How can analoge tachos be so bad?

Got a call today saying I had a tacho infringment.

When I went in to see what it was all about it was nothing really. I had broken company policy by not marking on the back the end and start times. When asked why I thought they would ask me to do that I had no idea.

I was shocked when 5 tachos all lined up using the pear shape hole showed different times at the top! I seen anything from 5 to 30 minutes inaccuracy!

How the hell can we get done for infringments when the bloody discs aren’t even printed properly. Just imagine I had to reduce to 9hr and because of the inaccurate tachos it turned out to say 8:30 rest.

Shocked…

The inaccuracies on the tachos steveo are to do with the print codes an the back off the charts. When using tachos you must ensure that the print codes are compatible with the tachograph machine that is fitted to the vehicle. Not many people know about this though.

I think what steve-o is getting at is the same problem I had when our firm had a check by the ministry, I was showing insurficiant rest on a 9hr rest period and it came down to the holes cut in the charts and these charts where out of the same box, I would have thought same box that they would all match up but no. Have a look get a few charts out of a box line up the hole then bend edge of card over to see the differance in them.

just had a look at the spares i have and across all of them there is about a 15 minute spread.

Or if he was using different vehicles, or hire vehicles was he checking to make sure that his start time lined up with the notch at the top of the clock. Been caught out like this myself, if vehicle has been in for service and battery disconnected and clock not reset.