SHUNT INFO ?

Had an interview today and he was talking to me more about a shunt job, would a newbie be able to do this job do you think, saying that will only get better 12 hours a day 5 days a week.

sweeper1gg:
Had an interview today and he was talking to me more about a shunt job, would a newbie be able to do this job do you think, saying that will only get better 12 hours a day 5 days a week.

Internal yard shunting is what I did on permanent nights for over a year before I got any licence !
Passed the reverse on what was the HGV class 1 (now CE) very easily :smiley:

First 18 months after I passed my test I was shunting most of the time with the odd run out, you’ll pick it up quickly enough with all the practice

Why not? Plenty of practice to be had.

Don’t forget to collect your “I hate all drivers” badge from stores on your first day :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have done shunting.It keeps you fit.In and out of the cab.Winding legs.It is quite rewarding.
You get experience in using different types of trailers.Where the shunt and park brake buttons are.Some experienced drivers shunt as it suits their life style and social life as no nights out.
Visiting drivers may here of a job going.
A clip board or note pad to record whats gone where and trailer numbers.
If you are on private land then no tachos.And run on red diesel.A good pair of work gloves and a boiler suit for the grease/oil is ideal.
Working in all weathers.Water proofs too.

It’s a brilliant job, I would love to do it one day. The yard rules don’t apply to you, one way systems, lines on the floor, hazards on etc etc you just do what you want. And in no uncertain circumstances do you EVER stop and wait for anyone, just push in and get those trailers moved because if you slow down you will blow up. “50, stay above 50!!”

Some driver’s would love a shunt job…regular hours/never far from home/not dealing with public - should be great experience - especially for coupling & uncoupling!!!
At worst, it’s a foot in the door!

Good luck if you decide to go for it!!!

I’m a Shunter I work 35 hours a week I’ve been on permanent afternoons for the past 10 years and I earn twice as much as when I was tramping for over 20 years I do sometimes miss the open road I missed all my kids growing up but now there older we go out for good family times at the weekend I treat all lorry drivers with the upmost respect even the many rude ones what come through our gates like I said I was a lorry driver once and I know what it’s like when your times running out I’ve got a very good relationship with the warehouse so if a drivers in a rush I’ll even pull a trailer off the dock so they can get tipped quicker so there are some good guys out I’ve got my own restored lorry that I can go out and play with at the weekend

and here’s my work toy

That’s the best place to learn, in the yard.
Twelve months of shunting trailers will give you the confidence to go anywhere, blindside on tight bays? No problem, park in busy MSA’s? No worries.
Just don’t be using that shunt button out on the road!

They said to me we have had agency in but there going through walls and bump’s WHAT MAKE’S THEM THINK I WON’T :grimacing:

gazsa401:
I’m a Shunter I work 35 hours a week I’ve been on permanent afternoons for the past 10 years and I earn twice as much as when I was tramping for over 20 years I do sometimes miss the open road I missed all my kids growing up but now there older we go out for good family times at the weekend I treat all lorry drivers with the upmost respect even the many rude ones what come through our gates like I said I was a lorry driver once and I know what it’s like when your times running out I’ve got a very good relationship with the warehouse so if a drivers in a rush I’ll even pull a trailer off the dock so they can get tipped quicker so there are some good guys out I’ve got my own restored lorry that I can go out and play with at the weekend 1 and here’s my work toy 0

Good man :slight_smile: great post and thanks for the pick’s, never seen one before a shunt truck before, at least you have plenty of vision. I will just see if he ring’s me now. how many trailer’s do you shift a day or is that a silly question, are you flat out all day.

sweeper1gg:

gazsa401:
I’m a Shunter I work 35 hours a week I’ve been on permanent afternoons for the past 10 years and I earn twice as much as when I was tramping for over 20 years I do sometimes miss the open road I missed all my kids growing up but now there older we go out for good family times at the weekend I treat all lorry drivers with the upmost respect even the many rude ones what come through our gates like I said I was a lorry driver once and I know what it’s like when your times running out I’ve got a very good relationship with the warehouse so if a drivers in a rush I’ll even pull a trailer off the dock so they can get tipped quicker so there are some good guys out I’ve got my own restored lorry that I can go out and play with at the weekend 1 and here’s my work toy 0

Good man :slight_smile: great post and thanks for the pick’s, never seen one before a shunt truck before, at least you have plenty of vision. I will just see if he ring’s me now. how many trailer’s do you shift a day or is that a silly question, are you flat out all day.

thanks mate sometimes upto 60 a day plus our haulage contractor has 4 rigid lorries as well so I have to load them as well I work directly for my firm and all our transport is done by a contractor I have to put all the park brakes on and also I have to chock the trailers as well and don’t be afraid to ask any question you can always ask me mate I’m on holiday now for a fortnight good luck in getting the job and remember KEEP SAFE

gazsa401:

sweeper1gg:

gazsa401:

thanks mate sometimes upto 60 a day plus our haulage contractor has 4 rigid lorries as well so I have to load them as well I work directly for my firm and all our transport is done by a contractor I have to put all the park brakes on and also I have to chock the trailers as well and don’t be afraid to ask any question you can always ask me mate I’m on holiday now for a fortnight good luck in getting the job and remember KEEP SAFE

Brill, :wink:

[=“FarnboroughBoy11”]It’s a brilliant job, I would love to do it one day. The yard rules don’t apply to you, one way systems, lines on the floor, hazards on etc etc you just do what you want. And in no uncertain circumstances do you EVER stop and wait for anyone, just push in and get those trailers moved because if you slow down you will blow up. “50, stay above 50!!”
[/quote]
Thats made me laugh :smiley: :smiley: and your not wrong

Dafman:
[=“FarnboroughBoy11”]It’s a brilliant job, I would love to do it one day. The yard rules don’t apply to you, one way systems, lines on the floor, hazards on etc etc you just do what you want. And in no uncertain circumstances do you EVER stop and wait for anyone, just push in and get those trailers moved because if you slow down you will blow up. “50, stay above 50!!”

Thats made me laugh :smiley: :smiley: and your not wrong
[/quote]
+1 That is funny :laughing: :laughing:

If you get to do shunting,it is very easy to forget to apply the parking brake in the tug or tractor unit.
Whatever you do, do not attempt to stand in front of a run away.Many have and got killed.
It is human nature to stand in front of something to stop it moving.
If it does run away,never stand in between the trailer and tractor unit.All drivers have forgot the park brake,me included.
Take your time.Take it easy.A steady pace.Plenty of tea/coffee breaks.

If I had to go back and use my licence again I would be looking for shunting work. As others have said, you know where you are and what you are doing. None of the nightmares of “can you just call into … on your way back tonight !”

It’s 12 hours at a go and you might not even go out of the gate. I used to work Exel at Yate and they had some old tractors fitted with lifting gear for the plate. Not as plush as the proper tug down at the Warmley Wincanton depot. Yes it does keep you fit and after a bit you could even show your OCD tendancies. You get to know :

1. Don’t use 302 of the 300 series for fridge work as the fridge is only good for chilled
    '2. If you wait for the next type of trailer to come in you can get that driver to put it on the door, to save you moving another trailer
  2. Put … type of trailer on that door early to save the panic when it gets busy.

The list goes on and you can make the job work for you after a bit. Go for it !

Dont forget to remain cool and aloof even though you really want to be loved. :laughing:

Shunter drivers really pee me off the way they get those dammed trailer onto the bay first time :grimacing:
Go for it, and as has been said, you will get some great experience.