Southwaite smash this morning

the worst ive seen , driveing through it at around 5am what a mess,road not shut then as it had just hapened but the artic on the inside lane totaly oblitirated and my heart tells me that some poor family is going to get a knock at the door :frowning: to make maters worse there wos a smash on the outside lane as well, a rigid squashed inbetween two artics probably when they were trying
to hit the brakes to get out of the way as there was debri all over the place.
came home and went upstairs to see my kids as it shocked me that it could have been me .some poor kid might not have that oportunity today :cry:

It can happen so quickly when you least expect it, even though you could be the innocent party, you and your family are the ones that suffer.

Never lost any mates when I drove back home, but I have lost 7 aquaintances since I have been driving over this side of the the Atlantic. The saddest story was when one of our drivers died less than 15 minutes from home after being ’ up the road ’ for three weeks, he had even phoned his 5 year old daughter to tell her to wait by the window and watch for when he came down the street ( it was his special ritual he and her had everytime he came home) a few minutes later he burned alive in his cab after being hit by a crack crazed flatbed driver, the sad thing was, his daughter was still waiting in vain at the window unaware ’ Daddy ’ would never come home again, she was in fact still patiently waiting when the police knocked on the door almost two hours after he had died.

It is so sad and a waste of some one,s loved one/s when the

accident happens, We can only try our best to ensure that as we

travel on the road , that we are the only sane driver around and

treat every other road user as unsafe , defensive driveing is

the best method I belive. Once again my thoughts are with

those who have lost loved ones in the accident

just heard how it happend probably third or forth hand but the gefco artic that ended up in the hard shoulder saw some very dim lights in front of him turned out to be an old fire engine traveling about 20 mph gefco driver realizes to late to pull out and some ones next to him so can’t get out runs in to the back of the fire engine knocking it in to a spin rathbourne artic jack knifes at the back of gefco and an interlink artic came up middle lane and totaly disintegrates the fire engine and ends up jack knifed in the fast lane,as far as i have been led to beleave the driver of the fire engine has a broken arm and shoulder :open_mouth: i’ve no reason to disbeleave the guy who told me this so if you saw the aftermath of this crash you will say as i have,that the driver of the fire engine must have had a guardian angel watching that morning.as i said third or forth hand so lets hope it’s true and all the drivers got home safe.why did i not stop i don’t know coward frightend i can’t explain sorry :blush:

Sad story’s indeed. :cry:

It’s very sad, these things can happen in an instant. I agree with Brit Pete, defensive driving is the best way to get there and back in one piece.

Take it easy out there

:frowning: I wonder if the slow - moving old fire engine had a working flashing amber beacon at the back? If I was moving at only 20 mph on a motorway, I’d insist on one, especially travelling in the dark. :open_mouth:

I expect it will all be revealed at the inquiry.

Very Sad.

JDB:
just heard how it happend probably third or forth hand but the gefco artic that ended up in the hard shoulder saw some very dim lights in front of him turned out to be an old fire engine traveling about 20 mph gefco driver realizes to late to pull out and some ones next to him so can’t get out runs in to the back of the fire engine knocking it in to a spin rathbourne artic jack knifes at the back of gefco and an interlink artic came up middle lane and totaly disintegrates the fire engine and ends up jack knifed in the fast lane,as far as i have been led to beleave the driver of the fire engine has a broken arm and shoulder :open_mouth: i’ve no reason to disbeleave the guy who told me this so if you saw the aftermath of this crash you will say as i have,that the driver of the fire engine must have had a guardian angel watching that morning.as i said third or forth hand so lets hope it’s true and all the drivers got home safe.why did i not stop i don’t know coward frightend i can’t explain sorry :blush:

Hi mate do you know if it was a uk reg gefco truck or a foreign one■■?

simon

scottish driver based in bellshill,he had a white demonstrator that morning so i never recognized him as a gefco lorry i was so gobsmaked driving past it all thinking the worst,i also thought it was an artic unit that had been hit totaly unrecognizable i was also amazed the road was still open must have happened 10 or 15 mins before i passed,hope this helps.