HGV Limiter speed changed?

Right,so I have been viewing some ‘trucker’ type vids on you tube and on one of them,the driver has mentioned that they are going on about imposing speed limiters on their trucks in the U.S. … Now,in the comments section,someone who’s from the U.K. has said that the legal limit for speed limiters has been lifted to 60 mph.(in the U.K.) …anyone know anything about this ■■ I’ve not heard anything…

It has been 60mph for a long time now just most people think it is 56 as that is what most lorries are set at

Yep I know some are lower mine is set at 53 mph

LGV speed limit on uk motorways is 60mph but we are under EU speed limiter rules which are 90kph (56mph)

Try reading the Highway Code now and again it’s been in there for christ knows how long.

The limiter speed is set by the EU at 90km/h it is just an anomaly that the UK’s speed limit is set to 60 mph

merc0447:
LGV speed limit on uk motorways is 60mph but we are under EU speed limiter rules which are 90kph (56mph)

Yes, I know that…but this guy on you tube has said that the U.K. limiter settings have been raised to 60…My question is have they or haven’t they !■■ (He stated that this came in about a month ago…).

Jayen4:

merc0447:

Yes, I know that…but this guy on you tube has said that the U.K. limiter settings have been raised to 60…My question is have they or haven’t they !■■ (He stated that this came in about a month ago…).

They changed a while ago to 50 on single carriageways 56 on duel carriageway he may be getting confused on this

Still 40mph in Scotland on single carriageways though isn’t it…■■?

Another prime example of good old fashioned Drivercrap I would reckon.
An art passed down from generations of drivers, best practiced by somebody with an audience unfortunate to have to listen, in RDC.s, truckstops, cafes and ferries. :bulb:

Jayen4:

Professional driver, doesn’t even know the speed limit for the vehicle they’re driving :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Conor:

Jayen4:

Professional driver, doesn’t even know the speed limit for the vehicle they’re driving :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

When it won’t go any faster, that’s the limit! :stuck_out_tongue:

Limiters are supposed to be 90kph but have always had it set to 100kph as do hundreds of others. Will never understand UK drivers worrying about overspeeds when the road speed limit is 60mph…

I think some are being unfairly harsh on the op. I think he knows the speed limit is 60, but he’s referring to the speed limiter set point. To which there has been no change. It’s still 56mph/90kph

OVLOV JAY:
I think some are being unfairly harsh on the op. I think he knows the speed limit is 60, but he’s referring to the speed limiter set point. To which there has been no change. It’s still 56mph/90kph

Thats how i took it also, its a fair question without being jumped on…

OVLOV JAY:

+1

And if our firm raised the limiters, our Tacho software would get very upset with us about overspeeds… :unamused:
So I can’t see it happening!

Goldfinger:
Still 40mph in Scotland on single carriageways though isn’t it…■■?

Yep you are right there

animal:
They changed a while ago to 50 on single carriageways 56 on duel carriageway he may be getting confused on this

Wrong 50 single, 60 dual thank EU for the limit of 56.

mazzer:
The limiter speed is set by the EU at 90km/h it is just an anomaly that the UK’s speed limit is set to 60 mph

We have a thing called Domestic rules for those lucky enough not to fall into EU regs.

Conor:

Jayen4:

Former Professional driver, can’t even comprehend a question.

He was asking about EU regs on speed limiters bird brain. RTFQ, read the F-in question.

tommymanc:

mazzer:

We have a thing called Domestic rules for those lucky enough not to fall into EU regs.

Domestic regs only covers hours not vehicle construction and use and type approval which in this case,as in others,is governed by an EU directive which trumps the UK truck motorway speed limit.

As for the US imposition of limiters 65 mph is a more reasonable speed which seems to be what they intend to set them at.With the effects on over taking speed differentials probably therefore not being as bad as here also bearing in mind that lane discipline isn’t really such an issue there either which reduces the pressure to return to lane 1 or 2 etc.But the idea of not being able to use a higher unlimited speed temporarily to break any potential elephant racing scenario and create a decent seperation distance faster is still obviously not ideal.While if it’s anything like the situation with the old 55 mph limit I can foresee a lot of aggro over there with the imposition of E logs and limiters on the industry this time with many drivers choosing to walking away from it all.Instead of bothering to rebel against it all as they did in the 1970’s and 1980’s.Probably to the point where they were running much faster without limiters under the 55 mph limit then,than they will be able to now with higher limits but limiters.

As far as I know and I do like to keep my finger up things 56mph +or- a bung is the fastest speed most HGV’s are allowed to obtain under their own steam, gradients etc can enhance this quite a bit.

There’s also a few secret overrides as with any software system.
I.e. My Renault will bypass the limiter if you press S1, and S2 at the same time for 30 seconds then after the double beep, press S1 followed by ‘off’ whilst pressing accelerator pedal all the way down and selecting Rock FM on the radio. :wink:

Be careful though, if you accidently select ‘classic FM or Radio 4’ the dash will flash up a picture of a Nissan Micra with a hat on the rear parcel shelf and your speed will be limited to 45mph.

Dipper_Dave:
As far as I know and I do like to keep my finger up things 56mph +or- a bung is the fastest speed most HGV’s are allowed to obtain under their own steam, gradients etc can enhance this quite a bit.

There’s also a few secret overrides as with any software system.
I.e. My Renault will bypass the limiter if you press S1, and S2 at the same time for 30 seconds then after the double beep, press S1 followed by ‘off’ whilst pressing accelerator pedal all the way down and selecting Rock FM on the radio. :wink:

Be careful though, if you accidently select ‘classic FM or Radio 4’ the dash will flash up a picture of a Nissan Micra with a hat on the rear parcel shelf and your speed will be limited to 45mph.

Could be even worse if it flashed this up on the dash…
careco.co.uk/item-p-ms01051/ … oC8Q7w_wcB