40, 50 or 56 mph!

I know this has been aired before but it’s been bugging me for the last couple of weeks! :confused:

Now I don’t have a problem if the lorry in front wants to sit at 40 mph on a single carriageway road. It is the Law afterall but I will freely admit that it’s not always for me. I tend to assess the conditions, (traffic, road, weather etc) as to my overall speed! :sunglasses:

Now, if these guys are gonna sit at the legal limit, why do they always seem to sit out to the right, near the white line so nobody, not even the fastest car can get past because they’re blocking the view ahead? I always try and let cars & vans past by moving slightly to the left when it’s clear ahead. :sunglasses:

They then always speed up to 56 mph, or whatever their limiter is set at when they come to a duel carriageway, therefore not giving anyone else an opportunity to overtake but as soon as they get back to a single carriageway, thye’re back down to 40! :cry: If your going to stick to speed limits, then THEY ALL apply and it’s 50 mph on a duel carriageway!

Then there is the car/van/truck which you have caught up with, pull out to overtake and they match your speed, leaving you stranded out in the second lane, or worse, on the wrong side of the road! :smiling_imp: Thats why I don’t pull out when I pass a sliproad. Those broken white lines along the left of my carriageway on the main road mean the vehicle joining is supposed to give way to the right - ie ME!

Anyway, thats my rant over, it’s a sunny Sunday (for now) I better go and enjoy whats left of it. It’ll be dark early tonight as the clocks have changed! :smiley:

it is because the are selfrighteous tossers.

you may think i am pedantic he but some time its not the drivers fault the truck that the driver is in could have a tracker in and there no where the and what the road speeds are and there could have it in there contract to follow all the regs take a look at a supermarket lately there have limited there trucks to 50 mph,

at the mo the transport industry is trying to look as green as it can and of course to save fuel and keep competitive in the market the driver is the one you take you anger out cos there just doing there job don’t blame the there not all at fault

delboytwo:
you may think i am pedantic he but some time its not the drivers fault the truck that the driver is in could have a tracker in and there no where the and what the road speeds are and there could have it in there contract to follow all the regs take a look at a supermarket lately there have limited there trucks to 50 mph,

at the mo the transport industry is trying to look as green as it can and of course to save fuel and keep competitive in the market the driver is the one you take you anger out cos there just doing there job don’t blame the there not all at fault

but that is no excuse for him driving along the centre white line and speeding up when someone tries to overtake.
if he sits at 40, then he should do it responsibly, not self righteously.

limeyphil:
but that is no excuse for him driving along the centre white line and speeding up when someone tries to overtake.
if he sits at 40, then he should do it responsibly, not self righteously.

i do agree with you there mate you will in any business do something that is wrong and not pay the game as there say

there could be a simple reason to why the driver is hogging the white lines there bored with the job or why there like speeding up its to have a bit of fun at your expense cos there bored and you will get those driver that just do not like it when some one try’ s to get passed

there always one that will upset you in your days work, how many times in a day do you think that you have had a bad word said in some cab somewhere, it happens, you will never change it, it life

i sit at 45 on single lane roads, not because i’m an arse but because i don’t rush anywhere. if i see a queue building up behind me, i’ll try to pull into a layby to let them past or i’ll keep the same speed in the dual cariageway sections/overtaking lanes till they’ve passed. it’s called courtesy and it’s lacking in a lot of drivers these days, cars and trucks alike.

zebadee:
Then there is the car/van/truck which you have caught up with, pull out to overtake and they match your speed, leaving you stranded out in the second lane, or worse, on the wrong side of the road!

this annoys me greatly. it just shows that the driver isn’t concentrating :angry:

timmo.
you play the game the way it should be done. it’s a shame others don’t.

limeyphil:
timmo.

thankyou. the job is stressful enough without adding to your own or others misery. if there was more courtesy from people, we’d all get where we’re going a bit quicker and safer, and there’d be more love out there for us drivers… and i could start wearing a kaftan and beads and put some flowers in my hair!

i know… TAXI FOR THE HIPPIE!

i would just like to thank timmo for being the considerate driver he is on the roads, there aint many like you left on the roads that do that now :smiley: :smiley:

limeyphil:
timmo.

Ya right there Phil, Tims real old fashioned pro lmao! :laughing: :sunglasses:

i have been known to leave my halo at home sometimes… :wink:

When i see a car or van right up my @rse weaving in and out trying to overtake on blind bends just to make up one second of time i’ll hog the white line and make it difficult for them. If however they sit a suitable distance behind so they can see the road ahead and overtake sensibly then fine by me :slight_smile:

Unless its a lorry i very rarely pull out to let people out on slip roads as they’ll either slow down and pull in behind or speed up and leave me hanging out to dry, very rarely do i get a numpty who will want to take on a 40 ton truck, although i do shudder sometimes when i see cars crawling along the slip road at 30/40mph like theyre on a sunday drive :confused:

I won’t budge over the 40mph limit on a single carriageway road, but at least when you get half a mile of 2 lanes i stick at 40mph too, it makes no difference to me and everyone can get past… I don’t know why every trucker doesn’t tbh, i’ve seen it happen so much when they’ll ride the limiter so people can’t get past, causes a lot of anger and therefore danger in others driving.

philmots:
I won’t budge over the 40mph limit on a single carriageway road, but at least when you get half a mile of 2 lanes i stick at 40mph too, it makes no difference to me and everyone can get past… I don’t know why every trucker doesn’t tbh, i’ve seen it happen so much when they’ll ride the limiter so people can’t get past, causes a lot of anger and therefore danger in others driving.

timmo:
i sit at 45 on single lane roads, not because i’m an arse but because i don’t rush anywhere. if i see a queue building up behind me, i’ll try to pull into a layby to let them past or i’ll keep the same speed in the dual cariageway sections/overtaking lanes till they’ve passed. it’s called courtesy and it’s lacking in a lot of drivers these days, cars and trucks alike.

BRAVO X 2 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

(apart from the 45 but that is the drivers choice if safe to do so - it’s the driver who risks the points etc)

The white line running could also be because they are newbies and fear losing their nearside mirror, or they are left hook drivers learning a new position :slight_smile:

zebadee:
I know this has been aired before but it’s been bugging me for the last couple of weeks! :confused:

Now I don’t have a problem if the lorry in front wants to sit at 40 mph on a single carriageway road. It is the Law afterall but I will freely admit that it’s not always for me. I tend to assess the conditions, (traffic, road, weather etc) as to my overall speed! :sunglasses:

Now, if these guys are gonna sit at the legal limit, why do they always seem to sit out to the right, near the white line so nobody, not even the fastest car can get past because they’re blocking the view ahead? I always try and let cars & vans past by moving slightly to the left when it’s clear ahead. :sunglasses:

They then always speed up to 56 mph, or whatever their limiter is set at when they come to a duel carriageway, therefore not giving anyone else an opportunity to overtake but as soon as they get back to a single carriageway, thye’re back down to 40! :cry: If your going to stick to speed limits, then THEY ALL apply and it’s 50 mph on a duel carriageway!

Then there is the car/van/truck which you have caught up with, pull out to overtake and they match your speed, leaving you stranded out in the second lane, or worse, on the wrong side of the road! :smiling_imp: Thats why I don’t pull out when I pass a sliproad. Those broken white lines along the left of my carriageway on the main road mean the vehicle joining is supposed to give way to the right - ie ME!

Anyway, thats my rant over, it’s a sunny Sunday (for now) I better go and enjoy whats left of it. It’ll be dark early tonight as the clocks have changed! :smiley:

Exactly how i feel, every day i go from swindon to oxford on the a420… I cant stand it when they do this, its bad when u have 30 odd cars up ya bummy and they dont think to pull over, the amount of cars ive seen overtake 5/10 cars in one go in such dangerous places is unreal… Start thinking these people.

A lot of drivers on the A66 Penrith to Scotch corner road are the same. Total ■■■■■■■■■ if you ask me. Let the speeders past, sometimes it is more dangerous to hold the traffic up than to let it go.

Niko:
A lot of drivers on the A66 Penrith to Scotch corner road are the same. Total [zb] if you ask me. Let the speeders past, sometimes it is more dangerous to hold the traffic up than to let it go.

quite true there

this quite often happens on the A1 north between Newcastle - Edinburgh mainly the ASDA /John Lewis/Debenhams although there are some that let you past or will pull into a layby but not all

the A17 between boston and sleaford, they sit at 40 then hit the dual and ride the limiter like they making a run for the border :exclamation: :exclamation: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cruise Control:
the A17 between boston and sleaford, they sit at 40 then hit the dual and ride the limiter like they making a run for the border :exclamation: :exclamation: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I must admit that the A17 is the one road where i sit at 40 ish and when i hit Sleaford twin track i sit at 50 max and once the backlog is clear i increase speed to make sure a 38mph trolley dolly doesn’t shaft me after the dual. Normally on single A roads i’ll sit at 50 or just under. However, nighttime, i get along as fast as i can. (they won’t spot me in the dark!!! :wink: )