the future

Currently doing class 2 but want to move to Class 1.

which option would you guys recomend.

Pay for class 1 myself and try and find work as a newbie (Had class 2 for about 8 months)

or

Go work for someone with both class 2 and 1 wagons locally (Someone like Widdowsons) and get them to put me through class 1 and work for them for a few years?

Done agency work and want to try and avoid that if possible

Go straight to class 1. Theres more work for class 1 drivers than class 2.
good luck.

I would and did get class1. it gives more scope when looking for work.

Go work for someone with both class 2 and 1 wagons locally (Someone like Widdowsons) and get them to put me through class 1 and work for them for a few years?

The above option - well established company, permanent position, expanding company, free upgrade training, in-house training, wages average but with good O/T, Legal and driver friendly (info from a few that work there)… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Get your class 1. As Knight said there’s more scope. Also if you were Widdowson who would you take on - somebody with class 2 experience but no class 1, or somebody with class 2 experience with a class 1?

Personally, the route I took was to pay for my own class 1 training.

Did the sums and worked out it would pay for itself within six weeks on the increased pay you would get with class 1 work.

And then you’re not tied to the company for x amount of years if it doesn’t work out.

Paid for mine myself but kept with the same company I was driving my class 2 with and they put me straight into class 1 tramping, I got free experience and I owe them nothing. Best thing I ever did as said it paid for itself in about 6 weeks with wage increase, go for it…

Thanks guys, some food for thought. However, the sticking point for me is how do i find work as a newbie on class 1 without resorting to agencies.

Where did you get your jobs from?

yellow pages,start at a,and work youre way thru the list.if youre available straight off,theres a good chance youll get a chance somewhere?

Saw the title and thought this was about Garlic bread.

recession looming go to Widdows
save for test or go halves with company :laughing:

jammymutt:
Saw the title and thought this was about Garlic bread.

:laughing: :laughing: Someone else who likes Peter Kay!!!

I’ve been on Class 2 tipping work (8 wheelers) for the last 5 and a half years, I was going to do my Class 1 shortly after, but never needed to for my job.

I’ve been thinking about doing it for a long time but am unsure how easy it’d be to get a Class 1 job with no experience…i’m taking it my Class 2 experience would count for something??

Just didn’t want to go and spend the best part of a grand and not be able to find work afterwards…

jybson:
Thanks guys, some food for thought. However, the sticking point for me is how do i find work as a newbie on class 1 without resorting to agencies.

Where did you get your jobs from?

Make your first port of call the big firms. Don’t know whats down your neck of the woods, but do a bit of research and find out where the depots are of say DHL, Wincanton, Stobarts, TDG, etc.

Also try supermarkets. You may not get the best work to start with, but at the bottom of the ladder, the only way is up!!