Dilema

Hello guys, I would like to hear what some of you think about this situation.

I’m a class 2 driver working full time at the moment and I have my class 1 booked for the end of this month.

The company i work for has some class 1 but it is already full. I went to talk to my manager about any position they may have and I got told that they already have someone through that will be taking the position available. I asked if I could be able to get some driving and the chances are not very big.

So, I wanted to get a little bit of experience at my current place, get a bit of confidence before going for a new job as the wages of class 1 drivers are not good and not much different from what I am now as class 2.

So now I am stuck, there’s no point hanging around if I don’t be getting any driving on the artics.

I am not a big fan of agency work, plus I can’t fwt any less than what i am getting now. I do know they get busy at this time til xmas.

Should I just leave and get as much experience and money with the agencies as soon as I pass and hope I will manage something permanent after it dries up?

I mean, the other option I don’t know if is really a option, no point hanging here til February.

I don’t think Midlands is too bad to get work even without experience.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

It was in the same situation and felt I couldn’t get enough drive time on the artic so I left and got a new class 1 job, never looked back really as just wanted to get on with the job once I passed …

Be very careful leaving permanent employment for agency. Its not an advised path to take.
I did because, and im a walking cliche on this one, I need the flexability that FTE doesnt offer but I have a secondry income to see me through if the shifts dry up.
The agency im with just now has more shifts than I could want but I think I got lucky hearing other horror stories of 2 day weeks from other drivers with their agencies.
Certainly with 7.5T work I got one shift a week. Never tried agency with class 2 but with class 1 Im getting all the shifts I want.
Its also worth noting that lots of agencies wont take you on with no experience. Most of their clients want a driver to hit the ground running. Certainly its possible but if they only have say 2 clients who will take an inexperienced new pass driver then the shifts are going to be sparse.
Might be better to hang onto the class 2 gig and scout around for a permanent class 1 full time job. I waited 18 months after passing before getting behind the wheel of an artic