steering wheel

used another drivers truck wednesday for the day, had a lovely tip at some airfield near guildford where they film top gear when told id have about a 2 hour wait thought great id watch Clarkson in the Lambo his was testing the mans totally mad,anyway what i wanted to know any of you use those balls on your wheel 1st time in 20 years driving for me on wed. there great on a FLT but an artic… is it me?

malcolmj:
had a lovely tip at some airfield near guildford where they film top gear

Dunsfold, good there isn’t it? Which way did you go in? The ‘normal’ way or the fun way down the road marked as “Unsuitable for HGV’s”

malcolmj:
what i wanted to know any of you use those balls on your wheel 1st time in 20 years driving for me on wed. there great on a FLT but an artic… is it me?

No, me as well. can’t stand the bloody things.

Dunsfold, good there isn’t it? Which way did you go in? The ‘normal’ way or the fun way down the road marked as "Unsuitable for HGV’s

i went in the fun way :open_mouth: there’s a normal way :question:

malcolmj:

Dunsfold, good there isn’t it? Which way did you go in? The ‘normal’ way or the fun way down the road marked as "Unsuitable for HGV’s

i went in the fun way :open_mouth: there’s a normal way :question:

Yep, past the road marked as unsuitable and do a right at a funny shaped junction. Follow that up until the road bears to the left and take a small road to the right, on the apex of the bend, with a pub on the corner and there is a security gate ahead of you.

I will not allow them to be fitted in my trucks. At best, they ruin the steering wheel and at worst they are plain dangerous.

They are also illegal unless used for special purposes i.e. if you are disabled “i think”

i hate noddy wheels
you know when someone has one the way they weave down the road

“Suicide Knob” :smiley:

Used a truck with one fitted once. Had to srewdriver it off ,and put it back on after my shift.

They had 1 on the Kerbsider i was driving on the Bins, useless thing, but cant NOT use it when its there, you have to actually remove the ■■■■ thing if you dont want to use it. I dont find them any help at all

Steve

If you have a front wheel blow-out they can whip round & break your thumb.

I hate em too, too much ■■■■ play in em, had 1 on a truck monday.
I also agree they can break your hand/thumb if someting goes wrong

They’re invaluable for those of us who have periodic problems with grip and strength etc. though…I’ve never used one for any length of time (except on fork trucks) but would love to get my hands on one of the snap-on snap-off types for bad days only - Does anyone know if they’re still made and if so, by who? I mean the ones which don’t need a screwdriver.

Lucy:
but would love to get my hands on one of the snap-on snap-off types for bad days only -

I don’t use one personally but I’m sure I have seen some which click away inwards when not needed. It was a while ago in some truckstop but I can’t remember which one.