Smoking

I’ve had enough of smoking now. I’m coughing constantly, my throat is always sore and I keep catching colds all the time. This has been going on for a good number of months now.

I’ve wanted to do it for a while now and just this minute I’ve finally had the real kick that I needed to just say no more!

I know by tomorrow morning I’ll probably feel VERY differently than I do right now but I’m determined to go all the way and finally stop for good.

I just washed out my ashtray and put a picture of my daughter in it to remind me every time I feel the urge.

Help and advice would be very welcome. Plus the methods you’ve used to stop.

Watch what you eat after you stop, I have been stopped for four and a half years now, stopped when the smoking ban came in. The problem for me is the wieght that I have put on, 3 stone heavyer now. Sat on my arse all day in a lorry eating sweets and choccies instead of smoking ■■■■.

Yeah I’ve always had that in the back of my head about the stereotypical weight gain associated with quitting.

I plan on taking a lot of healthier snacks to work with me. I.e. Fruits and things like carrot sticks etc.

LR18-8:
I’m coughing constantly, my throat is always sore and I keep catching colds all the time. This has been going on for a good number of months now. .

Do at next Pharmacy,if at tsco Pharmacy,asda or wherever a Diabetes Test.
Its free.

Best of luck with it mate. Don’t have just one drag ever, it’s fatal, that was my problem the other times I tried. I tried loads of times before I finally cracked it, but in the end the only way I could manage it was by stopping cold turkey, i tried patches and gum but when I started to cut that down I started craving again and ended up back on the ■■■■, starting with a silk cut here and there untill I ended up back where I started on 2 and a half pouches of Drum a week. But it happens in the end if you want it to.

I’ve stopped smoking for a good few weeks now. Went cold turkey and just stopped! Went from 30-40 a day to none. Had a couple on a Saturday night when I’ve been drinking but not felt the urge to start at work again. Way I’m looking at it is money. I’m saving myself a fortune! The other way to think of it is that your not quitting but your choosing to stop. Saying quitting puts a negative vibe on it. Your choosing to quit! Take it a day at a time to! Best of luck mate.

dukeofdirt:
Saying quitting puts a negative vibe on it. Your choosing to quit!

Agree.

Allen Carr Easyway book. The “Book Depository” do it for just over a fiver delivered. “Giving up” puts a negative vibe to it, there’s nothing to give-up. Grab a copy and read it, you should not want to smoke after reading about all the kidology that goes on in a smoker’s head. Don’t bother with Nicotine replacement therapies, you wouldn’t give an alkie drink or a junkie smack to give up.

Good luck. The biggest burden is not the nicotine withdrawl, it’s the fear and rubbish in your head.

Thanks for all the feedback! :smiley:

I suppose your right about the “giving up” mentality. I never thought about it like that before but from reading what you wrote and thinking about it I can see how it is a negative way of thinking.

Sounds to me like you are in the right frame of mind to do it, I was the same about 5 years ago. I just stopped and never looked back. The cravings are gone as quick as they come. Good luck

macplaxton:

dukeofdirt:
Saying quitting puts a negative vibe on it. Your choosing to quit!

Agree.

Allen Carr Easyway book. The “Book Depository” do it for just over a fiver delivered. “Giving up” puts a negative vibe to it, there’s nothing to give-up. Grab a copy and read it, you should not want to smoke after reading about all the kidology that goes on in a smoker’s head. Don’t bother with Nicotine replacement therapies, you wouldn’t give an alkie drink or a junkie smack to give up.

Good luck. The biggest burden is not the nicotine withdrawl, it’s the fear and rubbish in your head.

Its definitely a good book.

Over a month down the line now LR18 , dare I ask ? Jim

Unfortunately I lost the fight … I’m not smoking nearly as much as I was but I never got off them completely :frowning:

Bad luck its not easy , the less your smoking now the easier it will be when (if) you try again

It’s not easy. I gave up several times in the end the only way it worked for me was to give up a bit at a time. Stopped having one on the way to work and on the way home. Then stopped smoking during morning and afternoon breaks, I was working in a factory then. Then only smoked in the evening. Until I was down to one a day, the one after the evening meal, then that went, never smoked since. Though I am still tempted and that was thirty years since.
So don’t give up “giving up” believe me it’s worth it in the end. Good luck

Cheers for the input, cutting out the specific smokes has been working for me, i.e the one on the way to work etc that how i’ve cut down by about 10 to 13 a day so far.

I will keep chipping away at it :slight_smile:

I have stopped smoking … Again … I am using a vapour e cigarette , it’s working for me . At the moment I have a cherry flavour one on the go . There are thousands of flavours … Give them a go !

jimboy124:
I have stopped smoking … Again … I am using a vapour e cigarette , it’s working for me . At the moment I have a cherry flavour one on the go . There are thousands of flavours … Give them a go !

thats what i’m using at the moment, the cravings started to come back, so decided to get an e-cig instead. I mix my own flavours up though, currently toking on a mix of a tobacco flavour with a hint of redbull flavour (odd but strangely satisfying). If anyone wants to try one, i’d suggest getting one from Liberty Flights, if you put charliep in as a discount code then you get 15% off them too. I use an e-cig called e-go, purely as the batteries last a long time, recently i’ve started using a ‘dual coil tank’ which basically means i fill it up with the flavour/nicotine liquid at the beginning of the week and it will last the week before refilling.

Hi everyone im afraid i cheated i stopped smoking 16 days ago with Champix from the doctors. If you do want them make sure you talk through the side effects with yr doctor, there can be some wierd effects, Wierd dreams stomach cramps and head aches , I must be one of the lucky ones i havent had much in the way of side effects. Except the dream where im chasing the mother in law through York railway station with a calving knife. ( Not sure if thats a side effect or wishful thinking)…

I gave up long time ago now but went old turkey never had the craving just 1 sat night had last 1 but had no cash in house & couldnt be bothered to go to machine get money then go buy them

I have not put on the weight well maybe a pound or so but that about it feel much better for it