15 hours working

repton:

ROG:

weeto:
So you would be ok doing 6 shifts a week all the time as long as you had 45 hrs off?

Not possible to do all the time… you would get to a point where no weekly rest could be in and counted for the fixed week

Yes it is. As long as you have 45h off you can do 6 shifts every week.

For example if you finish your Saturday shift at 12h00 and then don’t start until 09h00 on the Monday you have still had your 45h off so it would be perfectly legal to do that every week.

Of course you still have to watch your 90h fortnightly driving and your WTD hours which (depending on what kind of work you’re on) might become an issue if you do 6 days every week.

Paul

This ↑↑↑

No mention was made of shift lengths, so the answer is obviously that it’s perfectly legal to do 6 shifts every week as long as you have a 45 hour weekly rest period every week.

In fact if the start and finish times could be varied it’s probably possible to do 6 shifts every week and have the occasional reduced weekly rest period, I can’t say for sure because I don’t have the time to work it out for a hypothetical question, but I’m pretty sure it could be done.

weeto:

ROG:

gazmac:
Hi all. Are you legally capable of doing 15 hourly spread overs,if you do the continous 3hour rest or split 3hours rest then 9 hours rest for the week. Ie 5days.thanks

You can legally do that for 6 days one week and 5 days the next - that would be a full unbroken 3 hours of rest during the 15 hour shift followed by a full unbroken 9 hours of rest

If you had a full 45 after day 6, can you do another 6 shifts?

Excuse me but this is what was being answered

ROG:

weeto:
If you had a full 45 after day 6, can you do another 6 shifts?

Excuse me but this is what was being answered

That explains my confusion then, as you had quoted one post whilst answering another…

Paul

tachograph:
In fact if the start and finish times could be varied it’s probably possible to do 6 shifts every week and have the occasional reduced weekly rest period, I can’t say for sure because I don’t have the time to work it out for a hypothetical question, but I’m pretty sure it could be done.

The timings are quite simple really, I had a chap asking me about this only last week. He works as a tyre fitter and drives a 7.5t truck as part of the job. He works every Saturday morning finishing at noon, and asked me what he needed to do to stay legal as far as weekly rests are concerned. His normal Monday start time is 0700 which from noon on Saturday is only 43 hours which is obviously 2h short of a full weekly rest. So the simple solution is that every other Monday he starts at 0900 instead of 0700 and problem solved. 6 shifts every week and perfectly legal. The 2h compensation he needs after each reduced weekly rest is immediately paid back as he has 14h off every night (1700 finish to 0700 start) so there’s nothing to worry about there either.

Paul

There were a few posts with questions relating to the same sort of thing

TBH it would be ok to do more than 6 shifts every week but it would depend on the length of the shifts