speed limits

:sunglasses: to all those drivers who think there gods gift to trucking, ive had a clean leicense for 15 years im ok , type qwotes.
well for example the A50 going out off leicester is duel carrige way with a 50 limit it even has speed cameras,no proper central reservation and i do 50 never got flashed.A556 has same 2 lanes either side no reservation,speed cameras i do 50 and get ÂŁ60 fine 3 points.

is this set to make money or make me safe,if its the later what is the point off a duel rd, to move traffic faster then put a 40 limit on said rd.

before drivers make rash coments on the abilaty off others we should first have a level playing field acros the hole country.
then and only then can you put your hands up and say yes that was c.d.

looking forward to the gods picking holes. mark.

harley man were abouts on the a50 are you talking about?

if its the bit running from the ring road to the m1 at jnc 21 then its seperated by pavement and grass which means its a duel carridge way.

the a556 has 4 lanes running side by side (2 each way)with no seperation which means its not a duel carridge way

jon

If no proper central reservation means a single carriageway road. What is the A34M? Ok it has a dividing lane, but that won’t stop a truck from crossing the carriageway.

Just read another thread on this subject and the A38M has been discussed. Yes I got the number wrong, :blush: Don’t ever ask me for directions as I always do that, I know were I’m sending you but the road number will make no sense at all :blush: :blush: :blush:

yes i am talking about the rd between A46 b/leyes and jnt 22 it has a grass verge no armco so it is single carrigeway.
The armco even has to be a serten height before you can class as d/c.
as i said before we need a level playing field,aston express way is a motorway with speed restristions,but is single carrige way if you take the letter off the law as read in highway code.
the road needs a barrier that is unbroken to be classed as deulcarrigeway.

harley man:
the road needs a barrier that is unbroken to be classed as deulcarrigeway.

Not true, to be classed as a dual carriageway there has to be a physical separation between the streams of traffic travelling in opposite directions and this can be a grass or concrete verge with or without a crash barrier. It can’t just be painted lines on the road but there is no requirement for armco.

coffeeholic if its able to stop you crossing with a car truck etc then and only then,can it be classed as d/c.
think about it for a min,and i bet you can name at least 10 roads that dont fall into d/c but are used as such.
ref my ist post about level playing fields,the A50 in that area is posted corectly but speed cameras are set to 56mph to catch car drivers.
we could do away with all this if we all used the same speed up to motorway class roads. rgds mark.

harley man:
coffeeholic if its able to stop you crossing with a car truck etc then and only then,can it be classed as d/c.

Sorry Mark but again that is not true, there is no requirement for anything to stop you crossing it just has to be more than paint and a simple grass verge is enough.

I just did a quick search to find conformation but it’s late so I didn’t delve too deeply but found this quote on two websites: www.theorytestadvice.co.uk

The term dual carriageway simply refers to a road where there is a physical separation between streams of traffic travelling in opposite directions. The barrier is usually a grass verge in the centre of the road (with or without a crash barrier).

yes sorry i work nights again the wording is corect physical separation,a grass verge is not enough or we would just use that on a motorway.

the roads carry the same speed limit 70mph it cannot be one rule for m class rds and one for d/c A roads. i no what it says in the h/c but in the main this was writen in the 50s and upgraded in 75ish. for speed limits ect.
so back to square one it does need a separation off sorts there are 3 in the main, armco being the most faverd at the moment.
ask your county council. rgds mark

harley man:
yes sorry i work nights again the wording is corect physical separation,a grass verge is not enough or we would just use that on a motorway.

No we would not just use a grass verge on a motorway, or it wouldn’t be a motorway in that case, but on a dual carriageway it is enough to classify it as such in law.

Neil is right on this one.

The technical description of what constitutes a dual-carriageway is fairly vague. However, a strip of grass is sufficient.

The important point to note is this. A true dual carriageway is always announced in advance by a blue rectangular sign reading “dual carriageway ahead”.

Vince

Yep, I’m with Neil and Vince…

A dual carriageway means just what it says on the tin, ie. a road with two carriageways.

A carriageway is defined as basically being a strip of tarmac (or whatever), which is what “carrys” the road…so if all the lanes are on one strip it is single-carriageway, if they are on two strips it is dual-carriageway.

Thinking of it along those lines, it doesn’t matter whether the bit between the two strips is grass, armco, or marshmallow…nor is the number of lanes on each strip relevant.

LucyR:
it doesn’t matter whether the bit between the two strips is grass, armco, or marshmallow…

But does the marshmallow have to be a certain height or thickness? :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Coffeeholic:
But does the marshmallow have to be a certain height or thickness? :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

No…just not pink ones…:wink:

I like the ones with coconut on them !

LucyR:

A dual carriageway means just what it says on the tin, ie. a road with two carriageways.

if they are on two strips it is dual-carriageway.

quote]

Not necessarily. To be classed as a Dual Carriageway, it must, as others have said, have a physical centre separation which can be grass, kerbed tarmac, trees, hedge, or barrier, or wires. (or marshmallow)
Car Limit 70 (unless signed lower) Transit van to 7.5 tonne 60 LGV 50

If it does not have this physical separation, it is then a Dual Lane Road, single carriageway.
Cars 60 (unless signed lower) <7.5t 50 LGV 40

ANY Road carrying an “M” designation is a motorway.
Cars 70 (unless signed lower) < 7.5t 70 LGV 60

To be on an “M” designated road, you will have passed at some point (it could be several hours ago) a “Start of Motorway” sign stating such along with prohibited traffic such as horse drawn & agricultural.
If you are unsure, what colour are the direction sign boards on approach to an exit?
If they are BLUE, you are on a motorway, if they are GREEN, you aren’t!

Fact.

Regards, Jonathan
Ex LGV C+E Instructor
DSA ADI
RoSPA Gold

Driveroneuk:

LucyR:

if they are on two strips it is dual-carriageway.

quote]

Not necessarily. To be classed as a Dual Carriageway, it must, as others have said, have a physical centre separation which can be grass, kerbed tarmac, trees, hedge, or barrier, or wires. (or marshmallow)

Which is exactly what Lucy said so how is it ‘Not necessarily?’

yes the marsh mellow would have a load bearing and a height limit.
and have crash testing at mira. but i think we have come off the point.

every driver no mater wear he or she is in the country,by simply looking at a peice off road lighting ect,the driver should be able to say the limit.
now is this the case,ive been on double carrige way in dunstable A505
that is 30mph go 3 miles to luton its 40mph but a fence is put up.
40mph on large single carrige way, then 50 then 40 for just enough time for the speed camera to get you, no road classification change,no hospital,
no school just a camera.
the D.S.A. say that the perpose off rd signs are to give its message clearly and early enough to
see it
understand it
act safely on it.
is this the case ■■?

But the road you refer to has plenty of signs indicating the different limits at the various points along it so any driver will know the limit on whatever section they are on.

I don’t believe that this type of road should be any cause for confusion. The confusion seems to be on roads where there is no reduced limit and the national speed limit for that category of road and the vehicle being driven applies and drivers don’t know what is a single or dual carriageway and what the speed limits are for their vehicle on the relevant type of road.

You can’t just look at the street lighting and know the limit, what about roads where the lighting would indicate a 30 mph zone but it has signs imposing a 20 mph zone?

Driveroneuk:
To be on an “M” designated road, you will have passed at some point (it could be several hours ago) a “Start of Motorway” sign stating such along with prohibited traffic such as horse drawn & agricultural.
If you are unsure, what colour are the direction sign boards on approach to an exit?
If they are BLUE, you are on a motorway, if they are GREEN, you aren’t!

Fact.

Regards, Jonathan
Ex LGV C+E Instructor
DSA ADI
RoSPA Gold

Absolutely. I have repeatedly emailed Commercial Motor magazine over the last three weeks to try to correct erronious information which they gave to a driver who has received a summons for driving at 47mph on a motorway.

Patric Cunnane refuses to answer my emails.

Simple answer- don`t buy Commercial Motor.

Vince