Stobart Teesport Assessment - Updated

Pete the post:
That’s a bit harsh, you don’t need power to tug, low gear and a few revs and if it don’t split and the dog clip goes in then no probs :confused: More power equals more stress on the clutch and drive axle :confused:

As for trailer height couldn’t the ASSessor have not just guided you in the correct procedure :imp:
Jobsworths

The thing you have to do when you go for assessments is show the assessors what they want to see. Some are more pedantic than others who will cut you some slack as they understand drivers can be nervous in this situation. I would suggest to others going for an assessment to make sure you give a good tug which clearly demonstrates that the fifth wheels jaws are locked on the pin.
As for the trailer height issue, the lad was advised on that. As for future assessments perhaps Mr Martyn and others might consider making a check list to take with them. I don’t know how assessors would react to that. No doubt one or two of the more ■■■■ ones would conjure up some objection but I can’t see why it should be frowned upon. Commiserations Mr.Martyn but look on the bright side. You can still show your face on here!

MrMartyn1984:
Gutted.

Failed assessment as when I done my 2 tugs even though I felt the unit pull, apparently I should of had more power on :frowning:

Also forgot to check trailer height, which is fair enough :frowning:

Sorry about that Martin! I’m amazed really! They failed you for not “Tugging” hard enough!
Stobbies coupling procedure is! Lower suspension, back under trailer brake on! get out of cab with keys in hand and check the fifth wheel height to the underside of trailer, back in cab back under and raise the suspension to lift the legs off the ground and lock onto the pin. Brake on and keys in hand,place dogclip through the hole on the locking arm! Then back in the cab to do TWO test pulls,then normal procedure for the rest! It seems the assessor has been a bit harsh! considering they get you to sign off the above on the Dcpc course! :unamused:

Perhaps you should reapply for the job? I am in the enviable position that I know nearly nothing about ESL but if you were keen enough to apply twice at our place I’m sure you would get a chance.

The thing is though, if they are happy to treat you so badly during an assesment, what are they like to work for?

AlexWignall:
Perhaps you should reapply for the job? I am in the enviable position that I know nearly nothing about ESL but if you were keen enough to apply twice at our place I’m sure you would get a chance.

The thing is though, if they are happy to treat you so badly during an assesment, what are they like to work for?

Alex! It’s like what Silver said above! Stobarts are on the Telly and there are loads of drivers looking for work! They are being very choosy at the moment! All shift work aswell!! :unamused:
Reapply is a good idea! It takes them a while to get in touch anyway! :wink:

Stobart assessors are full of it, as conor would say, I was failed for not turning the collar on the air line a 1/4 of an inch, thus it was in “a dangerous condition” when I had the gall to question this, I was sent a letter telling me never to apply for a job again with ES, the assessors at Goole where I went are particularly stupid I understand.

I was forewarned about one assessor I had to go out with. I was told his favourite things were to ask you what was the last road sign you passed? What vehicle is behind you now? And if you passed under a bridge, what was the height? On the day I went out with him he took a phone call that kept him pre-occupied for most of the drive, very professional! :laughing:
Most of the assessors I’ve had have been decent fellas just making sure you’re not dangerous, just the odd one gets a bit pedantic.

dessy:

MrMartyn1984:
Gutted.

Failed assessment as when I done my 2 tugs even though I felt the unit pull, apparently I should of had more power on :frowning:

Also forgot to check trailer height, which is fair enough :frowning:

Sorry about that Martin! I’m amazed really! They failed you for not “Tugging” hard enough!
Stobbies coupling procedure is! Lower suspension, back under trailer brake on! get out of cab with keys in hand and check the fifth wheel height to the underside of trailer, back in cab back under and raise the suspension to lift the legs off the ground and lock onto the pin. Brake on and keys in hand,place dogclip through the hole on the locking arm! Then back in the cab to do TWO test pulls,then normal procedure for the rest! It seems the assessor has been a bit harsh! considering they get you to sign off the above on the Dcpc course! :unamused:

So once that handle goes in and the jaws lock and you put that dog clip in, is there still a chance the trailer could come away from the unit if the tug tests aren’t sufficient?

Also an additional question. When lowering the air suspension and go under trailer do you wait for fifth wheel to be under trailer before lifting the suspension? Lift until the trailers legs are off the floor and then reverse to pin?

With regard to my comment above about the tugs and the trailer coming away, that’s basically what the bloke was saying could happen!■■

I’ve been offered an assessment/interview at Stobarts at Teesport next week.

so are stobarts based over in teesport then :question: i thought it was tesco’s with stobart doing the transport didnt think it was a stobart depot, its only 10 mins away from me, i might get in touch with them see about a job

“So once that handle goes in and the jaws lock and you put that dog clip in, is there still a chance the trailer could come away from the unit if the tug tests aren’t sufficient?”

The answer is definitely YES. I have seen this at Blakes and at Salvesson in Worcester.

What CAN happen is that the pin drops into the hollow above the locking pin on the 5th wheel - this can trigger the locking bar to “clang” shut. A small tug won’t dislodge a heavy traiuler and the dog clip goes in normally. The first time you put a strain on it - probably at the first sharp bend - off it comes.

1. ALWAYS give it a “good” tug - not enough to spin the wheels but enough to test it.
  2. ALWAYS look to see if the plate on the trailer is in physical contact with the 5th wheel - at night use a torch.

best of luck on the next assesment.

Its funny how life goes…after 15 years on the road im now starting to look for “boring” office work. This job is fast going down the pan.

Hopefully next time you will get a better assesor mate!!

I think any assessment drive has to be done more like the initial driving test, make sure the assessor sees you doing things and explain why you did them, it shows understanding of what you are looking for when coupling, reversing or walking round. Of course non of us drive like that, but then again none of us drive like we did on test, do we?

I think if the tug test was your only fail, he was very harsh, but then again if I was assessing someone and the front wheels nearly came off the floor, you would probably fail with me.

I did the Stobart assessment and was told I did well, but failed at the interview when I slagged Tesco and Scanias off :stuck_out_tongue: Although we did have a good chat about motorcycle racing and even Edward Stobart

This job is fast going down the pan

how do you mean?

jayuk22:

This job is fast going down the pan

how do you mean?

Ok where do I start…

Influx of East Europeans bringing the wages down (And I dont blame our East Euro friends)
DCPC… this is the BIGGEST travesty to hit us.

VOSA and their ability to on the spot fine. ( A collegue of mine was fined £60 last week because his axle weight was over. He works on bulk loads and his weight was 44000 dead on but over on an axle…how the hell do you check axle weight on bulk and how the hell can you adjust it!!!)

The rapidley dissapering of the small family hauliers where you as a driver were treated with respect. Now you are a number with the big firms.

Joe public hates us and makes life both dificult and DANGEROUS on the roads.

There are more but frankley I cant be bothered to type anymore, instead im gunna apply for open university to spend my money on a qualification that is respected.

Ohh by the way I aint knocking anybody wanting to do this job…good luck to them and I hope they find a good employer etc etc.

thats good to know, ive got my c+e training booked in for 2 weeks time :unamused: … i was thinking its not bad money if you dont mind being away from home and just getting on with the job in hand, didn’t think it was as bad as that

jayuk22:
thats good to know, ive got my c+e training booked in for 2 weeks time :unamused: … i was thinking its not bad money if you dont mind being away from home and just getting on with the job in hand, didn’t think it was as bad as that

Good luck fella…doing my class 1 paid itself within the 1st month

Its just that im 40 this year and Im away all week, I come home fridays. I havent seen my kids grow up and I havent been there for them when they needed me. My mortgage will soon be paid up so when this DCPC bollox starts ill be off the road and doing the “boring” office work :grimacing:

I’m sitting in an office now mate, been given a load of spreadsheets to look at, go into a system, type some numbers, make sure the details on the spreadsheet are right and then onto the next one……

Do that for a couple of days, you’ll see why it’s so boring, the day totally drags, I get paid £14,000 a year, have to click a button when I go for a p1ss, they expect you to be “ready to start work” at your start time, so that’s have you logged in, all stuff loaded up before you even get paid!? Stuff that (I refuse to do it). You take 30 seconds too long for a break and a big red bar pops up on a managers computer and then they ask you where you’ve been when you return? I’m not kidding!

That’s only some of the pathetic, small minded crap that goes on in here.

I understand you wanting to be home more and missing out on your kids, definitely. That’s my thing, I want to drive but still get home each day, even if I only see them (my kids) for an hour a day until my days off.

You may have trackers and stuff on a truck, but once your on the road, it’s all up to you, you can’t help traffic, you can listen to music or drive in peace, stop for your breaks where you like, enjoy seeing/driving in some sun (when it’s actually out), get fresh air, it all seems to be there. I read plenty on here of people complaining about driving, maybe it’s the same the other way around, I sit here and plenty complain about this job and want out too.

And for no matter what money, never take a call centre job mate, they’ll grind you down… badly, or you’ll end up sacked depending on how well you take abuse over the phone.

MrMartyn!! You’ll double your annual salary no problem! Even at Stobart for 50 hours a week!
Keep plugging away! You will get a start soon enough! :wink:

MrMartyn1984:
And for no matter what money, never take a call centre job mate, they’ll grind you down… badly, or you’ll end up sacked depending on how well you take abuse over the phone.

Yes but you can practice false Indian or Pakistani voices while using an English name :stuck_out_tongue:

What language do they speak when a real Indian rings up?