Shunters licence true or false?

:unamused: you know the score somebody overhears i have a lgv licence, then they start a embarrassing conversation, it goes something like " yeah i did a test to move the rigid tipper around the yard, its a shunters licence not valid for the road" an yet he has said he has never drove a c+e vehicle just this rigid tipper in low range around the yard? i said blimey i saw some full time shunters driveing these strange tractor units whizzing about picking up an dropping supermarket trailers all over the place backwards blind reverses etc . is this guy talking sillyâ– â– ? :question: :stuck_out_tongue:

There are INTERNAL shunters CERTIFICATES but as far as I know there is not a national one.

Maybe he meant he did an assessment at the company he works for.

The strange tractor units you refer to are probably tugs, vehicles designed for the job of moving trailers around.

yep i know there are internal shunters licences but surely you could not get one from moving a rigid about a bit an not even ever got in an articulated vehicle, an yep i know the tugs are for moving trailers this was my point the way they move those supermarket trailers about it is a very skilled job, which brings me back to the point surely you would have to do some articulated trailer manouvering before getting the shunters licence, unless it is a internal thing just for that company? :wink:

donpablo:
surely you would have to do some articulated trailer manouvering before getting the shunters licence, unless it is a internal thing just for that company? :wink:

Most companies use people like me to go into their workplace and train warehouse people to do exactly that. :slight_smile: It is usually needed for H&S + insurance purposes.

shunting very skilled :cry:

nah its just a knack when you do the same thing in the same place hundreds of times you make it look easy :laughing:

having said that shunting is not a job for everyone

i have done it under sufference when on agency doing regular B&Q but wouldnt want it full time

its good to have a good shunter who knows what hes doing
but doing it ad hoc is stressful in a busy yard even when you are number 2

I agree with Hitch. I did a stint shunting in United Carriers yard in Howden. We had 50 bays and 70 trailers plus 35 rigids to juggle. no phones, no plan just get them on where you could :stuck_out_tongue:

Bloody good experience and exercise. I could probably do with another stint.

It certainly isnt easy but you are a tin God when you are the shunter :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
I agree with Hitch. I did a stint shunting in United Carriers yard in Howden. We had 50 bays and 70 trailers plus 35 rigids to juggle. no phones, no plan just get them on where you could :stuck_out_tongue:

Bloody good experience and exercise. I could probably do with another stint.

It certainly isnt easy but you are a tin God when you are the shunter :smiley:

It’s a shame that in these days of H&S and insurance needs, we cannot use wannabe LGV drivers to do this job as I did when I started in the late 70s. Had no licence at all and an artic driver showed me the ropes for a week - on week two I was the only night yard shunter - proper unit as well, none of the new shunter cabs then :exclamation: :slight_smile:
I hated those Scamell couplings - bloody things were always dropping on their knees :angry: - forklift time again :cry:
The 40 foot trailers with the single axle at the very rear were fun - not