Stoneridge tachos are heaps of shite

But have you ever encountered this:

Day 1: driving a man with a stoneridge tacho

I start at 05.30 but this should be 04.30 with UTC time
I finish at 18.50 but this should be 17.50 with UTC time

Day 2: driving a daf with a lovely siemans tacho

I start at 04.00 but this should be 03.00 with UTC time
I finish at 15.15 but this should be 14.15 with UTC time.

But look at day 1 the tacho printout isnt in UTC time so it looks like i only had 8 hours rest when i did in fact have 9 hours rest. You can zoom in on this picture by double clicking it or such like, now how the hell do i explain this one? Although this is my first encounter with stoneridge which by the way is a pathetic excuse of a tacho compared to the siemans, i was under the assumption that all digital tachos remained on UTC time all the time?

i cant read that but if you put manual entries in
youd put first your finish time previous shift
which would be 17.59[18.59]
start would be 4.30[5.30
isnt that a rest period of 10 hrs 31 mins,as i say i cant read it,but if you put those times in as manual entries that what you get
this morn i put my manual enties in
finished 16.15 [so put finish time as 15.15]
start 4.00 [so put start time of 3 .00
ive been using them for years and not had a problem,i do manual entries every day and only had one infringment in las 2 yrs,

I don’t much like Stonridge digital tachographs but I do have a problem with your criticism of them in this thread :open_mouth:

If the times you say you started and finished on day 1 are the real times you started and finished and I’m not suggesting they’re not, why did you not defect the vehicle and refuse to drive it as you should have done, if the tachograph is 1 hour out surely there’s no way you should have been driving it to anywhere other than the tachograph centre to get the thing fixed.

By the way all digital tachograph work on UTC time, it’s the law :wink:

edit: Here’s a blow-up of the image, click on it to enlarge the image.

tacho i know where you are coming from but it was my first time on stoneridge i thought the display was set to local it wasn’t till i took the printout i seen the problem with the UTC time.

Gonnae be a sticky one to explain if i ever get stopped

merc0447:
tacho i know where you are coming from but it was my first time on stoneridge i thought the display was set to local it wasn’t till i took the printout i seen the problem with the UTC time.

Gonnae be a sticky one to explain if i ever get stopped

Fare enough they can be difficult to understand the first time you use one, far more complex than the Siemens imo.

I suggest you mark on your printout that the tachograph was an hour out and you didn’t notice because it’s the first time you’ve used a Stonridge and found it confusing blah blah blah.

I’m not saying it will keep you out of trouble but it should at least help.

If you always work for the same company you should report the defect and make a note on your printout to that effect to cover your own ■■■.

If you don’t always drive for the same company report it anyway and make a note on the printout to that effect :wink:

Good luck :wink:

my stoneridge tacho is usless aswell
After i have driven for a certain time the DRIVING time on the display is different to the DRIVING time on the printout and the card download sometimes as much as 10 minutes so i have to stop on 4hrs 15 on the display so i dont go over and get infringments defected on a weekly basis and am told it is ok as all the vehicles in our yard do it anybody else have this problem easyer to notice on the first 4 1/2.

Never heard of that make, are they only fitted to certain marks of truck ?

truckyboy:
Never heard of that make, are they only fitted to certain marks of truck ?

If you’re referring to fizza calling it a Stonebridge I think it was a typo :wink:

something that looks wrong on the first printout as well, you haven’t put it on to break/rest as the printout questions 18.55 to 00.00 and the last entry was other work?
maybe i’m just reading it wrong though but looks like you haven’t had any rest that night let alone 8 hours?

http://www.drivers-cpc.co.uk/FreeTachographSimulator.htm
It might help in the future :wink:

welshboyinspain:
something that looks wrong on the first printout as well, you haven’t put it on to break/rest as the printout questions 18.55 to 00.00 and the last entry was other work?
maybe i’m just reading it wrong though but looks like you haven’t had any rest that night let alone 8 hours?

Nothing wrong with that, you don’t have to put it on rest before ejecting it. In fact it’s better not to as very few drivers who are leaving the vehicle are going straight onto rest, they still have to hand in keys, paperwork and so on. The printout will question 18:55 - 00:00, and the next days from 00:00 - 03:00 as the card was not in the VU so it has no idea what you were doing. Any day I am not staying in the vehicle for my rest periods my records will show ending and beginning on Other Work and question marks for the time the card is out of the VU. That’s normal and legal.

This is a recent printout of mine showing the same thing.

on that example though neil you’ve got nothing after 23.30 so it looks like you stopped driving and ejected the card at the same time? shouldn’t there be something after driving, even a minute of other work?
i just thought if you book off or eject and its not on rest then it meant that you haven’t started the rest period, so in the OP’s case he might have done another half hour of other work before starting his rest period because there’s nothing to show otherwise

Well along side my explanation on the back of the printout, i took photocopies of my 2 run sheets, a photocopy of the defect i put in and a printout of TMS which is our clock in/out system.

If they want anymore they can look at other drivers printouts as i wasn’t the the first to use but i was the only one that picked up on it :imp:

What id like to know is how the hell it happened? You cant change the UTC time on the headunit, well you can but only a minute or something per week.

So either this has been done at a workshop or the tacho is indeed faulty.

The truck has been sent back to fraiken, it was a pile of ■■■■■■ What serioulsy ■■■■■■ me off is 5 other core drivers had this before i set about it wae a defect book. It wasn’t just the tacho it was numerous things.

Had the transport coordinator ■■■■■■■ to me about it, now we have no rigid for the small drops so ive offered to do them in a artic. I will quite happily take a artic into the bowls of hell than drive another vechile from fraiken again.

welshboyinspain:
on that example though neil you’ve got nothing after 23.30 so it looks like you stopped driving and ejected the card at the same time? shouldn’t there be something after driving, even a minute of other work?

There is 15 minutes of other work from 23:30 - 23:45, I made it as a manual entry at the start of my next shift so it doesn’t show on that printout. I always make a manual entry at the start of each shift to cover the end of the previous shift and the start of this one, you can see it on this printout at the top of the slip, 12:00 - 12:33 other work… It was a rigid so all I had to do was park it and I was done with it so I ejected the card. I then locked the yard gates and went across the road to the other yard and went into the office, handed keys in and downloaded my card before heading home, that’s the 15 minutes.

You can see I did ‘book off’ on that printout as it has a finish mileage and the end country just above were it breaks down the various modes.

Way back when digi’s first came out I was one of two drivers in our yard with a tacho. They hired a new truck with a digi so I had to drive it although I had little or no idea how to operate the thing.

The work is pretty straightforward with ten hour days and plenty of time for breaks, and it was was six months before I discovered that the time in the unit was set at one hour ahead of BST instead of an hour behind. When I defected it on the next service they didn’t fix it because they just assumed I didn’t understand that it used UTC.