HGV Speed Limits

I was told today at work that there is to be a new speed limit brought in and this is going to be 52 :cry: miles per hr I know a lot of firms have opted to restrict there vehicles to less than the current 56 for 1 reason or another but was told that it is some eu ruleing.
can anybody say whether this is a true statement or just gossip again

This will be a company decision, not an eu ruling. Something to do with mpg.

Isnt the speed limit for a Hgv on a motorway in GB 60 mph?

Suedehead:
Isnt the speed limit for a Hgv on a motorway in GB 60 mph?

yeh thats right,bol,lox ,to brussels
:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

It’s BS. As soon as you hear anyone who is sounding off about a new rule start down the ‘It’s an EU ruling’ route it’s 90% certain to be a load of ■■■■■■■■.

This really p’s me off. It’s only set to 56mph because we are part of the EU. All European countries abide by km/h speed limits, 56 is 90kmh. We live in BRITAIN, we use the mile not the metric system. Our limiters should be 60MPH as out speed limit is 60MPH. We do not have any metric law in this country.

we dont have metric system due to the incompetance of our leaders

This is my understanding of this one:

The Motorway speed limit is set at 60mph/98kmh by road traffic legislation and remains the legal limit for HGV under this law.

The 56mph speed limit is imposed under the Construction and Use Regulations and it is these that you break when you exceed the 56mph mark - this is why your digi tacho records overspeeds if you exceed 56mph for more than one minute and the powers that be can if they so wish use that evidence to prosecute.

I also know that if you have a C&U prosecution against you for overspeed then Yearsley’s will not employ you, don’t know about other firms.

CM:

The Motorway speed limit is set at 60mph/98kmh by road traffic legislation and remains the legal limit for HGV under this law.

The 56mph speed limit is imposed under the Construction and Use Regulations and it is these that you break when you exceed the 56mph mark - this is why your digi tacho records overspeeds if you exceed 56mph for more than one minute and the powers that be can if they so wish use that evidence to prosecute.

There is a PROPOSAL on the Governments books to make the LEGAL max speed for all LGVs & PCVs 56mph but so far no action has been taken on this. This will be for all vehicles over 3.5tonnes & minibuses etc IF ever introduced.

CM:

The 56mph speed limit is imposed under the Construction and Use Regulations and it is these that you break when you exceed the 56mph mark

That is another Driver’s Urban Myth. The regulations regarding speed limiters state the speed limiter must prevent the vehicle being powered beyond the set speed. If on a motorway the vehicle exceeds the limited speed due to momentum no offence has been committed, provided the speed remains at 60 or less and the speed limiter is in working order. This is the same for digital or analogue tacho equipped vehicles. The Overspeed warning on digi tachos is a meaningless thing it is not an infringement it is simply an advisory.

CM:
this is why your digi tacho records overspeeds if you exceed 56mph for more than one minute and the powers that be can if they so wish use that evidence to prosecute.

No they can’t, provided the limiter is in working order, you are on a motorway with normal national speed limits in place and you do not exceed 60 mph.

CM:
I also know that if you have a C&U prosecution against you for overspeed then Yearsley’s will not employ you, don’t know about other firms.

Yearsley’s are not likely to find anyone with a prosecution for speeding under C&U regs. C&U regulations do not regulate or enforce speed limits, road traffic regulations do that. Any C&U prosecutions with regards to speed limiters would be for defective equipment or tampering with equipment, not for speeding.

Coffeeholic:
C&U regulations do not regulate or enforce speed limits, road traffic regulations do that. Any C&U prosecutions with regards to speed limiters would be for defective equipment or tampering with equipment, not for speeding.

All your post is bang on. In addition, as long as you report the speed limiter as defective/set incorrectly, then you have covered yourself in the event of an investigation for overspeed infringements.

As stated, it’s all about powered drive. There are a great many long downhill stretches, such as Windy Hill, where you can do 60MPH on overrun sufficiently long enough to trigger the Overspeed on the digi tacho.

The problems come when there are a large proportion of fairly long and numerous times where you’re exceeding 90KPH and there’s no defect report for that vehicle.