Spreadover times

Apologies if this is going over old ground, but slight confusion.
If I’ve completed three 15 hour shifts with 9 hr rest, can I then do 15 hr again with 11hr rest or is max now 13 hr +11 rest.
thanks in advance

it’s 13 hours duty & 11 hours rest after three 15s

you can’t do a 15 and a 11 because that adds up to more than 24 hours :wink:

you can if youve had 3 hours break or 4 hours break :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

or even 3.5 hours break :laughing: :laughing:

The way to think about it is, instead of thinking about the number of hours worked and then what break to take is…

To remember that ANY 24 hour period commences when you start work. Regardless of how many hours worked (within the limits) an appropriate rest period must be taken within those same 24 hours.

Similarly, on a short working day, 8 or 10 hours for instance, once a Rest Period has been taken, whether 9 or 11 hours (as appropriate), then the clock resets to zero, and a new 24 hour period can commence.

It’s mainly a matter of adjusting one’s way of thinking as to when a day actually commences.

Also relevant is when the week commences. Reduced Rest could be taken Fri, Sat, Sun, of one week, followed by Mon, Tue, Wed, of the following week.

Laws are written in black and white but operate in shades of grey. :wink:

alix776:
you can if youve had 3 hours break or 4 hours break :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

or even 3.5 hours break :laughing: :laughing:

I have been told that it is 4 hours only to do a 16hr spread
3+1+8 or 2+2+8 no part hours or 3+9 to do a 15 hr

bikemonkey:
I have been told that it is 4 hours only to do a 16hr spread
3+1+8 or 2+2+8 no part hours or 3+9 to do a 15 hr

You have been given false information. Yes to do a 16 ‘spreadover’ you need to have 4 hours of rest to go with the 8. However those 4 hours can be made up of one period, or of any combination of two periods, as long as they are not less than 1 hour. So 1.5 hours and 2.5 hours would count as would 1 hour 17 minutes and 2 hours 43 minutes for example.

The three hours of rest to go with a nine hour rest can also be any combination of one or two periods, again as long as the minimum is 1 hour.

This LINK from the VOSA site gives a couple of examples of split rest and the second example uses part hours.

:open_mouth: my god that all looked very confusing 2 me, do you pick all this up as you go along? :confused:

wills:
:shock: my god that all looked very confusing 2 me, do you pick all this up as you go along? :confused:

yes, but still get confused :laughing:

theres only one way to avoid confusion

never work more than 13 hrs never have less than 11 off

but then that would take the fun out of the job