Speed in UK

gnn.gov.uk/environment/fullD … ment=False

NOTES TO EDITORS

1. Published on 5 April 2007. Further figures and details will be published in Road Statistics 2006: Traffic, Speeds and Congestion in July 2007.

2. Data for this survey are collated from 36 sites where a 30 or 40 mph limit applies and at 60 other sites. The sites have been selected so that speeds are not seriously constrained by road layout, traffic congestion or by the proximity of speed cameras. The speeds are recorded as vehicles pass over an automatic counter and do not represent speeds over a longer distance. They do however provide an indication of compliance with speed limits.

3. Outside built-up areas, the normal speed limits currently in force are as follows :-

Motorway Dual C/way Single C/way
Cars and Motorcycles 70 70 60
Buses and Coaches 70 60 50
HGVs(>7.5 tonnes) 60 50 40

Am i missing something■■?

Whats your point■■?

:confused:

The Speed for HGV’s is still 60mph

On a Motorway yes it is…

But still i fail to see your point (im not having a go i just dont understand what your getting at)

Many Transportoffices prosecute Drivers who go downhill over 56mph
Was just as info posted

Isnt the 56 mph set by the EEC our mates in brussels??
If as you say its the transport office prosecuting (penalising?) drivers then is that not an in house rule, For example some of the supermarket chains may (i dont know) frown upon and maybe even penalise/warn any driver exceeding 50 mph at any time
But the law is 60mph and i dont care what brussels say if i can get it upto 60mph then i will (but i wont exceed it)

Bruxelles says just that you must fit a Speedlimiter who cuts Powered Speed to 56mph

Which is what i said but the U.K. law is 60 mph And as im driving in the U.K. i abide by the laws of this country if i was driving ADR in belgium for example then i would have to drive at 80 kmh as that is there law for their country you abide by the laws of the country you drive in

Which makes the 56 mph limiter laughable i know but hey ho

But are you driving under the domestic hours or EU hours?

Also it comes under the vehicle construction and regulations use, hence why a LGV can go 60mph,

I maybe wrong but I was told that by a traffic copper when i was last on shift.

Hours■■? wtf

I thought it was to do with the speed limits not hours or regulations …

but there you go i maybe wrong

Reef, Good point. lol

ok, european law trys to say 90kph 55.8 mph… but under domestic law the vehicle construction and regulations uses… you can drive at 60mph in the uk.

unless i am mistaken.

I dunno who covers what law to be honest dm i just go by the highway code.
If a copper pulled me and said i shouldnt be doing 60 i would offer to take him to wh smiths (or any other reputable book seller) and buy him a copy

The maximum speed limit for an HGV is still 60 mph in the UK (road traffic law)… however an HGV should not be capable of being driven faster than its limited maximum speed of 90 kmh (construction regs).

Hence you can go down hill at 60mph and not be breaking the law but should your vehicle be capable of maintaining that 60 mph,under power,along the flat (or uphill even) then you would be breaking the law by doing so.

That was how it was explained to me anyway. :wink:

yes, that is how i understand it bullit. The max speed by law is 60, but the law also states that (now) anything over 3.5 tonne must be fitted with a speed limiting device & that device must work.

There is no law to say doing 60 down hill is illegal.

However, some companies may have their own in house policy & internal method of dealing with drivers who do not adhere to the rules.

So who breaks the law if you can maintain that speed.
You, or the constructer/maintainer of the vehicle or the owner this is not good the EU just confuses tihs to justifie its existance if you ask me. :angry:

Lovlyperson:
Many Transportoffices prosecute Drivers who go downhill over 56mph
Was just as info posted

Wake up. Transport offices can’t and don’t prosecute anyone. Theu may flag you as an infringement, but its not a prosecution or even breaking the law. If pushed you can sign the infringement note, ‘unsigned’ or mickey mouse. VOSA can not do you for it either. Its called a technicality!!

Reef:
i abide by the laws of this country if i was driving ADR in belgium for example then i would have to drive at 80 kmh as that is there law for their country

Really? :unamused:

just a point the EU dosnt pass laws in imperial measurements only SI units

I read somewhere that speedlimiters were originally supposed to be set at 85kph but there is a 5 kph tolerance which brings it up to 90Kph,

Robbies Dad:

Reef:
i abide by the laws of this country if i was driving ADR in belgium for example then i would have to drive at 80 kmh as that is there law for their country

Really? :unamused:

So i was lead to believe if that info was wrong then shoot me and i’ll pass on the bullet for you :wink: