Stick with Class 2 or go for 1?

I, along with many others am in the hole that is “new driver looking for work!!” I’ve had my Class 2 now for just over a month, and finding it nigh on impossible to get any work. Personally I don’t think it’s fully down to being new, but just that there is little work available!

I know this topic is a bit of a broken record, but what i’m thinking is to carry on hounding companies/agencies for class 2 work for another couple of months, and then if no luck, put in for my Class 1.

My question is…does this make you more desireable to employers for class 2 work? My thoughts are, that it can’t hurt, and, there are lots more jobs that you can then apply for so increasing your chances! The cost of the training doesn’t concern me too much because i’m going to have to do it at some point.

Any thoughts?

With the downturn in agency work lately it probably won’t make any difference, on the other hand though if you can afford to do it then why not, things will pick up eventually and with class 1 there will be more to choose from.

In my opinion,by having class 1 u then have more options on the job hunting front!!!

i think jacks right you know. if you do do it then it will look better on your CV/licence when going for a class 2 job. if you find a company that runs both 2 & 1 then if they have a choice of taking on a class 2 driver or a class 1 driver willing to work on the class 2’s for a while and be there as a cover for other drivers then all the better.

if you have the money then do it. the economy wont be like this forever and when it does boom again and there are loads of jobs going on class 1 and you are sat there with youre class 2 licence you will regret you didnt do it.

thats my opinion anyway.

good luck whatever you decide

Can you afford to spend the money and possibly have no benefit from it for months or mabe a year or so - if yes, go for it - you have no experience on C yet and that may be another consideration.

Go out onto the motorways and count how many Artics you see compard to rigids and draw your own conclusions.It’s mostly artics that you will see.

The trouble is no-one is who will employ you as a class 1 driver when you havn’t even driven class 2? You’ll probably not get any class 1 work until you’ve held the license for 2 years so the insurance will cover you.

JeffA:
The trouble is no-one is who will employ you as a class 1 driver when you havn’t even driven class 2? You’ll probably not get any class 1 work until you’ve held the license for 2 years so the insurance will cover you.

Perhaps I was very lucky then, I started straight away on Class 1 (after 2 weeks training with a regular - always grateful to Paul Derham @VMT). There are firms out there who will give “newbies” a chance, but the problem at the moment is that we are at the start of a recession and supply is outstripping demand, so you will have to be patient and keep pushing.

But as others have said, if you can afford it go for your Class 1 because it will more marketable when things do pick up.

As a relief driver for several months, I drove everything Toplines/Globetrotters/Spacecabs - 6wheelers/4wheelers and even an Iveco Daily van :blush:

Good luck!

If you can afford it !!! then go for it,

i found through agencys i got offerd more work on class 2 while carrying my class 1,

i took it, they obivously thought ,i had class 1 then i was a trusty class 2…

And take it from there…

Good luck :wink:

As above, i say IF you can afford it go for it. I’m considering the same thing.