15 hours working

Hi all. Are you legally capable of doing 15 hourly spread overs,if you do the continous 3hour rest or split 3hours rest then 9 hours rest for the week. Ie 5days.thanks

That’s one for Snarley to answer… :smiley:

example

start at 06:00

take a 3 hour break at 12:00

resume work at 15:00

finish work at 21:00

take 9 hour daily rest

you can do this 6 times per week if you have the weekly rest periods available

these will count as split shifts, NOT reduced rest periods

so, to answer your original question, YES :wink:

the main thing to remember is, the 3 hour break MUST BE CONTINUOUS, and not split in to smaller breaks i.e. 3 x 1 hour breaks

gazmac:
Hi all. Are you legally capable of doing 15 hourly spread overs,if you do the continous 3hour rest or split 3hours rest then 9 hours rest for the week. Ie 5days.thanks

You can legally do that for 6 days one week and 5 days the next - that would be a full unbroken 3 hours of rest during the 15 hour shift followed by a full unbroken 9 hours of rest

ROG:

gazmac:

You can legally do that for 6 days one week and 5 days the next - that would be a full unbroken 3 hours of rest during the 15 hour shift followed by a full unbroken 9 hours of rest

If you had a full 45 after day 6, can you do another 6 shifts?

Happy days if you are hourly paid. :smiley:

Some more info :smiley:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91078

Not that it’s really needed as your question has been answered :smiley:

weeto:

YES … as long as … see below

The maximum time allowed between weekly rests is 144 hours

There must be a weekly rest IN and COUNTED for each fixed week

A weekly rest can only be COUNTED once

IN means it must be at least 1 minute in the fixed week

The fixed week is sunday midnight to sunday midnight

ROG:

weeto:

YES … as long as … see below

The maximum time allowed between weekly rests is 144 hours

There must be a weekly rest IN and COUNTED for each fixed week

A weekly rest can only be COUNTED once

IN means it must be at least 1 minute in the fixed week

The fixed week is sunday midnight to sunday midnight

So you would be ok doing 6 shifts a week all the time as long as you had 45 hrs off?

weeto:
So you would be ok doing 6 shifts a week all the time as long as you had 45 hrs off?

Not possible to do all the time… you would get to a point where no weekly rest could be in and counted for the fixed week

EXAMPLE - starting after a full weekly rest which was counted for the previous week which we will call week 1 and all are day shifts from 0600 to 1800 for simplicity
sun to fri work with sat off = reduced weekly rest of 35 hours counted for week 2
sun to fri work with sat & sun off = full weekly rest of 55 hours counted for week 3
mon to sat work with sun off = reduced weekly rest of 35 hours counted for week 4
mon to sat work with sun & mon off = full weekly rest of 55 hours counted for week 5
tue to sun work with mon off = reduced weekly rest of 35 hours counted for week 6
tue to sun work with mon & tue off = full weekly rest of 55 hours counted for week 7
wed to mon work = OOPS !! no weekly rest can be fitted in week 8 because the start of week 8 (mon & tue) was the weekly rest for week 7 and we needed to start the weekly rest for week 8 before sunday midnight

I know its a bit long but I hope it helps

many thanks for all your replys…much appreciated :smiley: :smiley:

no
i get too knackered
:frowning:

Why wouldn’t anyone want to work 15hrs? you get to work twice as long for the same wage as folks doing 9-5!

chester:
Why wouldn’t anyone want to work 15hrs? you get to work twice as long for the same wage as folks doing 9-5!

what about 13 hour spreadovers? :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :unamused: :grimacing:

ROG:

weeto:

Not possible to do all the time… you would get to a point where no weekly rest could be in and counted for the fixed week

Yes it is. As long as you have 45h off you can do 6 shifts every week.

For example if you finish your Saturday shift at 12h00 and then don’t start until 09h00 on the Monday you have still had your 45h off so it would be perfectly legal to do that every week.

Of course you still have to watch your 90h fortnightly driving and your WTD hours which (depending on what kind of work you’re on) might become an issue if you do 6 days every week.

Paul

repton:

ROG:

weeto:

For example if you finish your Saturday shift at 12h00 and then don’t start until 09h00 on the Monday you have still had your 45h off so it would be perfectly legal to do that every week.

Of course you still have to watch your 90h fortnightly driving and your WTD hours which (depending on what kind of work you’re on) might become an issue if you do 6 days every week.

Paul

When I said what I did it was for 6 normal length shifts each week

shuttlespanker:
example

start at 06:00

take a 3 hour break at 12:00

resume work at 15:00

finish work at 21:00

take 9 hour daily rest

you can do this 6 times per week if you have the weekly rest periods available

these will count as split shifts, NOT reduced rest periods

so, to answer your original question, YES :wink:

the main thing to remember is, the 3 hour break MUST BE CONTINUOUS, and not split in to smaller breaks i.e. 3 x 1 hour breaks

You mean rest not break spanky :wink:

Also remember OP, a rest and a break are seperate things, so if you’re up on your 4.5 hrs, and have a 3hr rest (to work as split rest) you should also then have another 45 min break … in the rules at least :wink:

A break can be taken when you’re not involved in driving or any form of other work, no matter where you are.
A rest, you must be free to dispose of your time as you see fit :unamused:

For the split daily rest, you must have a minimum 3hr unbroken REST and a 9hr unbroken REST. … again, by the rules, but most people work it to suit themselves, so if you’re hourly paid, that 3hr is both rest and break and nobody knows any different :grimacing:

ROG:

repton:

ROG:

weeto:

When I said what I did it was for 6 normal length shifts each week

Yes but the question asked stated that he was doing 6 shifts and getting a 45h weekly rest in each week, and so the answer to that question is “yes you can do that continuously without any problem”.

The question asked implied that they weren’t all full length shifts or you wouldn’t be able to do 6 of them and get 45h off so you weren’t actually answering the question that had been asked.

Paul

The shift lengths being referred to were 15 hour shifts in the first posts then further on it was asked if 6 could be done every week

My example gave 6 shifts of 12 hours but they could easily be 15s using the split daily rest

Now ask yourself ‘why physically do it’? - Bugger weather it’s legal or not. :smiling_imp: