyban and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of quitting, I tried th gum,patches and inhalers over the past few years but found Zyban was the only one that really did help.

Whatever replacement you use will only help you it wont stop you you need to be wanting to stop for any of them to work.

Good luck whatever you do froma 2 stone heavier non smoking Jammy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Strangely enuf, i stopped the same time as jammy, but never knew until now !

I had tried the patches with little success, so decided to try the inhalers AND gum, both worked wonders for me. I quit the inhalers after 5 or 6 weeks & then slowly dropped off the gum a bit later. Cost more for the inhalers & gum than it did for ■■■■, but worth every penny.

Still not happy though, I should ahve quit wheni was 20, not 45 :cry:

i stopped in september 2000 when my younger of the two was born way i saw it i couldnt afford 3 barnsley lasses and smoking :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
not had one since

I’ve been trying to stop for a while. Stop/start; stop/start. Problem is ■■■■ are that cheap on ferries (Mayfair £1.50 for 20) and abroad that when I fuel up I automatically buy a pack, Got to smoke them then aint I? :unamused:

I used Zyban as well. It’s works well & takes all the cravings away…if you can sleep. I couldn’t sleep so I stopped taking it.

Still not smoked in 6 months now, but I miss them so much.

well iv now been of the ciggies two weeks, going out today on a stag do, so dont know how i will manage…

is that zyban not an anti depressant which is highly addictive.

penfold:
Problem is ■■■■ are that cheap on ferries (Mayfair £1.50 for 20) and abroad that when I fuel up I automatically buy a pack, Got to smoke them then aint I? :unamused:

nah, much better to flog them to some mug when you get home :wink:

oops, that might get you into trouble with HMRC :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

I packed up about 10 years ago.The large blood clotted loogie that I hacked up out of my lungs that morning was all the insperation needed to quit cold turkey…

Packed on a stone as a result and have never managed to loose it. :blush:

Found this ZYBAN INFO

northernirishinlpool:
well iv now been of the ciggies two weeks, going out today on a stag do, so dont know how i will manage…

is that zyban not an anti depressant which is highly addictive.

my doc said it wasn’t for the short period you take it for

I quit smoking in 1999. The problem that the health care profession doesn’t address is the mental addiction to smoking. I found that long after the nicotine left my system that I was still reaching for a cigarette.

Sheer tenacity is the only reason I remain a non-smoker. The benefits far outweigh the pleasure of smoking. (I still miss it, though I can’t stand the smell of cigarette smoke these days and it causes my sinuses to act up.)